School shooting and Mass Effect

#111WatermelonFartsPosted 12/14/2012 9:26:44 PM
Nafzger posted...
I think the fact of the matter is if less people cared, less bad things would happen. The problem is people care too much. That kid obviously cared enough and was upset enough about something to murder children before killing himself, where as if he gave less of a damn about whatever, he may have just played some ME3 and ate some Sugar Crisps, like me.

Slightly on topic - I wonder if I ever played any online matches with him.

the guy's brother likes me3 not him
---
Absolute Monarch of The Lands of Hazardonia, Dictator of mutcnas
#112MalzelPosted 12/14/2012 9:27:12 PM
Nafzger posted...
I've had a lot of tragic things happen in my life, too. Everyone has. The fact of the matter is simply this: you did not know or care about any of these children. You did not care about them yesterday and you will not care about them once this whole thing blows over. All you know and all society tells you is that when something like this happens you should feel bad. It's fake empathy. Had you known any of these kids, I could see you being offended by an otherwise harmless question. But you didn't know any of them.

Everyone deals with tragic events different way. I typically rely on humour, as I find it better than moping around and getting offended by every little thing I misinterpret as offensive.

But you're not funny.
---
It is only human to commit a sin...
#113WatermelonFartsPosted 12/14/2012 9:27:59 PM
Ryan-06 posted...
I'm not even Christian. And you don't know that. That was, in fact offensive. Just defending yourself like you did complaining to mods and posting it: http://i.imgur.com/IYaWv.png

But stay classy.

No, nobody was offended. You reported it.

Go in to detail and tell me how you were offended. I want to know why you believe you can silence my opinion.
---
#114Talon5967Posted 12/14/2012 9:37:50 PM(edited)
Compilation of what I've read so far:

Adam Lanza (the shooter) lived with his mother, and had a history of mental illness (as per his brother). His mother was a teacher at the school he attacked, and legally owned at least four guns. He shot his mother, then drove his mother's car to the school and shot 20 kids and 6 adults. He then killed himself. Reportedly, most shots were from two 9mm's; a Glock and Sig Sauer. He had an AR-15, but it is still undetermined if he even used it. He was carrying his brother's I.D., which led to confusion over his identity.

One interesting thing: the OP says that this guy listed ME as something he liked on Facebook. But in a report I just watched, they made a comment that he didn't have a Facebook page, as part of the commentary on how this guy kept himself effectively cut off socially. I can't check for myself, since I don't have a Facebook account (never found a use for one).

Aside from banning private gun ownership outright (and if the government ever even hints at that, I'll immediately run out and put together my own armory; also, the Second American Civil War will likely be only weeks away in that case, because gun bans won't be the only thing rolling out), the only law that could have helped here would be banning guns anywhere someone with a history of mental illness lives. This would effectively make it illegal for anyone living with that person to own a gun.

If the guns were properly secured, he wouldn't have been able to use them, but only if it was a combination lock. With a key lock, he could have just taken the key from his mother after killing her some other way. However, heavily secured guns defeats the purpose many people buy a gun for, which is defending themselves, their families, and their homes, from intruders. Because they don't want to wait the possible several minutes it takes for police to arrive, during which time the intruder has free reign to do whatever they want. This then prevents them from using the most stringent security measures (i.e., a gun safe). As always, there are people that don't use any security measures simply because they don't want to. Unless you make it a law, and then have police go into people's homes to make sure they're doing it (which people would go nuts if suggested), this will never be corrected.

The best you could do is make gun safety classes a prerequisite for gun ownership. Which I believe should be a law. Accidental shootings occur because people don't respect the weapon. Respecting it enough to secure it properly could help prevent them from being taken illegally. I got this idea from the fact that military and police go through strict weapon safety and familiarity courses. I can't speak for other, but those courses are reflected anytime I hold any gun, even if it's fake. One safety rule is "keep your finger straight along the trigger until ready to fire." When I'm holding a plastic mock-up of a gun, I've noticed that I unconsciously keep my finger off the trigger until we start the training scenario. Also, I once yelled at my mother for putting her finger on the trigger of a gun a friend was showing her (even though she kept it pointed at the floor, which at least followed the rule "Never point the weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot"), even though I had just been holding it, and knew for a fact it was unloaded. That was because of another rule, "treat all weapons as if they are loaded."

