Bioware at it once again! Complaining about customers is a full time job

#51Will446(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 3:34:00 PM
LilyxLightning posted...
Well said, David Gaider! I honestly think BioWare should really clamp down on the trolls that have made it their mission to prevent anyone from having a civil discussion about how they like a BioWare game on the BioWare Social Network. While some might consider it censorship, to put it simply, why the heck are you on a BioWare fan site to scream and cry about how you don't like BioWare games? Why are you on a BioWare fan site if all you're going to do is bash BioWare and people who like BioWare?

All the anti-BioWare trolls on the BSN want is to keep BioWare fans away from a BioWare fan site in order to make it seem like their mindset is the only mindset.

bessy67 posted...
It's just an example. If you buy a product and said product doesn't live up to your expectations for it you are well within your rights to criticize that product and not out of line to ask the maker of that product to make changes. They don't have to listen to you, but it is in a company's best interest to keep its consumers happy.

It's storytelling. There is no story that will entertain every single person. No storyteller is obligated to tell a story that you approve of.

If you were to watch an episode of Dora the Explorer and not like one part of it, how would you think others would react if you started a campaign to slander the creators and demand that they ignore everyone who liked the episode in favour of you and you alone?

As far as the trolls that dominate the BSN are concerned, BioWare simply does not have the right to do anything that they disapprove of. And BioWare doing something that they disapprove of is an act of war in their minds.

They did this last year. Stanley Woo was forced to resign after EA's HR rep brought him in the office to help him realize he does no like his job (He said it on his own blog) and pissed off customers to the point to where many people stopped buying or using Bioware which caused mass firings as well as Bioware losing the Command and Conquer IP.
#52edgecrusher02Posted 1/10/2013 3:35:14 PM
Will446 posted...
edgecrusher02 posted...
i can see the same extremist attitude about this as i can about the ending. it is not nearly as simple as saying it is or isnt art or a product. because its both. if someone were to buy a coffee maker, does this mean that because they didnt like that it also didnt make juice that they should be able to complain to the maker and get it changed to also make juice? no, thats beyond absurd.

when it comes to a video game, can you start it? are you able to access everything it has to offer? can you finish it? if the answer to all these is yes, then as a product it is not broken. the story doesnt even come into play when it comes to this. fictional stories are art no matter the method in which they are told. video games are both art and product in one package. the art is not broken because it cant be, its subjective. the product works as i have completed it in its entirety 4 times.

i find it disturbing that people that seem to care so much for this amazing universe also dont consider one of their preferred mediums of stroy telling to be art in any way. whats the point in telling a story you want to tell if the viewers are just going to have it changed down the road? this line of thinking COMPLETELY hinders creativity and makes it almost pointless to even bother with it in the first place.

Its a mass produced product and it was marketed and promised years in advance that what happened with Mass Effect 3 would not happen.

Funny thing though someone on the forums three years ago predicted on how the Endings of Mass Effect would be.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/105/index/970146/1

It was spot on and the reaction that such an ending would occur was extremely negative.

Its also scary that this person predicted it.

yea that is kind of scary. part of it has to do with the ending leak too. they had to change things and im sure they were pressured with time by EA. either way, fiction is not created with a purpose like a product. you dont expect a certain thing from a fictional story because you have no idea whats going to happen. when you buy a product, you expect it to do the thing you bought it for. that is not possible with fiction. its just not that simple. it is not as simple as "broken product needs fixing."
---
religion is flawed because man is flawed
#53meltor13Posted 1/10/2013 3:36:17 PM
bessy67 posted...
Spartan0fCha0s8 posted...
Nafzger posted...
I don't see why it's a big deal to tell them they screwed up and ask for them to redo it. If I went to a restaurant and the food they brought out wasn't acceptable, I would ask for them to redo it as well.

This isn't food, moron. You didn't order it to your tastes. Its a video game. There is no comparison outside of them both being things you purchase on your own free will with money.

It's just an example. If you buy a product and said product doesn't live up to your expectations for it you are well within your rights to criticize that product and not out of line to ask the maker of that product to make changes. They don't have to listen to you, but it is in a company's best interest to keep its consumers happy.

They don't have to listen to you

Bingo.

