Speculation on Mass Effect 4 and its canon.

#41DestinPosted 2/5/2013 7:42:15 AM
VirtualAnomoly posted...
I personally want Shepard's potential child is named in the Codex, but never shown, this way it could be Asari or human (Codex entry gone/adoption if you romance Tali or Kaidan/ Thane or Garrus)

why do people think Shepard's child should be a thing at all? FemShep never has her own kid so the only option is Liara, BroShep's got Liara, Ashley and if you really want to stretch it Kelly Chambers and Diana Allers (ugh). Miranda can't have kids either.

why and when would Thane adopt? he already has a kid.
---
Destin the Valiant
#42BlitzPanther(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 4:42:06 PM
Because we who romanced Liara expect "a lot of little blue children."
#43charon78auPosted 2/5/2013 6:23:01 PM
Spacefrisian posted...
They should place the next ME series 500 (200 at minimum) years after the 3rd part, that gives alot of time space to have certain details to be forgotten.

But who would be the big bad species that would endanger the Milky Way.

Why must there be a big bad galactic-level threat?
---
(Im)mature Aussie gamer. Don't pay the ferry man. Don't even fix a price.
GT: Charon78
#44Azarath314Posted 2/5/2013 6:48:45 PM
Plot of ME4:

Opening scene: players ending choice from ME 3 and visual representations of consequences then a growing white light appears washing out everything. White starts to fade and reveals Eden Prime and the broken prothian beacon and then the screen goes black.

Shepard opens his eyes to realize he/she is back on the Normandy, in the sick bay with Dr. Chakwas looking over him/her. The game begins.
#45charon78auPosted 2/5/2013 6:56:34 PM
Azarath314 posted...
Plot of ME4:

Opening scene: players ending choice from ME 3 and visual representations of consequences then a growing white light appears washing out everything. White starts to fade and reveals Eden Prime and the broken prothian beacon and then the screen goes black.

Shepard opens his eyes to realize he/she is back on the Normandy, in the sick bay with Dr. Chakwas looking over him/her. The game begins.

A series Mulligan?

Hmm...
---
#46Aurion819Posted 2/5/2013 7:30:53 PM
charon78au posted...
Spacefrisian posted...
They should place the next ME series 500 (200 at minimum) years after the 3rd part, that gives alot of time space to have certain details to be forgotten.

For most games, I'd agree, but Mass Effect is built on it's galactic problems. Whatever problem arises, it should either pose a galaxy-wide threat or be on the verge of becoming one. Otherwise, the krogan aren't likely to care about, say, a human rebellion (Alliance vs. Terminus colonists). Now, if this threat begins to turn into a Terminus Systems vs. Council war, then we have a reason for the galaxy to care.

A smaller scale conflict would work as maybe a spin-off game (think Assassin's Creed Brotherhood in relation to the main trilogy), but for a fully fledged Mass Effect game, I think a galactic threat is necessary.

Other possibilities I've thought of:
-Council infighting after the Asari are revealed to have harbored Prothean technology that gave them an advantage for thousands of years. Brewing civil war.

-The Council begins to allow the exploration of unmapped mass relays. We open up a can of worms similar to the Rachni (who were the reason such exploration was shut down).

-The vastness of the Milky Way turns up an alien empire similar to the Protheans that has existed between the cracks of our systems, unconnected by the mass relays. Being Prothean-esque, they prove militant and bent on conquest.

-We explore other galaxies. See the last two ideas for likely outcomes.

This is all assuming that the next game is a sequel.
---
"When you open your mind to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth."
#47charon78auPosted 2/5/2013 7:38:19 PM
Aurion819 posted...
charon78au posted...
Spacefrisian posted...

For most games, I'd agree, but Mass Effect is built on it's galactic problems. Whatever problem arises, it should either pose a galaxy-wide threat or be on the verge of becoming one. Otherwise, the krogan aren't likely to care about, say, a human rebellion (Alliance vs. Terminus colonists). Now, if this threat begins to turn into a Terminus Systems vs. Council war, then we have a reason for the galaxy to care.

A smaller scale conflict would work as maybe a spin-off game (think Assassin's Creed Brotherhood in relation to the main trilogy), but for a fully fledged Mass Effect game, I think a galactic threat is necessary.

Other possibilities I've thought of:
-Council infighting after the Asari are revealed to have harbored Prothean technology that gave them an advantage for thousands of years. Brewing civil war.

-The Council begins to allow the exploration of unmapped mass relays. We open up a can of worms similar to the Rachni (who were the reason such exploration was shut down).

-The vastness of the Milky Way turns up an alien empire similar to the Protheans that has existed between the cracks of our systems, unconnected by the mass relays. Being Prothean-esque, they prove militant and bent on conquest.

-We explore other galaxies. See the last two ideas for likely outcomes.

This is all assuming that the next game is a sequel.

I don't entirely agree. Most of ME1 and ME2 were about less than galactic level threats - albeit with that threat looming large on the horizon. I do think that the "end of the world (galactic civilisation)" scenario is overused. Character driven stories can work within any scale. Obviously there needs to be some gravitas to any antagonistic force, but the entire galaxy need not be at stake.
---
#48Aurion819Posted 2/5/2013 8:59:31 PM
charon78au posted...
I don't entirely agree. Most of ME1 and ME2 were about less than galactic level threats - albeit with that threat looming large on the horizon. I do think that the "end of the world (galactic civilisation)" scenario is overused. Character driven stories can work within any scale. Obviously there needs to be some gravitas to any antagonistic force, but the entire galaxy need not be at stake.

I think that looming threat is what I was thinking of. I would be okay with playing a ME game in a smaller setting, but I think that possibility of galactic implications is an important aspect. Maybe not the destruction of sentient life as we know it, but just threatening the peace and balance of power in a recently (or not-so-recently) stabilized galaxy.

Reconfiguring my thoughts, an organization more like what Cerberus seemed to be in ME2 could be the antagonist, some sort of radical group that is moving from espionage and subterfuge to violence to achieve their goal. You'll play a character with some established personal tie to them (maybe a former agent) that works to stop them before they DO become a big, bad threat. Or... maybe I'm just too hung up on galactic threats, too. My apologies.
---
"When you open your mind to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth."
#49Xero_MachariusPosted 2/6/2013 1:00:04 AM
I would of liked to have killed Liara off in ME2...
---
GT - Xero M XTC
http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/inventory/?name=Xero%20M%20XTC&platform=xbox
#50SpacefrisianPosted 2/6/2013 8:29:37 AM
charon78au posted...
Spacefrisian posted...

Gives a much better feeling once you completed the game. At least to me and most i know.

Otherwise it would feel as empty as after completing FF8 where you save a few peeps compared to FF7 where you actually save the world.
---
Lets move mountains or mount movements.