School shooting and Mass Effect

#1perfect_generalPosted 12/14/2012 12:53:11 PM
I don't if you guys are following this, but there was a horrific mass shooting at a Connecticut elementary school. If you go to the shooter's Facebook page (morbid I know), he apparently was a fan of Mass Effect. Expect the whole vilification of Mass Effect as a violent murder simulator in the following days. Just my prediction as people try to make sense of something too horrific to even comprehend.
---
"He who laughs last, doesn't get the joke"
#2MurphysGhostPosted 12/14/2012 1:03:55 PM
Awful stuff. My sister's a teacher's aide maybe an hour's drive from there, they had state cops secure their school and all the classes got locked down. Everyone was scared.

Horrible what happened to those poor kids and teachers and their families.

As for this scumbag waste of life and Mass Effect... I'd like to think we're a little past that sort of folly, but you never know. Someone at Fox will run with it.
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#3XgArrancarPosted 12/14/2012 1:06:52 PM
I am soooo tired of this "video games cause violence" BS. It's a fallacy i'm just plain tired of hearing, i don't even argue it anymore.
---
"Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?"
#4SageOfLifePosted 12/14/2012 1:08:45 PM
They always blame designated "new media" when something like this happens. It's always BS.
---
I am the lizard queen!
#5SursdaiPosted 12/14/2012 1:08:48 PM
One of the local news stations around me already said that the shooting was styled after Mass Effect.
---
Herp derp
#6perfect_general(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2012 1:11:39 PM(edited)
To be fair no one has brought it up yet, but I suspect they will, particularly Fox News since they seem to be obsessed with Mass Effect being the root of all of civilization's ills.
---
"He who laughs last, doesn't get the joke"
#7RKOMe2011Posted 12/14/2012 1:11:46 PM
It isnt the games fault this person was completly un-stable & had deep serious promblems videogames are not at fault the person is at fault.

The same deal with the Colorado Mass Shooting earlier this year was the same case of a man with deep personal demons & emotional promblems.

But my thoughs & prayers are with the familes who lost there children in this horrific disaster.

But Mass Effect istnt the cause of this I play ME all the time and I havent gone nuts and it hasnt made me nuts, I have played the most violent of games from GTA, RE or Mortal Kombat.

These people who do these horrific crimes have clealy lost all grips on reality, They shouldnt go to jail, they shouldnt be clarified as mentally-unstable, they should go straight to Death and eye for an eye.

This pup was indeed a sick pup he shot & killed his own mother who worked at this school as well as 18 children and The Princible of this school.

He took the cowards way out and killed himself. 2 Sick idiots my worries they will be copycats such as they tried to copycat the Colorado Shootings.

People are indeed sick, evil & twisted these are dark times, things are only going to get worse over time this is only the beginning.

But Videogames are not the cause of the Violence it is the people that are cause they have lost all grips on Reality.

But my thoughts & prayers are with the Families going throgh these dark times.
#8LilyxLightningPosted 12/14/2012 1:14:23 PM
From what I've heard, the Facebook account that is being connected to the shooter might actually be a completely different person.
---
"No, John. You are the Reapers"
And then John was the Catalyst.
#9Urdnot_RuntPosted 12/14/2012 1:22:17 PM(edited)
After the Columbine shootings happened, I was watching the news with my mom and they said "The shooters were big fans of the mass murder video game, 'Doom'..." and then it showed the game while the player was shooting zombies with the shotty but it was portrayed as if it were actually a mass murder video game based on murdering people and not saving humanity from f****ing Satan.

Of course, Doom being my favorite game at the time, my mom instantly took the game away from me and didn't listen to me when I said it wasn't really a "Mass murder video game". If it's on the news it must be true.
#10NS_RegentParkPosted 12/14/2012 1:16:48 PM
perfect_general posted...
To be fair no one has brought it up yet, but I suspect they will, particularly Fox News since they seem to be obsessed with Mass Effect being the root of all of civilization's ills.

"Gay marines!? *****ing aliens!? SHOOTING FORMER HUMANS?! **** that **** bro, we ain't want that."
---
GT:InTheZoneTO
I'm pretty sure the Crucible was supposed to harness the dark energy of Haestrom to destroy the Reapers