Vanguard>>Bonus Power>>Powers>>Insanity

#1CODOG_OMEGAPosted 2/2/2013 4:13:24 AM
I'm starting this play through with my imported ME2 save file, even tho this will be my second time around (no Internet means no updates..... and I really want to play with my original character this time), here is what I need help with before I begin:

Choosing the right Bonus Power:
-Carnage
-Marksman
-Proximity Mine
-Decoy
-Defense Drone
-Energy Drain
-Inferno Grenade
-Stasis
-Warp Ammo
-Defense Matrix
-Fortification
-Armor-Piercing Ammo
^
Which one of these would be more effective?

Leveling-up Powers early on:
-Incendiary Ammo
-Cryo ammo
-Pull
-Biotic Charge
-Shockwave
-Nova
-Assault Mastery
-Fitness
-?
^
Which Powers should I focus leveling-up on?
---
If yuo've sniged up ot GmaeQFAs thne yuo shuodl kwno yuo aer nto a gmaer... Sreoilusy!
#2StonedwolfedPosted 2/2/2013 6:37:03 AM
If you're bringing over a ME2 character won't you start very high level already? Mine was.

As such you'll get a TON of powers.
---
GT viberunner - MW2 Legend - now with added microphone technology
#3SageOfLifePosted 2/2/2013 6:38:47 AM
Reave. Combined with the Vanguard's innate biotics, you'll have near complete versatility in making your own biotic explosions.
---
I am the lizard queen!
#4sir_fredingtonPosted 2/2/2013 6:44:18 AM
SageOfLife posted...
Reave. Combined with the Vanguard's innate biotics, you'll have near complete versatility in making your own biotic explosions.

He doesn't have reave.

I suggest inferno grenade, since you can throw it and then charge, resulting in a fire explosion. Then you can nova, resulting in more fire explosions.
#5LilyxLightningPosted 2/2/2013 7:28:52 AM
If you want to focus on close-range combat, one of the defensive powers should be a good choice—Fortification for greater melee damage, or Defense Matrix for shield restoration.

To make up for the Vanguard's long-range shortcomings, good choices are Carnage (massive damage against armor), Marksman (increases accuracy and rate of fire for weapons), or Proximity Mine (which can be evolved for a movement speed or damage taken debuff).

Energy Drain and Inferno Grenade are also good choices, the former to make up for the Vanguard's lack of anti-shield/barrier powers and the latter because the Vanguard normally lacks a grenade power.

As for the Vanguard's powers, if you're focusing on close-range combat, Charge and Fitness are must-haves. Nova's also a good choice for close-range fighters.

You should also have Incendiary Ammo, for the damage increase, debuff, and Fire Explosion potential; at least one rank of Pull, for dealing with Guardians; and Shockwave, for staggering/disabling groups of enemies and Biotic Explosions.
---
Lightning. It flashes bright, then fades away. It can't protect. It only destroys.
#6Ruthac_ArusPosted 2/2/2013 10:54:59 AM
I'm having a heck of a lot of fun with this build in my first ME3 Vanguard playthrough: http://social.bioware.com/%20http:/social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect-3/Mass-Effect-3-Gameplay-Strategy-amp-Builds-Discussion-Spoilers-allowed/Commander-Shepard-the-honorary-krogan-Battlemaster-11399010-1.html

You can replace the Barrier in this build with Fortification and it'll be about the same effect- the bonus power's mainly for the increased DR.
---
"Less talking and more going away!" -Sarda the Sage
http://ruthac-arus.deviantart.com/gallery (Now with 100% more Midna =P)
#7meltor13Posted 2/2/2013 11:11:52 AM
IMHO, Vanguard is a class that really doesn't NEED a bonus power.
---
MarioKart 64 Main: Bowser
GT: MELTOR13
#8AigonrothPosted 2/2/2013 8:59:14 PM(edited)
For your Bonus Power, well you do not have Reave, so that doesn't really leave you many options, you have 2 real options, you can pick a power that will at least let you get some biotic explosions, Stasis (doesn't work on any opponents with an Armor Bar) or you can pick a power that won't bother your cooldowns, which would be Inferno Grenade.

I would personally pick Inferno Grenade just for the hell of it, you really aren't going to need your bonus power (Liara with Warp can be used for setting up Biotic Detonations).

As for the Powers to level up first 1) Charge: Radius, Power Synergy, Barrier 2) Nova: Force & Damage, Power Recharge, Pierce, and 3) Assault Mastery: Damage, Weight Capacity, Power Intensity, then I would go Fitness: Durability, Melee Synergy, Durability.

After that is largely irrelevant, you can go nuts and build the rest of your abilities as you see fit.

EDIT: Though if you were going to go a particular path I would go Incendiary Ammo: Either, Either, Explosive Burst, Cryo Ammo: Either, Either, Damage Combo.

After that just pick which of your remaining three powers you like the least and avoid putting points there until your other two powers are maxed. (I would personally max out your Bonus Power and Pull, though both Pull and Shockwave are fairly lackluster, so this choice really doesn't matter.
---
"I love nailing Asari, so ageless and superior. Then you get them and they squeal like schoolgirls"- Gianna Parasini, Mass Effect 2.
#9wrexwrecksPosted 2/3/2013 2:16:21 PM
Nova is the best addition to the Vanguard suite of powers. Even though it might seem like a throwaway power since you basically have to purposefully charge into trouble for it be useful, it lets you purposefully charge into trouble, wreak havoc, and get to cover.

Also, no cooldown, and charge, with the right upgrades, refills your entire barrier bar so you always have maximum nova power right when you need to use it.

It's also a really good panic button if you accidentally get yourself swarmed by husks or something.
---
It's gor-GET - because there are no French people in Westeros.
#10CODOG_OMEGA(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 12:01:38 PM
I know Reave is a most have for any Vanguard but unfortunately I didn't spare Kaiden on Virmire, I hate Bioware, and even if I had it would of required the default Shepard character to be imported in my next play through... which I'm not doing because I ****ing hate that ****ers face! >_<

Given all the info that was provided I should be alright. You know if Bioware had just fixed the import feature before releasing their game none of this would be a problem for me, I could of just ran through all the requirements to get Javik's Dark Channel in my first play through and then started a fresh new game with Dark Channel.

I am more than grateful for your assistance, guys. I will be testing to determine which setup will benefit me in the long run. Thanks
---
If yuo've sniged up ot GmaeQFAs thne yuo shuodl kwno yuo aer nto a gmaer... Sreoilusy!