Gun safety classes wouldn't solve every problem (contrary to the belief of a lot of people in this world, most problems can't be solved with only a single solution), but it would solve some. I also believe in registration, background checks, and waiting periods, because I believe that there are people that, through their actions, have given up some of their rights.
#115NafzgerPosted 12/14/2012 9:31:51 PM
Malzel posted...
Nafzger posted...
I've had a lot of tragic things happen in my life, too. Everyone has. The fact of the matter is simply this: you did not know or care about any of these children. You did not care about them yesterday and you will not care about them once this whole thing blows over. All you know and all society tells you is that when something like this happens you should feel bad. It's fake empathy. Had you known any of these kids, I could see you being offended by an otherwise harmless question. But you didn't know any of them.

Everyone deals with tragic events different way. I typically rely on humour, as I find it better than moping around and getting offended by every little thing I misinterpret as offensive.

But you're not funny.

I'm exceptionally funny, but that has nothing to do with the point I was making.
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
http://www.last.fm/user/Rainbow_Smasher
#116Talon5967Posted 12/14/2012 9:32:15 PM
Sorry for the (likely) double post, but I had one last thing to add, and that last post had only 4 characters left before I hit the limit.

The fourth rule of gun safety:
Keep the safety on until ready to fire."

Should be obvious, but it wouldn't be a rule unless somebody screwed it up.
---
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that know binary, and those that don't.
Gamertag: Talon Omega
#117some09guy IIPosted 12/14/2012 9:38:44 PM
Cute, how people try to distance themselves from the thought of the atrocities, questioning why people care. Yes, atrocities happen every day. No, we don't care about them unless we know about them. But that's the thing: we don't know about them.

This isn't some societal thing. People have it hardwired into themselves to protect their young, and to feel emotion when they hear of young dying. Even some of the worst, most hardened psychos find messing with a child to be deplorable. It's also the concept of innocence, and the need to protect it.

Those trying to point this out and stir things up are really doing nothing more than showing their age group, late teens and maybe early 20's at best. Your way of being intellectual, trying to stand out, even if you don't realize it, when in actuality you're being kinda stupid in the strangest sort of 'fight da powah!' way.
#118Ryan-06Posted 12/14/2012 9:42:37 PM(edited)
^^ Interesting way of putting it.

WatermelonFarts posted...
Ryan-06 posted...
I'm not even Christian. And you don't know that. That was, in fact offensive. Just defending yourself like you did complaining to mods and posting it:
http://i.imgur.com/IYaWv.png

But stay classy.

Go in to detail and tell me how you were offended. I want to know why you believe you can silence my opinion.

Actually, honestly. I did not. I'm guessing several other users (whether just browsing, or posting) did, before I even decided to- it was deleted by then. So therefore, Yes some people were offended. Learn to accept it already. You've gone in circles.
And yes you have a stick in your butt due to mods making you angry, we know. and someone said already "You sound like a kid with problems with authority. Really."
goodbye.
---
0=Rei. Pronounced Rei-six
http://i49.tinypic.com/69gf9z.jpg
#119WatermelonFartsPosted 12/14/2012 9:40:16 PM
Ryan-06 posted...
WatermelonFarts posted...
Ryan-06 posted...
I'm not even Christian. And you don't know that. That was, in fact offensive. Just defending yourself like you did complaining to mods and posting it:
http://i.imgur.com/IYaWv.png

But stay classy.

Actually, honestly. I did not. I'm guessing several other users (whether just browsing, or posting) did, before I even decided to- it was deleted by then. So therefore, Yes some people were offended. Learn to accept it already. You've gone in circles. goodbye.

You're pretty bad at lying. You're also avoiding my question too.
---
#120WatermelonFartsPosted 12/14/2012 9:43:04 PM
some09guy II posted...
Cute, how people try to distance themselves from the thought of the atrocities, questioning why people care. Yes, atrocities happen every day. No, we don't care about them unless we know about them. But that's the thing: we don't know about them.

This isn't some societal thing. People have it hardwired into themselves to protect their young, and to feel emotion when they hear of young dying. Even some of the worst, most hardened psychos find messing with a child to be deplorable. It's also the concept of innocence, and the need to protect it.

Those trying to point this out and stir things up are really doing nothing more than showing their age group, late teens and maybe early 20's at best. Your way of being intellectual, trying to stand out, even if you don't realize it, when in actuality you're being kinda stupid in the strangest sort of 'fight da powah!' way.

I'm not trying to be intellectual or have some edgy ulterior motive.
---