the original hated ending and the new ending?

#41CycknessPosted 1/28/2013 2:06:17 PM
meltor13 posted...
some09guy II posted...
Plot hole is an inconsistency in established lore or behavior which goes unexplained by the plot. Fan excuses do not actually cover plot holes. Convoluted explanations can be possible with regards to them, but unless specifically addressed within the work then they remain plot holes, contrary to fanboy opinion.

Deus ex machina is a plot point in which something is suddenly introduced to solve an otherwise unsolvable problem. Derived from Greek plays and meaning God of the Machine in which during the end a "god" would be wired down onto the stage to solve all problems and put everything right.

As much hate as 'deus ex machina' gets it is still used quite frequently, even in many well-regarded novels, stories, movies, games, etc. It's one of those complaints that are a little nitpicky to me. It's almost guaranteed that there are several deus ex machina moments in anyone's favorite works of literature, games, etc.

People mainly have a problem with the way deus ex machina is injected in a plot more so than they have a problem with the concept itself. There are good ways to introduce it... like, say, the giant eagles in the LOTR trilogy coming to rescue Frodo and Sam from ruined Mt Doom. You can cry deus ex machina there too but most people consider it forgivable because 1). that wasn't the first time the eagles appeared in the quest. 2). It made logical sense that they would be watching the two hobbits from afar and capable of flying over Mordor only after Sauron's stronghold had fallen.

ME 3's endings.... don't really have established evidence (foreshadowing) or logic going for it.
---
PSN: FuriousGeorge3
"The ice man cometh, Sander Baby... The ice man ******* cometh"
#42XeroxicidePosted 1/28/2013 2:07:22 PM
ozzyman314 posted...
As bad as the Original ending was, it was not the worst ending to a game I've played.
AC III had to be the worst ending I've seen in a game.

Desmond's entire storyline throughout the entire series was awful. I was more disappointed by how terrible the final sequences in AC3 were.
---
I remember when GameFAQs was good.
#43meltor13Posted 1/28/2013 2:15:06 PM
TinCynic posted...
meltor13 posted...
some09guy II posted...
Plot hole is an inconsistency in established lore or behavior which goes unexplained by the plot. Fan excuses do not actually cover plot holes. Convoluted explanations can be possible with regards to them, but unless specifically addressed within the work then they remain plot holes, contrary to fanboy opinion.

Deus ex machina is a plot point in which something is suddenly introduced to solve an otherwise unsolvable problem. Derived from Greek plays and meaning God of the Machine in which during the end a "god" would be wired down onto the stage to solve all problems and put everything right.

As much hate as 'deus ex machina' gets it is still used quite frequently, even in many well-regarded novels, stories, movies, games, etc. It's one of those complaints that are a little nitpicky to me. It's almost guaranteed that there are several deus ex machina moments in anyone's favorite works of literature, games, etc.

Just because deus ex machina is used in other works doesn't make it ok that it was used in ME3. Bioware is still at fault for using lazy, illogical, 11th hour solutions to solve the Reaper problem.

I never claimed it was OK. I just thought I would point out that it is funny that people will cry 'DEUS EX MACHINA OMG TERRIBLE' when it is used in one place while praising it when used in another piece.
---
MarioKart 64 Main: Bowser
GT: MELTOR13
#44CycknessPosted 1/28/2013 2:21:43 PM
meltor13 posted...
TinCynic posted...
meltor13 posted...
some09guy II posted...

Just because deus ex machina is used in other works doesn't make it ok that it was used in ME3. Bioware is still at fault for using lazy, illogical, 11th hour solutions to solve the Reaper problem.

I never claimed it was OK. I just thought I would point out that it is funny that people will cry 'DEUS EX MACHINA OMG TERRIBLE' when it is used in one place while praising it when used in another piece.

No, there is nothing "funny" about it. Deus ex machina can be implemented well and it can be implemented poorly. *shrugs*
---
PSN: FuriousGeorge3
"The ice man cometh, Sander Baby... The ice man ******* cometh"
#45meltor13Posted 1/28/2013 2:23:59 PM
Cyckness posted...
meltor13 posted...
some09guy II posted...

People mainly have a problem with the way deus ex machina is injected in a plot more so than they have a problem with the concept itself. There are good ways to introduce it... like, say, the giant eagles in the LOTR trilogy coming to rescue Frodo and Sam from ruined Mt Doom. You can cry deus ex machina there too but most people consider it forgivable because 1). that wasn't the first time the eagles appeared in the quest. 2). It made logical sense that they would be watching the two hobbits from afar and capable of flying over Mordor only after Sauron's stronghold had fallen.

ME 3's endings.... don't really have established evidence (foreshadowing) or logic going for it.

I'm not going to get into an argument with you, because I do believe LoTR was handled better (I mean, c'mon...just about anything went better than ME3's ending)...but still...this is exactly what I was trying to point out.

If you enjoy something you can easily make excuses for (or overlook) flaws in stories, etc. LoTR, Batman Trilogy, Avengers, many many more, etc.

I loathe these kinds of topics though so I will leave y'all haters in peace. Stay strong, my brothers.
---
MarioKart 64 Main: Bowser
GT: MELTOR13