School shooting and Mass Effect

#41MurphysGhostPosted 12/14/2012 4:53:27 PM(edited)
On the other hand, the murder rate per capita in the US is something like 8 times the next nearest socially/economically similar country. (I've read the stats semi-recently, don't recall exactly.)

I don't think the guns are the whole reason, but if you don't admit they're part of the equation I think you're a bit delusional.

Anyway, I'm gonna drop the gun issue but feel free to continue, IMO it's a worthwhile debate so long as people are gonna be civil about it.

Just gonna say a prayer for those poor kids and teachers. What happened to them shouldn't ever happen, and the man that did this was an incredible coward. I'm agnostic but I hope there's a Hell today just so he could be burning in it.
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#42Shadowstar108Posted 12/14/2012 4:51:24 PM
MurphysGhost posted...
Shadowstar108 posted...
This isn't a gun control issue; it's a social issue. Someone, somewhere had to notice that something wasn't right with this man. Society should be more caring to people who need help, even if they may refuse it. I'd rather talk to someone about their problems on a couch than through a glass window and a phone.

I really think it's both.

People need to pay more attention to warning signs and offer help, but there are times when there's little to no concrete warning for an event like this.

I'm not under any illusion that guns in America are going to simply go away (nor do I think they should be outright abolished- I absolutely support responsible hunting, for example), but stricter controls on handguns and high-powered assault weapons is something that I think deserves a good, hard look.

Damn, you completely summed up my feelings on this matter and society. I like you.
---
~Currently Playing: Persona 4, Devil Survivor 2, and Magic: The Gathering~
#43TheBraveOnePosted 12/14/2012 4:51:42 PM
WatermelonFarts posted...
I don't see why I'm supposed to care 20 something kids got shot. I don't care about kids starving to death in Africa, or female babies in China being neglected because they're female.

I also don't see why people get upset when I don't care.

Because.... JUST BECAUSE!!!
---
XBL Gamertag- Siepher1
PSN- DivineSlasher
#44Mr_PipboyPosted 12/14/2012 4:51:57 PM
MurphysGhost posted...
Shadowstar108 posted...
This isn't a gun control issue; it's a social issue. Someone, somewhere had to notice that something wasn't right with this man. Society should be more caring to people who need help, even if they may refuse it. I'd rather talk to someone about their problems on a couch than through a glass window and a phone.

I really think it's both.

People need to pay more attention to warning signs and offer help, but there are times when there's little to no concrete warning for an event like this.

I'm not under any illusion that guns in America are going to simply go away (nor do I think they should be outright abolished- I absolutely support responsible hunting, for example), but stricter controls on handguns and high-powered assault weapons is something that I think deserves a good, hard look.

Its not a matter of the strictness of the controls or regulations. Point is LEGAL guns are not the problem. So making even stricter laws on gun ownership hurts you as a citizen trying to defend yourself and your family. Criminals do not care about owning guns lawfully. Enforcing the gun laws that are on the books should be the priority. There are already laws on the books concerning gun ownership.

But Pip, I can buy a gun at a gun show in Alabama and then bring it to New York or Chicago where gun laws are strict!

Yes you can, but that is no longer a LEGAL gun, it is an ILLEGAL gun and you are a criminal. There are laws on the books that prevent you from doing that.

So then how do all these criminals get illegal guns into cities that have tighter gun control?

Well, I think you answered your own question by calling them criminals. I am in favor of waiting periods and background checks, but once again, criminals are not.
---
In case you can't tell, I was being sarcastic.
www.Omega-level.net | Salarian Sniper King of Rio 4-0 (4-1 overall)
#45TheFeshPincePosted 12/14/2012 4:53:37 PM
Unless this guy thought the kids were Geth, the connection would make no sense.
---
You see... It's like I can have a leg in one hand and a BRERB in the other.
#46WatermelonFartsPosted 12/14/2012 4:55:12 PM
i'm also pretty sure a criminal won't care about gun laws

they'll either get the gun away, or just stab the person instead
---
Absolute Monarch of The Lands of Hazardonia, Dictator of mutcnas
#47RKOMe2011Posted 12/14/2012 4:56:01 PM
For your info I am 100% all American and I was born an American. I am just saying these are dark times we are seeing these tragic events fold out & play more often there have been several bad cases like this but the Colorado & this are now the worst we have in American History.

Rather they were re-inacting these were some sick sick evil & twisted people these were little kids at the beginning of there life they will never get to see another christmas the parents is who I am worried about now they will have a christmas without there child.

My thoughts and prayers are going for there parents losing there children at such as young age. To die that young & for no reason there is no reason for that these kids were just innocent children at the beginning stages of there lives.

This sick pup took the cowards way out, I wish we could have put this jack-ass through the ringer, made him suffer but no are legal system is insane they would just say he was mentally-unstable so I dont know what to think about this situation.

This was indeed a dark day in American History & my thoughts go to the parents who lost there young today.

There was no rhyme reason or cause for this & I demand to know why this moron sick twisted pup did what he did and why he did what he did.

Videogames are not the cause some people are just evil.
#48MurphysGhostPosted 12/14/2012 4:57:40 PM(edited)
Mr_Pipboy posted...
Point is LEGAL guns are not the problem.

Damn it, said I was gonna drop it, but, just one thing - in the incident today, legal guns were indeed the problem, is the indication from the news. Registered to the killer's mother, whom he killed with them.

Career criminals and gang members are easy enough to identify. Apparently 'normal' people who do crazy stuff at a later date, much less so. Something to consider?
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#49Mr_PipboyPosted 12/14/2012 4:58:56 PM(edited)
i'm also pretty sure a criminal won't care about gun laws

they'll either get the gun away, or just stab the person instead

Well, don't forget about how Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman were shot and killed .... oh wait

Well, then there was the shooting spree that Timothy McVeigh went on in Oklahoma city, that was a doosie ... ohh... hmm, never mind. I guess you don't need a gun to kill people.
---
In case you can't tell, I was being sarcastic.
www.Omega-level.net | Salarian Sniper King of Rio 4-0 (4-1 overall)
#50EliteGuard99Posted 12/14/2012 5:00:54 PM
I don't see why I'm supposed to care 20 something kids got shot. I don't care about kids starving to death in Africa, or female babies in China being neglected because they're female.

I also don't see why people get upset when I don't care.

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2010/8/22/ca0532af-1920-4580-a4c6-c107f24b1046.jpg
---
"I like my weapons how I like my music, HEAVY and METAL! - Mordekaiser