Why are people so bad with the Volus?

#1GoldenSWarriorsPosted 1/30/2013 2:21:00 PM
Most of the time when somebody is a Volus they never shield boost me, or when the Volus is using shield boost a lot, they score like 20k-40k points. How is that even possible? I just played a platinum game with the Volus engineer and got 230k points. Topped the scoreboard even with 2 Huntresses and a Geth Trooper on the team, all using level 3/4 equipment. I also kept everybody alive pretty well. I was the only person with a revive medal.

The Volus are all so good, I don't understand how everyone is so terrible with them. I could see maybe getting a low score with the Sentinel, since it has no offensive powers (combat drone doesn't count). But there is no excuse at all for getting less than 60-70k in a gold/platinum game with any character ever.
---
GT: F3rocious Panda
#2Mr_PipboyPosted 1/30/2013 2:24:12 PM
I'm going to guess that most of these people think its expected that a volus will score low, and then go up to gold/platinum before they are ready to get carried for more credits.
---
In case you can't tell, I was being sarcastic.
www.Omega-level.net | Salarian Sniper King
#3sheepman23Posted 1/30/2013 2:30:44 PM(edited)
Even a Mercenary should be able to attain a high number of points. With two distractions that both potentially stun enemies, a good weapon can make it so easy to lock down trash mobs and shoot them like fish in a barrel. Just a few nights ago I managed to score 110K with him on Cerberus/Glacier/Gold.

At the very least, there is no excuse for an Engineer not doing well - he's possibly the best debuffer in the game, yet for some reason every one that I see insists on continuously setting and detonating Recon Mine. *facepalm*
---
XBL GT - Sheepman2342
#4Havoc49JPosted 1/30/2013 2:30:47 PM
Mr_Pipboy posted...
I'm going to guess that most of these people think its expected that a volus will score low, and then go up to gold/platinum before they are ready to get carried for more credits.

This. Most people see the Volus as an excuse to score low and still feel useful. The few times I've seen gamefaqs players use the Volus they still manage to be competitive score wise while being supportive of their teammates. Slap a PPR on the engineer or the Reegar on the vanguard and you'll be golden on any difficulty.
#5meltor13Posted 1/30/2013 2:32:07 PM
I like my little Volus Engineer.

I have only played him a couple of times, but I have noticed that it can be difficult sometimes to play both offensively and defensively, as Shield Boost/Proxy Mine (my main power of choice for damage, unless there are bosses and/or large groups around) share cooldowns.

I have had trouble providing Shield Boosts to my homies while also attempting to chuck out proxy mines, as I always fear I'm going to shoot out a proxy mine and then have a teammate get downed while the animation/cooldown is happening.
---
MarioKart 64 Main: Bowser
GT: MELTOR13
#6MegaTape13Posted 1/30/2013 2:32:24 PM
Mr_Pipboy posted...

That is my assumption as well. I figure they see Shield Boosting as a way to make up for their lack of knowledge, experience, competence, and/or damage output in higher difficulties, and then get in over their head.

Out of curiosity, what gun did you use? Talon X? I still haven't found a gun that I particularly like on the Volus.
---
Oh the movie never ends...
GT: IHOP 13
#7sheepman23Posted 1/30/2013 2:37:33 PM(edited)
MegaTape13 posted...
Out of curiosity, what gun did you use? Talon X? I still haven't found a gun that I particularly like on the Volus.

I know your question wasn't directed at me, but...

For the Engineer I usually go with the Talon, or sometimes the Saber (which is really effective due to Invasive Scan on RM).

On the Mercenary I like the Scorpion w/ Incendiary Rounds for some odd reason... I like to distract enemies with Decoy/Combat Drone and then proceed to fire off a volley of little mines to stagger and leave them wide open for other attacks.

I always use the Piranha, Reegar, or Wraith on the Vanguard.

I haven't played the Adept enough to really have a preference.
---
XBL GT - Sheepman2342
#8Mr_PipboyPosted 1/30/2013 2:37:20 PM
Volus Javelin ... all day, every day.
---
In case you can't tell, I was being sarcastic.
www.Omega-level.net | Salarian Sniper King
#9infinitexxPosted 1/30/2013 2:40:03 PM
sheepman23 posted...
Even a Mercenary should be able to attain a high number of points. With two distractions that both potentially stun enemies, a good weapon can make it so easy to lock down trash mobs and shoot them like fish in a barrel. Just a few nights ago I managed to score 110K with him on Cerberus/Glacier/Gold.

At the very least, there is no excuse for an Engineer not doing well - he's possibly the best debuffer in the game, yet for some reason every one that I see insists on continuously setting and detonating Recon Mine. *facepalm*

I was just tearing it up with a Merc using Wraith, plus side to him is there's little reason to have another power interfere with Shield Boosts cooldown.
---
Posted from my Xbox360 with 360FAQS v1.1
#10GoldenSWarriors(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 2:52:55 PM
MegaTape13 posted...
Mr_Pipboy posted...

That is my assumption as well. I figure they see Shield Boosting as a way to make up for their lack of knowledge, experience, competence, and/or damage output in higher difficulties, and then get in over their head.

Collector SMG and Acolyte with targetting VI and SMG amp.
---
GT: F3rocious Panda