Volus Mercenary build?

#1sheepman23Posted 1/28/2013 4:09:08 PM
Finally got one of the three characters I've been missing for a long time.

I know he's not exactly the greatest kit ever, but how do you guys spec him? Also, what weapons, types of ammo, and other equipment do you like to use on him? I was thinking of going with 6/6/4/6/4 as a build - Decoy only really needs four points to be effective, and without four ranks of Fitness a Volus can be instantly downed by an Atlas rocket on Gold...
---
XBL GT - Sheepman2342
#2GoldenSWarriorsPosted 1/28/2013 4:11:05 PM
Do you really need fitness with decoy, combat drone, cloak, and shield boost?
---
GT: F3rocious Panda
#3SSJGrimReaperPosted 1/28/2013 4:12:04 PM(edited)
Volus with fitness points? wat dah hayll
---
The Shredder.
http://i.imgur.com/9YYgh0W.gif http://i.imgur.com/UlhIAMC.gif
#4charon78auPosted 1/28/2013 4:12:53 PM
Either nothing in decoy, or skip the 6th point of his passive and put 3 into it.

Spec drone for explosions, shock and chain lightning.
Spec shield boost for radius, recharge and protection.
Max fitness for durability.

I use the eagle with cryo or incendiary rounds on him. get plenty of kills and keep the team alive. A lot of fun.
---
(Im)mature Aussie gamer. Don't pay the ferry man. Don't even fix a price.
GT: Charon78
#5code_kirinPosted 1/28/2013 4:13:17 PM
I did 6/6/5/5/4. 5 in decoy for the shock evolution. If you find you don't need it, you can just leave it at 3. I only have him with a collector SMG. He's the definition of support class, so I don't really go for big numbers with this guy.
#6Havoc49JPosted 1/28/2013 4:16:37 PM
A volus with one remaining health bar can be one shotted even with shield gating and shield boost DR by an atlas. The stagger animation lasts long enough to burn through the last bar of health before you regain control of your character. Volus should always have at least rank 3 fitness to avoid this.
#7sheepman23(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 4:16:55 PM
SSJGrimReaper posted...

Like I said, the DOT from an Atlas rocket can kill a Volus on Gold before he even has a chance to use Shield Boost. I think that four ranks are needed before that can be overcome.

Out of curiosity, do Decoy/Combat Drone set off tech/cryo/fire explosions?
---
XBL GT - Sheepman2342
#8SSJGrimReaperPosted 1/28/2013 4:19:10 PM
SSJGrimReaper posted...

Like I said, the DOT from an Atlas rocket can kill a Volus on Gold before he even has a chance to use Shield Boost. I think that four ranks are needed before that can be overcome.

I think so, only if you choose the exploding evolution for both
---
The Shredder.
http://i.imgur.com/9YYgh0W.gif http://i.imgur.com/UlhIAMC.gif
#9GoldenSWarriorsPosted 1/28/2013 4:19:32 PM
sheepman23 posted...
SSJGrimReaper posted...

I think when they explode they do.
---
GT: F3rocious Panda
#10sheepman23(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 4:54:31 PM
So, I tried a Silver game with him. Ended up in 2nd Place with about 60,000 points behind a TGI (who had 90K).

It was one of the most interesting playstyles I've ever had. I used a Scorpion with Incendiary Rounds, and basically ran around diverting as much attention as possible from my squadmates. It's silly how much Phantoms can get hung up on a single Decoy - in fact, most of the Cerberus mooks were obsessed with my little fake Volus. I would use Combat Drone to stun enemies, shoot them with the Scorpion, and watch as the little mines staggered them left and right.

I'd like to try him on Gold, but I feel like I need a few more Silver matches with him to get the hang of it. It's just so weird not having any powers that deal direct damage...
---
XBL GT - Sheepman2342