School shooting and Mass Effect

#161Mr_PipboyPosted 12/17/2012 9:33:00 AM
UtterMoon posted...
The facebook profile of the guy that had Mass Effect as a like....wasn't even the killer....

/topic

Not only that, the ACTUAL shooter tried to get his own guns and was denied.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/adam-lanza-attempted-failed-to-purchase-his-own-gun-sources-say_2012-12-16.html

/topic within the topic.
---
In case you can't tell, I was being sarcastic.
www.Omega-level.net | Salarian Sniper King of Rio 4-0 (4-1 overall)
#162some09guy IIPosted 12/17/2012 10:53:59 AM
vegeto18 posted...
I'm kind of with watermelon here. Lack of emotion or empathy doesn't mean lack of humanity.

It literally does. By definition.

Some of us are more desensitized or numbed than others. That isn't a bad thing.

It sort of is. There's a reason most people contain the instinct of protect the children, feel bad when they're hurt. Natural selection decided most families without such an instinct in any form, die off. Emotion didn't come to us out of some freak natural occurrence with no value.

To understand that the shooting is a tragic thing is one thing but to invoke emotions when it isn't there is another. I was more or less desensitized to 9/11 when it happened. A tragic moment yes but it didn't invoke good or bad feelings. Sometimes bad things happens because there are bad people in this world. I'm desensitized because death happens anywhere and everywhere.

Which would probably qualify you for a personality disorder. Whether or not that's a good thing you can debate all you want.
#163XXXFLUFFPosted 12/17/2012 11:38:40 AM
Don't want to read all of the posts, too depressing.

Rather than blaming video games, maybe we should blame the gun?

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people" yes, but the gun helps! Running up to someone and shouting BANG doesn't have that much of an effect.

When will America learn this simple truth?

Licensed guns still kill people when the trigger is pulled, so WTF America?

I understand that the Montanna farmer needs a gun for self defense against f****** large animals, but why pistols are required in leafy suburbs around cities I will never know.

When an emotionally challenged person can walk to their arsenal and select their weapon of choice for mass slaughter and only the last part is illegal, we have a problem. If guns were banned this person would have found it very difficult to kill 18 people. He might have got one or two with a knie before people overpowered him, but surely this is preferable to being able to gun down and entire class?
---
If you try to fail and succeed, what happened?
If a turtle has no shell is it naked or homeless?
#164some09guy IIPosted 12/17/2012 11:54:34 AM
XXXFLUFF posted...
Don't want to read all of the posts, too depressing.

Rather than blaming video games, maybe we should blame the gun?

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people" yes, but the gun helps! Running up to someone and shouting BANG doesn't have that much of an effect.

When will America learn this simple truth?

Licensed guns still kill people when the trigger is pulled, so WTF America?

I understand that the Montanna farmer needs a gun for self defense against f****** large animals, but why pistols are required in leafy suburbs around cities I will never know.

When an emotionally challenged person can walk to their arsenal and select their weapon of choice for mass slaughter and only the last part is illegal, we have a problem. If guns were banned this person would have found it very difficult to kill 18 people. He might have got one or two with a knie before people overpowered him, but surely this is preferable to being able to gun down and entire class?

In the worst school massacre in US history, by far, the only shot fired was the one the killer used to blow himself up. Places in the US which allow for concealed weapon permits also tend to have significantly lower murder rates than those with other generic gun control bans.

Frankly, nothing which happened in this massacre is something someone could have just as easily, if not more easily, accomplished with a can of gas and a lighter, much less any other explosive device which can be made very easily.

Also, the person in question did not obtain the weapons legally. He tried to go to a gun store days before the shooting and walked away after finding out he'd have to submit to a background check and wait awhile.
#165WatermelonFartsPosted 12/17/2012 2:45:56 PM
some09guy II posted...
vegeto18 posted...
I'm kind of with watermelon here. Lack of emotion or empathy doesn't mean lack of humanity.

It literally does. By definition.

Some of us are more desensitized or numbed than others. That isn't a bad thing.

It sort of is. There's a reason most people contain the instinct of protect the children, feel bad when they're hurt. Natural selection decided most families without such an instinct in any form, die off. Emotion didn't come to us out of some freak natural occurrence with no value.

To understand that the shooting is a tragic thing is one thing but to invoke emotions when it isn't there is another. I was more or less desensitized to 9/11 when it happened. A tragic moment yes but it didn't invoke good or bad feelings. Sometimes bad things happens because there are bad people in this world. I'm desensitized because death happens anywhere and everywhere.

Which would probably qualify you for a personality disorder. Whether or not that's a good thing you can debate all you want.

No.
---
Absolute Monarch of The Lands of Hazardonia, Dictator of mutcnas
#166Ryan-06Posted 12/17/2012 3:56:20 PM
darkace77450 posted...
Omega_Zero_XP posted...
I feel bad that psychos do crap like this. And why is it that once something bad happens, the weirdos get extremely vocal? Man, society really has gone downhill.

Society has always been a barrel of ****, but it wasn't until the recent advent of the internet and particularly social media that we could so easily underscore that fact.

