Mass Effect depression

#1shadowlucas27Posted 2/1/2013 9:21:07 PM
After completing ME3, I have absolutely no desire to replay the Mass Effect games, and whenever I even think about Mass Effect, a feeling of disappointment washes over me, and I have no idea why. I hated the original ending, but the Extended Cut fixed a lot of my complaints, and I was pleased with it. Yet, I still have the feeling of unfufillment, like everything I played in Mass Effect was for nothing. Maybe I'm just sad it's over, but either way, I don't even want to think about the Mass Effect series anymore.
---
Fear not when, fear not why, fear not much while were alive.
#2FearOfTheLightPosted 2/1/2013 9:35:32 PM
Wait for the next Gears of War game/Elder Scroll game to focus on TC.

It'll solve your depression.
---
---
"When I'm walking a dark road, I am a man who walks alone" - Iron Maiden
#3shadowlucas27(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 9:38:03 PM
Eww, no gears please.
---
#48bitPunkPosted 2/1/2013 9:41:51 PM
shadowlucas27 posted...
After completing ME3, I have absolutely no desire to replay the Mass Effect games....

I know that feel bro. Give it a few weeks, then come back and play the Multiplayer.

The ME Series is still great, the frustration I feel is more due to lost potential than anything else. Call it 'Executive Meddling', "Too many chefs spoil the sauce", or whatever metaphor you prefer, ME3 was a game that failed to live up to the expectations of many fans.

If you are like me, you will never buy another Bioware/EA game at launch. I'll wait until the price drops significantly.
---
Xbox 360 GT: o 8bitPunk o
#5shadowlucas27(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 9:44:43 PM
8bitPunk posted...
shadowlucas27 posted...
After completing ME3, I have absolutely no desire to replay the Mass Effect games....

I know that feel bro. Give it a few weeks, then come back and play the Multiplayer.

The ME Series is still great, the frustration I feel is more due to lost potential than anything else. Call it 'Executive Meddling', "Too many chefs spoil the sauce", or whatever metaphor you prefer, ME3 was a game that failed to live up to the expectations of many fans.

If you are like me, you will never buy another Bioware/EA game at launch. I'll wait until the price drops significantly.

Totally agree. I just feel like ME3 could have been just so much more.
---
#6roo10158Posted 2/1/2013 10:42:57 PM
I recently read this editorial on the ME3 Ending, and I found it most intriguing. Since you feel unfulfilled with the ending, this may interest you:

http://galacticpillow.com/2012/04/02/editorial-the-reapers-advocate-a-different-take-on-the-mass-effect-3-ending/
---
My systems: Genesis/32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, GG, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, Xbox360, PS1, PS2, PS3, GBC, DS Lite, DSi XL, 3DS, PS VITA
#78bitPunkPosted 2/1/2013 11:14:37 PM
roo10158 posted...
I recently read this editorial on the ME3 Ending, and I found it most intriguing. Since you feel unfulfilled with the ending, this may interest you:

http://galacticpillow.com/2012/04/02/editorial-the-reapers-advocate-a-different-take-on-the-mass-effect-3-ending/

I tried to read the article, but there is too much fluff.

We can try to intellectualize the ending all we want, but our visceral feelings wont change.
---
#8M4karovPosted 2/1/2013 11:44:06 PM(edited)
Just a thought but could this possibly be a case of something like "Avatar depression"? By that I mean the people who saw Avatar and were depressed that real life was nowhere near as satisfying as the movie. Just thinking about the movie afterwards made them depressed.

Not that Mass Effect portrays some ideal world like Avatar did, but it does have some similarities real life cant live up to. Dramatic romances, being the most important person in the galaxy, etc...
#98bitPunkPosted 2/2/2013 12:42:45 AM
M4karov posted...
Just a thought but could this possibly be a case of something like "Avatar depression"? By that I mean the people who saw Avatar and were depressed that real life was nowhere near as satisfying as the movie. Just thinking about the movie afterwards made them depressed.

Not that Mass Effect portrays some ideal world like Avatar did, but it does have some similarities real life cant live up to. Dramatic romances, being the most important person in the galaxy, etc...

I always compare feelings after completing a trilogy to what I felt when I watched Star Wars Episodes 4-6 as a child/teen.

After you see the epic final confrontation, reconciliation with the father, etc, etc, there is that final celebration on Endor, and you really feel like they accomplished something grand.

The credits roll, and I was left with a sense of deep satisfaction, but also sadness that the journey was over. Usually this is followed by, "What am I doing with my life?" self-reflection whenever I enjoy any series as an adult (Film/Books/etc).

With ME's ending. There was no satisfaction, just bitter frustration. While you have to respect any media which can cause a shift in emotion (positive or negative), ME3 went from the most amazing Action/RPG to, "A pretty good 3rd Person Shooter/RPG" with a terrible ending (which they originally tried to defend with "Artistic Integrity").
---
#10TheM00dPosted 2/2/2013 12:45:37 AM
Wait for it...
---
GT- CCCC0MB0BREAKER