Question about a no unique powers + Insanity run (ME3 SP)

#1Distant_RainbowPosted 12/29/2012 9:35:39 AM
Which of the following would be most difficult with this restriction in Insanity? - Results (37 votes)
Soldier (No Adrenaline Rush, Concussive Shot, or Frag Grenades)
8.11% (3 votes)
Adept (No Singularity or Cluster Grenades)
0% (0 votes)
Engineer (No Combat Drones or Sentry Turrets)
2.7% (1 votes)
Infiltrator (No Tactical Cloak or Sticky Grenades)
13.51% (5 votes)
Vanguard (No Biotic Charge or Nova)
51.35% (19 votes)
Sentinel (No Tech Armor or Lift Grenades)
5.41% (2 votes)
Meh, doesn't change much, you can get around without that stuff with any class, even on Insanity
16.22% (6 votes)
Meh, they're all equally crippled. Insanity will be pure hell with this restriction
2.7% (1 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Everything else allowed.

Which class loses the most with this restriction, IYO?
---
GFAQs F-Zero GX Fantasy Grand Prix Season I Champion - TN, MT, CB
Link meets Fire Emblem in Tales of Elibe! Find out what happens!
#2sir_fredingtonPosted 12/29/2012 9:38:34 AM
No singularity or cluster grenades on the adept is nothing. They can still wreck insanity with pull, throw, and warp.
#3windfoxxPosted 12/29/2012 11:18:22 AM
Ditto to the guy above. The cluster grenades are moderately annoying not to have at worst, and singularity is completely unnecessary. Evolved pull can also lift multiple unshielded mooks, and comes out a heck of a lot faster. Warp + throw will do for everything else, even if enemies do dodge warp a bit more.

Infiltrator w/o TC could be kinda tough if you were still trying to rely on heavy snipers due to the absurdly long cooldowns that would result. And ammo used to be a problem in big engagements in ME2 for infiltrators. Dunno if that holds true in this one though.

Soldier w/o those three powers would be a bit more of a slog. Enemies can down shields with some speed on insanity if you just sit out of cover taking it, but he's got a bit more health anyway. I suspect it would be the toughest out of the classes I've mentioned, esp if you were to put a weapon restriction on as well, but would still be very doable.

I'm not too familiar with the other classes, but I tend to think all would be able to manage ok. Insanity isn't incredibly hard to be honest, and all the classes have options to manage through the handicap.
#4LilyxLightningPosted 12/29/2012 11:37:18 AM
It's really a matter of comparing what powers are left over once you take away unique powers.

The Soldier gets left with the three ammo powers. But because ammo powers don't have cooldowns in ME3, that means that the Soldier can focus on carrying the biggest guns they obtain without any concern for cooldowns. Being the weapon-focused class, they don't lose out on much.

The Adept has Throw, Pull, Warp, and Shockwave. Being as their main means of offense is biotic explosions, they're barely hindered; Pull and Warp suffice for setting up combos, while they have many powers that can detonate.

The Engineer keeps Overload, Incinerate, Cryo Blast, and Sabotage. They don't lose an iota of their ability to eviscerate enemy protections and set off a variety of power combos.

The Infiltrator is left with Disruptor Ammo, Cryo Ammo, Incinerate, and Sabotage. Their powers are still versatile and spread between extra damage to enemy protections and disabling enemies, and they're still capable of power combos.

The Sentinel has Overload, Cryo Blast, Warp, and Throw. Just like the Adept and Engineer, their ability to wipe out enemy protection and use power combos isn't hindered at all.

That leaves us with the Vanguard, with Incendiary Ammo, Cryo Ammo, Pull, and Shockwave. Both of their ammo powers can only set off a power combo if the enemy is killed by the detonating power, and the only detonating power the Vanguard is left with is Shockwave, which is less damaged-focused and more unwieldy to use than other detonator powers. They can't easily do biotic explosions either, since Pull only works on unprotected enemies.
---
"No, John. You are the Reapers"
And then John was the Catalyst.
#5code_kirinPosted 12/29/2012 1:13:12 PM
I don't see why you'd put those restrictions on yourself when you have other powers that can pick up the slack or do better entirely. I figured this would be a weapon passive and fitness only thing.