They are under no requirements to change anything about their product. You bought it, hopefully knowing fully what you were receiving (if not, you made an uninformed purchase and that is on your shoulders, not the manufacturer's).
---
MarioKart 64 Main: Bowser
GT: MELTOR13
#54jessica73Posted 1/10/2013 3:38:56 PM(edited)
so basically, one must spoil all their games in advance of purchasing, or forever be unable to dissent V_V

man, I wish we had some of you on the Fable board to help dc when everyone was mad about it not being what it was hyped to be
---
http://raptr.com/badge/thebotqueen/ach.png
#55edgecrusher02Posted 1/10/2013 3:41:09 PM
jessica73 posted...
so basically, one must spoil all their games in advance of purchasing, or forever be unable to dissent V_V

in a way, yes lol. but not really. criticizing is obvioulsy ok and constructive criticism is great. but taking it to the belligerently douchey levels of filing claims with groups like the FTC and BBB as well as sending sarcastic pastries is most certainly not. as is demanding an outright change in the premise of a fictional story, something that there is no possible way to know anything about before choosing to experience it for yourself.
---
#56LilyxLightningPosted 1/10/2013 3:43:36 PM
Will446 posted...
They did this last year. Stanley Woo was forced to resign after EA's HR rep brought him in the office to help him realize he does no like his job (He said it on his own blog) and pissed off customers to the point to where many people stopped buying or using Bioware which caused mass firings as well as Bioware losing the Command and Conquer IP.

Which is why BioWare Victory is making the 2013 Commander and Conquer game.

It's so easy to find proof that anti-BioWare BS is BS. XD
---
Lightning. It flashes bright, then fades away. It can't protect. It only destroys.
#57bessy67Posted 1/10/2013 3:46:27 PM
edgecrusher02 posted...
jessica73 posted...

in a way, yes lol. but not really. criticizing is obvioulsy ok and constructive criticism is great. but taking it to the belligerently douchey levels of filing claims with groups like the FTC and BBB as well as sending sarcastic pastries is most certainly not. as is demanding an outright change in the premise of a fictional story, something that there is no possible way to know anything about before choosing to experience it for yourself.

The red, blue and green cupcakes were hilarious, and a cute and clever way to express discontent with the ending. The lawsuit thing was ridiculous though.
---
"Immigrants. Thats all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#58Will446(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 3:47:39 PM
meltor13 posted...
bessy67 posted...
Spartan0fCha0s8 posted...
Nafzger posted...
I don't see why it's a big deal to tell them they screwed up and ask for them to redo it. If I went to a restaurant and the food they brought out wasn't acceptable, I would ask for them to redo it as well.

This isn't food, moron. You didn't order it to your tastes. Its a video game. There is no comparison outside of them both being things you purchase on your own free will with money.

They don't have to listen to you

Bingo.

They are under no requirements to change anything about their product. You bought it, hopefully knowing fully what you were receiving (if not, you made an uninformed purchase and that is on your shoulders, not the manufacturer's).

They do not have to but any business out there knows without customers and a good reputation you are nothing. That's why many businesses take reviews on Yelp seriously. Bioware is hurting on both ends because of horrible, horrible moves on their own part. SWTOR went from Two Million Players to under 300,000 in less then a year.

jessica73 posted...

man, I wish we had some of you on the Fable board to help dc when everyone was mad about it not being what it was hyped to be

I was there. People at the right to be upset because they waited two weeks before launch to announce 80% of the features promised would be missing. I remember IGN doing a 'paid' review telling us not to worry. And Lionhead waited weeks after the game was released to edit it's own site because it was still advertising missing features.

Bioware advertised and marketed how Mass Effect's ending would not have an a, b, c ending.

Problem with us gamers is we do not have representation in Congress. Music something everyone is into if you all remember ten years back when Sony included the DRM rootkit pretty much the Government went right after them. We as gamers deal with a corrupt Gaming Press that gets items and money for good reviews. Which in the Radio world 'Pay to play' is illegal.
#59edgecrusher02Posted 1/10/2013 3:47:52 PM
bessy67 posted...
edgecrusher02 posted...
jessica73 posted...

The red, blue and green cupcakes were hilarious, and a cute and clever way to express discontent with the ending. The lawsuit thing was ridiculous though.

oh i didnt say it wasnt amusing, but it was also really messed up. then again, the messed up things are often pretty damn funny to those not on the receiving end.
---
#60meltor13Posted 1/10/2013 3:50:27 PM
jessica73 posted...

This is incorrect. A simple glance at the forums and/or user reviews would give you warnings. Spoilers not required. Then you could've waited until the game was on sale or whatever you would've liked to do. Expectations would've been curbed.

Meanwhile, most fans set expectations at an unreachable level for this game and then those were shattered upon receiving it. While I commend BioWare for what they did with the ME series, game development is too costly and will get too lengthy to attempt to do what they did. None of the ME games even sold that well, all things considered.
---
MarioKart 64 Main: Bowser
GT: MELTOR13