Shame some had to continue bumping this without reading the last few pages (I have mine set to 50 per page tho). But Someguy has the right idea. Stick to your convictions man. I respect you for that. Back when I was posting alot here, another reg user sent me a PM to clarify things. Felt better after. Gave me hope that people are still human, even on these boards with internet tough guys saying the same things each time tragedies happen. Maybe some antisocial, don't get along with family, wanna rebel against 'teh government/world, hate ppl in general, etc. Who knows. Tells me enough about them. Also shame this behavior had to happen anyway and at this time of year.

But I hope this PM means something to others as well:
"I understand your viewpoints and wasn't trying to argue with you, just give a lens to explain why Pip may have said what he said....

... It's a messed up world at times and can be hard to stomach. But when people stop caring, those things that go bump in the night go unchecked and people learn to care when they are forced to face problems that they've only heard in the news, but never thought they'd encounter. So this is my way of saying, keep caring and keep "bumping" back when events like this happens; it's what sets people apart from the men and the few good men. You got your heart in the right place and I respect that. Take care and I wish you happy holidays. See you around, brother.
" -author withheld.
---
0=Rei. Pronounced Rei-six
http://i49.tinypic.com/69gf9z.jpg
#167Lexar_Posted 12/17/2012 4:11:06 PM
some09guy II posted...

Not to get into a psychological discussion, but humans process impersonal tragedy and personal tragedy *very* differently. This is why "Save the Africans" commercials and charities don't give you statistics, which are impersonal, they give you insight on the lives of a few select people, because you connect to them personally and are thus tempted to donate more.

If you want more details this video is very informative: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUsGDVOCLVQ

Watermelon might be cold, but that's not a sign of a personality disorder or psychopathic behavior. If he acted the same way if his loved ones were horrifically shot though, that would be another story.
---
Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all. -Friedrich Nietzsche
#168some09guy IIPosted 12/17/2012 5:10:09 PM
Lexar_ posted...
Watermelon might be cold, but that's not a sign of a personality disorder or psychopathic behavior. If he acted the same way if his loved ones were horrifically shot though, that would be another story.

I never said it was a sign of psychopathic behavior. With Watermelon I already said it was an obvious sign of immaturity, which he has pretty well proven throughout this topic aside from his point. But to hear the details of a massacre, especially a recent one, of fellow humans, especially children, and to feel absolutely nothing, not because you're acting out but because you're desensitized or simply don't feel for such things very much is a sign of a disorder of one sort or another. That is simply the way it is. Maybe you're born that way, maybe you've been traumatized (see: desensitized) but it doesn't change what it is.

That said, I very much doubt many here suffer from any such disorder. I would guess most, probably not actively thinking as such, simply wanted to stick out from the grain a bit, seem intelligent compared to the masses who fawn over the victims. Then, when called out on it, their rage at the fact that they could be wrong or that they could be so easily picked apart, was more than any sympathy they would drag up for people they don't know. That's pretty basic human reaction there.
#169AnonyMouseXPosted 12/17/2012 5:21:11 PM
Any normally-functioning human being would not say, in all honesty, that they "don't care" when twenty children, ages 6-7, are gunned down in an elementary school. WatermelonFarts is either lying, suppressing his emotions, or is genuinely displaying one aspect of psychopathy. (Yes, apathy is one of them, but only one.)

At best, he simply can't see the repercussions of what he just said. He can't see that 20 dead kids means 20 families with an empty seat at Christmas dinner this year. It means twenty weeping mothers or fathers. It means 20 sisters without brothers or brothers without sisters. It means 20 more families will spend their holiday season under the dark, dark shadow of death, during what is already the time of year when depression is at its highest. It means 20 tiny coffins going into the earth, never to rise again. If he's too shortsighted to see any of that, I suppose I can't blame him for not feeling anything.

At worst, watermelon's comments mean he actually is a psychopath who does not value human life in the slightest. It means he sips his morning coffee with pure, unruffled ennui as he reads the obituary section with the same blissful apathy he enjoys while reading sports or comics. It means he really has gone off the deep end, his cheese has slip off its cracker, and he is thoroughly prepared to stalk the earth, bringing pain and misery to all who perturb him in the slightest, stepping over the bodies, and continuing on his way because "he don't care."

Well, frankly, I doubt he's either of those things. I and most regular posters on here have come to realize the kind of poster "WatermelonFarts," aka "Doctor Turk," aka the "Kanye West of the GameFAQs ME3 Boards" is. He says things to stir up **** and then sits back and watches the fireworks. This is his "ima let you finish but ____" moment. This is his "light fuse and run for the hills" moment, with binoculars firmly in hand to watch the carnage he leaves in his wake.

He is the match.
You are the powderkeg, GameFAQs.

I'm not losing sleep over anything he types because, frankly, I DON'T CARE.

And neither should you.
#170WatermelonFartsPosted 12/17/2012 5:26:00 PM
I love how everyone is trying to play the role of a psuedo-intellectual and peer deep into my soul to point out how I'm a deranged, psychopathic menace to society.

I will clarify: I do feel bad for the families. I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone.

But I still don't care.
---
Absolute Monarch of The Lands of Hazardonia, Dictator of mutcnas