Why there are so many people using 2 weapons?

#61Corkhead82Posted 12/14/2012 11:31:03 AM
People who boast about their gaming prowess like it actually means something are hilarious...
---
That right there was either a half-hearted attempt to be funny, or a wholehearted attempt to be a moron...
#62Safer_777(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2012 12:01:32 PM
I asked a question and a flame war started?Anyway both sides have right I believe.However for me the few times I used 2 guns I was forgetting that I had another one anyway,so it does't suit me.
---
GameFaqs is NOT the place to go for relationship advice.Nobody here gets any action unless it is their right or left hand.Including me.~Dawn and Dusk~
#63Hui_TianPosted 12/14/2012 12:05:54 PM
Safer_777 posted...
I asked a question and a flame war started?Anyway both sides have right I believe.However for me the few times I used 2 guns I was forgetting that I had another one anyway,so it does't suit me.

to each and their own good sir
#64DuneManPosted 12/14/2012 12:07:40 PM
Nafzger posted...
People who take two weapons are just bad, and think they need to have different guns for different situations. Mostly people who stay in one spot the whole time.

This sounds like the sort of nonsense Turk would spout. The second part in particular makes zero sense.

Infiltrators equipped with sniper rifles should have an SMG as a close range atlernative, for example. Biotics should just about always have an Acolyte on them for both popping shields and stunning enemies. Even soldiers can consider something like a Scorpion as backup for dealing with quad Phantoms and the like.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#65BitterBearPosted 12/14/2012 12:11:16 PM
Safer_777 posted...

You didn't start this. Nafzger going all Turk on the thread started it. For some reason, there's a whole lot of epeen wagging in ME3MP threads. I don't get it, but it's there.
#66NafzgerPosted 12/14/2012 12:19:55 PM
I made my points, but here they are again.

If you're sniping it's faster and safer to simply heavy melee a flanking enemy and then quickscope or hipfire on them rather than switch to your sidearm. Hell you can even just beat them to death if you felt like it. You also have powers that can help dispatch the flanker.

Biotics who rely solely on their biotic powers can benefit from an Acolyte alone. If you want to have a weapon as well, then I see no reason to take an Acolyte plus another weapon, when another pistol would do the job just as well. I currently don't use an Acolyte on any of my adepts. Hell I use an AR on two of them and a shotgun on one. Everything else is a Talon or Eagle.

Soldiers do just fine without a Scorpion. Use powers for crowd control. Most soldiers have some sort of CC ability.
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
http://www.last.fm/user/Rainbow_Smasher
#67ZanzuraPosted 12/14/2012 12:38:46 PM
The only secondaries I bring are the Scorpion, Falcon, and the Acolyte. Those weapons are the only ones that have the capability to stagger on demand, which makes them perfect for when you inevitably run into a Phantom death squad due to poor spawn management. Or a team that can't fend off any sizable group of enemies when you're trying to deliver the pizza/defending the hack zone because they're going for their stupid GPR weapon challenge... on Gold. Without consumables to make it not suck completely. On the squishiest class possible. With no weapon passives.

Those weapons, paired with Incendiary/Cryo/Disruptor ammo can be quite useful in completely stalling enemies from advancing or getting a shot off, along with the decent AOE damage it provides if you or your team can detonate them. I primarily use those weapons just for Phantoms if my loadout just doesn't handle them well without it.

Otherwise, if it looks like your team is competent, or your class has a powerset that isn't reliant on the Acolyte, you don't really need a secondary. If you're using a terrible weapon just to complete a challenge, at least bring a Hurricane or some other weapon that can actually kill an Atlas reasonably fast, to save your own and everyone else's time. Save it for the trooper-level enemies...unless they really, really deserve to see a magical Avenger solo (They really do if you're seriously the only one left alive.).
---
GameFAQs mods do some funny, funny things.
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3184/lolgm2.jpg
#68MalzelPosted 12/14/2012 12:45:52 PM
So taking a Hurricane is better than a Hurricane and Acolyte even though the latter provides no negatives over the former?
ok
---
It is only human to commit a sin...
#69NafzgerPosted 12/14/2012 12:49:29 PM
Malzel posted...
So taking a Hurricane is better than a Hurricane and Acolyte even though the latter provides no negatives over the former?
ok

Here's a negative: the time it takes for you to switch guns.
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
http://www.last.fm/user/Rainbow_Smasher
#70MatraTheEternalPosted 12/14/2012 12:55:28 PM
There's just as much reason to take two weapons as there is to take one. It depends on the class really. There are very few classes I ever take two weapons on but I can see the point of taking two, such as two lightweights on a power-focused class or any two guns on the Destroyer(you're just gimping yourself if you don't here, even if you're not sure you'll ever use the second gun). If all you need is something to drop shields/barriers and have powers to take care of the rest, the acolyte is the perfect gun(it's also a great phantom killer). However if you don't have powers for armor/health than you should probably be carrying a more universal gun OR a backup. As for snipers being able to "kill everything before it gets to you"...yeah, no. There are plenty of maps that just don't allow this, like Glacier, and no matter how powerful your sniper is things are going to get by or flank you, it just happens. You can't heavy melee then shoot something with a sniper if the thing you're trying to shoot stays out of melee range but still too close to shoot. Everyone has valid points here but people need to work on how they present them.