The GI sucks. You're all wrong.

#1RophlecktuinePosted 12/27/2012 5:39:58 PM(edited)
Well, not really, I was just trolling you guys into opening this topic, did it work?

Back when the GI was released, I was a huge fan of the character, but I feel like a lot has changed since then, and I'd like to present some reasons why the GI is being outgunned by other playable classes, and doesnt deserve to be protected by favoritism:

Here are the contenders:

Destroyer:
With rate of fire bonuses, damage buffs, better shields, and grenades, I think that the destroyer could take on the GI in a straight up throw down. The destroyer can outgun the GI with the PR, typhoon, reegar, and piranha, plus he has better juggling options. On gold I'm sure the GI could outperform the destroyer by using his melee build, but not so on platinum.

Turian Infiltrator:
The new Turian Infiltrator gets a damage bonus from stim packs, and a special bonus to assault rifles, which we know are probably going to be more effective than the sniper class, for now. He gets one of the fastest dodges, and an excellent juggling power that can strip shields. He also has excellent survivability.

Geth Trooper:
With Damage reduction, better shields, and hunter vision, the geth trooper trades the weapon damage and invisibility buff from cloaking. However, he receives a damage buff to powers, and you can stack that with hunter mode, to boost flamer; one of the best anti armor powers in the game. It hurts groups, makes some enemies panic, gets good range and does great damage with a very fast recharge, letting you carry a heavier weapon, if you wish to. Trooper vs Inflitrator? I consistently do better with the trooper.

Obviously there are some other characters that can outperform the GI, but these were picked for having similar traits or buffs. Some major changes to the way tech combos are performed definitely boosted some previously ignored castors into being waaay more competent vs the GI, who relies on weapon damage output.
#2MalzelPosted 12/27/2012 5:34:01 PM
The Destroyer has damage reduction?
---
It is only human to commit a sin...
#3bessy67Posted 12/27/2012 5:38:46 PM
If we're talking about straight up weapon damage then the TGI is really the only character that challenges the geth infiltrator. Destroyer with ppr is a great character, but he's slow, can't dodge, and doesn't have as good of damage buffs or the debuff ability of proxy mine.
---
"Immigrants. Thats all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#4Rophlecktuine(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2012 5:39:29 PM
Malzel posted...
The Destroyer has damage reduction?

nope, sorry, Im mixing that up with a different power. he has options for recharge delay and max shields. I'll edit
#5fennell92Posted 12/27/2012 5:39:54 PM
Meh. TGI and the destroyer can't see through walls. And the geth trooper and destroyer can't go invisible.

He may not be as dominating as he was before but the GI is still among the best, and will always be one of my go-to classes if I feel like I really want to extract a game from gold (along with a few others including the TGI, destroyer, and geth trooper).
#6Rophlecktuine(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2012 5:44:22 PM
fennell92 posted...
Meh. TGI and the destroyer can't see through walls. And the geth trooper and destroyer can't go invisible.

He may not be as dominating as he was before but the GI is still among the best, and will always be one of my go-to classes if I feel like I really want to extract a game from gold (along with a few others including the TGI, destroyer, and geth trooper).

fennel thats a good point but with tactical scan and recon mine, the need to see through walls gets smaller and smaller.

Also, cloak was nerfed, and fortification gives the geth trooper a 30% damage buff as well, the trooper also has 1000 base shields, and damage reduction coupled with hunter mode is a fair trade.
#7herduliekmudkipPosted 12/27/2012 5:49:24 PM
volus sentinel

an actually interesting class that is infinitely more fun to play than the gi
---
http://i.imgur.com/fsSme.png
Meet herduliekmudkip hater of all things powerful and easy to use. ~ donkeyofdestiny
#8Capcom AllstarPosted 12/27/2012 5:57:35 PM
they all have their strengths but I wouldn't say any of them except maybe the Ghost is better

the Destroyer is far too slow to compete with the GI so not even gonna bother

the Trooper's flamer, while a great power, isn't gonna kill nearly as fast as cloak+proxymine+your weapon of choice. Fortification gives him some power damage and damage reduction but flamer doesn't need that much power to be effective and its shields are too low to get any real mileage out of its damage reduction (if you play the Trooper w/o hunter mode you may as well just play a vorcha)

the Ghost has everything going for him besides seeing through walls. I don't think his damage boost from stims stack with cloak damage though.
---
http://img.imgcake.com/CapcomAllstar/IMG0437PNGej.png
#9OEIO999Posted 12/27/2012 6:02:32 PM
herduliekmudkip posted...
volus sentinel

an actually interesting class that is infinitely more fun to play than the gi

Watching your Decoy be passed by nearly every enemy, or seeing the combat drone getting flattened or doing absolutely nothing productive is not fun
#10Rophlecktuine(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2012 6:18:52 PM
Capcom Allstar posted...
they all have their strengths but I wouldn't say any of them except maybe the Ghost is better

the Destroyer is far too slow to compete with the GI so not even gonna bother

the Trooper's flamer, while a great power, isn't gonna kill nearly as fast as cloak+proxymine+your weapon of choice. Fortification gives him some power damage and damage reduction but flamer doesn't need that much power to be effective and its shields are too low to get any real mileage out of its damage reduction (if you play the Trooper w/o hunter mode you may as well just play a vorcha)

the Ghost has everything going for him besides seeing through walls. I don't think his damage boost from stims stack with cloak damage though.

On platinum the sustained high damage output from the Destroyer from a weapon that benefits from rate of fire can outweigh the damage of a GI who cant one-clip kill most enemies on platinum. Speed isnt as important on platinum, damage output and juggling is. Having the grenades that can be used instantly end up being more helpful vs a pack of some of the new enemies like the dragoon rather than the proxy mine.

I completely disagree about the flamer. In a 1 vs 1 I agree that the flamer isnt going to be faster, but on platinum you are often being overrun by enemies that require a lot of time to kill (compared to lower difficulties.). This benefits flamer by A LOT because you get to use the power on whole groups, doing more damage faster by multiplying that damage per enemy effected.

I just disagree with what how you ignored the power damage buffs to flamer, and damage reduction couple with shield booster and a cyclonic mod makes a serious difference vs a GI who is essentially a "glass" cannon.

Even if stims dont stack with Cloak, being able to instantly return shields allows you to keep putting out damage instead of dodging away or possible downing.