Is it possible to "master" gold difficulty?.

#11fennell92Posted 1/23/2013 5:16:58 PM
About 99.99% of my playing has been with randoms, and you can definitely master gold, but randoms can be a crapshoot sometimes. IMO there are really only some characters that you'll feel totally comfortable with on gold with randoms (most infiltrators, destroyer, kroguard etc), and you kind of have to get lucky with randoms if you plan on using less powerful characters.

Also, I agree that N7 level, challenge points, and banners don't necessarily equate skill. I've seen people with the best of the best banner who couldn't hold up for very long.
#12Generalk121(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 5:30:02 PM
Alright, I've gained a somewhat better understanding regarding the question I asked. Seems the general consensus is that teammates play an important factor on your performance "something I completely overlooked seeing as all I play with are randoms". Initially my view on gold was just me waiting for the day something finally "clicks" and beginning to start dealing with gold as if it's any other house chore. Anyways, thanks for the info everyone.
---
---
Call someone a Woman = Trolling. Never change Mods. ~GT = Faint DVS~
#13BakusaiTenketsuPosted 1/23/2013 5:47:53 PM
Having a team with mics helps a lot.

I joined one game where everyone had a mic, and there was actual team work with setting up choke points, who would take what, and how we would handle objectives and protecting ourselves.

Without mics, it's more like a bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut off seeing who can be the better Leeroy Jenkins.
---
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3156/couchpotatocat.gif
#14MedicFromHellPosted 1/23/2013 6:01:03 PM
Generalk121 posted...
Alright, I've gained a somewhat better understanding regarding the question I asked. Seems the general consensus is that teammates play an important factor on your performance "something I completely overlooked seeing as all I play with are randoms". Initially my view on gold was just me waiting for the day something finally "clicks" and beginning to start dealing with gold as if it's any other house chore. Anyways, thanks for the info everyone.
---

The whole game will "click" when you master spawn control. Knowing wave budgets and spawn points on maps is the most valuable tool anyone can use to master MP.

As for using consumables in your previous post...

Just wondering does it ever get to a point where you play gold or plat difficulties so much that you're able to play them regularly without breaking a sweat.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not terribad or anything but lately I've made the decision to exclusively play gold with a couple or silvers thrown in now again. One thing I've noticed is that even though a mostly score the highest, I have to play like an absolute tryhard and I find myself left with half of my consumables at the end of the match. I just wanna know if it's like this for the majority of you or if I'm actually just worse than what I rate myself to be.

I mainly ask this because sometimes I encounter players with N7's in their 3000+ yet they do pretty damn bad during game. I know N7 doesn't equal skill but every time I see this I ask myself "didn't they learn anything or improve at all from playing this game for so long?"
---

... you'll find that being a "tryhard" is natural and consumables, like AP 4 or missiles, simply grant you more points and lessen risks involved. You could play the match without consumables but 1) It will take longer ( less credits per hour ) and 2) The risk goes up on Gold/Platinum.

Sounds like you're a good player all said and done.
---
GT: Razerath ...the GI that conquered Goddess.
#15Superfluou5Posted 1/23/2013 6:04:50 PM
BakusaiTenketsu posted...
Without mics, it's more like a bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut off seeing who can be the better Leeroy Jenkins.

That sounds awesome actually.
---
lll Jank lll
(those are L's)
#16vigorm0rtisPosted 1/23/2013 6:12:35 PM
bman52480 posted...

How people solo platinum in anything under a lifetime I have no idea.

No kidding. I'm really not willing to make the effort anymore-- you should really be able to pause if you're playing solo. Watched a guy's drellguard platinum solo v. reapers the other day, he was a rockstar-- just under a hour and 10 minutes.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#17code_kirinPosted 1/23/2013 6:32:44 PM
I consider "tryhard" in this game to be using TGI Harrier or GI Piranha/Javelin/Claymore, etc. Using consumables and equipment is par for the course.
#18Mystery_CooperPosted 1/23/2013 7:42:53 PM
No amount of experience will keep me calm when I have several Altas and Phantoms on my ass because my teammates died. To me, Gold now feels natural to point where Bronze and Silver are absolute jokes, but I doubt I'll ever master it to the point where I can deal with swarms of bosses without using a Gel or Ops Pack after everyone else is dead.

Though the problem here is probably that if I truly soloing, I'd be able to easily kite them, whereas in the above situation, they're all scattered from murdering my teammates and it's harder to kite when they're all homing in on me from multiple directions.
---
This one's focused! Stay dangerous!
THIS ARE SERIOUS CHAT. I ARE SERIOUS ADMIN. - CJayC
#19GoldenSWarriorsPosted 1/23/2013 8:06:31 PM
I've solo'd plat twice now, but I fail gold games from time to time. Mainly when I lose it's because I'm not using a good character/equipment and my team turns out to be completely worthless, so it's basically like a solo that I didn't plan for.
---
GT: F3rocious Panda
#20bman52480Posted 1/24/2013 3:57:08 AM
vigorm0rtis posted...
bman52480 posted...

How people solo platinum in anything under a lifetime I have no idea.

No kidding. I'm really not willing to make the effort anymore-- you should really be able to pause if you're playing solo. Watched a guy's drellguard platinum solo v. reapers the other day, he was a rockstar-- just under a hour and 10 minutes.

Managed a second Gold solo today for the stupid challenge. Never going to even try the platinum again, and evidently I don't need it for the stupid banner I for no reason want anyway.

Took me 34 minutes for gold solo, platinum I couldn't get past wave 5.
---
"The Miss Universe Pageant is fixed, the winners are always from Earth."