My First Single Player Ending. What went wrong? SPOILERS

#1StonedwolfedPosted 2/2/2013 8:02:52 AM
Not a great fan of Space Magic. Not a great fan of god kids. Not a great fan of palette swap endings.

Was expecting all of that.

Got to the Illusive Man. Have 50/50 Paragon/Renegade. Get one set of P/R dialogue options, the second lot were greyed out. So it ended in a gun fight. Okay.

Get to the Catalyst.

Instead of being SPACE MAGIC he's an AI created by the Leviathans to solve the problem of the synthetic threat to organic life. He rebelled (irony!) and created the Reapers and their cycles.

He gives me pretty much exactly the same dialogue from The Matrix.

Your life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the matrix. You are the eventuality of an anomaly, which despite my sincerest efforts I have been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise a harmony of mathematical precision. While it remains a burden assiduously avoided, it is not unexpected, and thus not beyond a measure of control. Which has led you, inexorably, here.

And the ancient AI isn't just about control, it's also seeking to broaden it's horizons. It created the Mass Relays to speed the cycles up. It doesn't *just* want to harvest and control, harvesting advanced life and letting lesser life have it's time in the stars, it's also (unlike the Matrix's architect) sufficiently aware of it's own flaws to accept a new solution from one who can demonstrate sufficient resolve to challenge it.

So I got my pistol and shot him in the head.

I then get a cut-scene of a child and a parent (?) listening to Liara's hologram and saying they used that to defeat the Reaper threat in their cycle.

(1) why did everyone call the Catalyst Space Child God Witch Magic when in fact it was just a very old, powerful, intelligent AI created by a very old, powerful, intelligent race?

(2) Wasn't there supposed a ton of cut scenes with what happened to the crew and everything? Even if that was just the Destroy ending (was it?) shouldn't I have seen all the ships blow up?
---
GT viberunner - MW2 Legend - now with added microphone technology
#2Gruntpunk72Posted 2/2/2013 8:16:41 AM
You chose refuse which is by far the worst ending in the game.

You have to choose one of the paths he gives you.

Destroy is on the right.

Enjoy!
---
"Walk up to someone, anyone, and tap them on the shoulder. When they turn around, YOU RIP THEIR HEART OUT"-duckfreek
#3LilyxLightningPosted 2/2/2013 8:17:00 AM
Shooting the Catalyst results in the Refusal ending, where you don't use the Crucible and everyone dies.

1. Because those people who call the Catalyst "Space Child God Witch Magic" didn't listen to a single word it said and couldn't be bothered to give a minute's worth of thought to what they encountered in the ending. Alternatively, they wanted to further an agenda which would be supported by deceiving people about the ending.

2. The scenes don't occur with Refusal, seeing as everyone dies.
---
Lightning. It flashes bright, then fades away. It can't protect. It only destroys.
#4SageOfLifePosted 2/2/2013 8:28:42 AM
LilyxLightning posted...
Shooting the Catalyst results in the Refusal ending, where you don't use the Crucible and everyone dies.

1. Because those people who call the Catalyst "Space Child God Witch Magic" didn't listen to a single word it said and couldn't be bothered to give a minute's worth of thought to what they encountered in the ending. Alternatively, they wanted to further an agenda which would be supported by deceiving people about the ending.

Oh look. Lily's lying and insulting people again. Is anyone surprised?
---
I am the lizard queen!
#5overkill_78Posted 2/2/2013 8:31:30 AM
Mass Effect 3 came out March 6.

Leviathan came out August 28.

That's why people didn't know about the Leviathans.
---
Change your name, change your eyes, become the one who I despise.
Gamertag: Nevik overkill
#6TheApd_ReturnsPosted 2/2/2013 8:45:44 AM
LilyxLightning posted...

They call the Catalyst that because the Catalyst is an extremely tacky narrative concept, not because of what it factually is in the context of the game.

Once again, the defenders prove they are a step behind...
#7MurphysGhostPosted 2/2/2013 8:46:17 AM

(1) why did everyone call the Catalyst Space Child God Witch Magic when in fact it was just a very old, powerful, intelligent AI created by a very old, powerful, intelligent race?

EC and Leviathan make this more clear, but honestly... a lot of folks aren't too good at reading between the lines.

Space Magic can also refer to the implausibility of the Synthesis ending, which I wholeheartedly agree is ludicrous.

(2) Wasn't there supposed a ton of cut scenes with what happened to the crew and everything? Even if that was just the Destroy ending (was it?) shouldn't I have seen all the ships blow up?

If you refuse to activate the Crucible, either in conversation or by just standing there, or if you shoot at the Catalyst, you get the Refusal ending. The Crucible is not activated, everyone dies, but the next cycle finds Liara's time capsule and ends up winning.

The Destroy ending is accessed by walking up the ramp to the right side of the big energy beam and shooting the circuit panel there. Control is accessed by walking up the left ramp and approaching the glowing blue interface. Synthesis, go straight down the middle and jump in the beam.

Refuse is by far the shortest. With EC installed the other three options have a number of scenes that will play, depending on your EMS.
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#8Stonedwolfed(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 9:00:47 AM(edited)
Cool. And yes, obviously Leviathan helped understanding the story.

I do still have the option to replay the final level so I'll do that just to see the endings.

I've decided to disagree The Intelligence (as the Leviathans called him) is bad narrative construction. He was very much in the vein of Legion and EDI, just that much more intelligent, older, and more powerful. At least for me.

Question though - the final greyed-out R/P conversations with the Illusive Man. Were they just for dialogue, was there something interesting I missed?
---
GT viberunner - MW2 Legend - now with added microphone technology
#9SageOfLifePosted 2/2/2013 9:00:33 AM
Stonedwolfed posted...
Cool. And yes, obviously have Leviathan helped in understanding the Catalyst as AI.

I do still have the option to replay the final level so I'll do that just to see the endings.

Question though - the final greyed-out R/P conversations with the Illusive Man. Were they just for dialogue, was there something interesting I missed?

Choosing the same moral option at every opportunity with the Illusive Man will get you the final options in the final confrontation which will lower the EMS requirements for the best endings.
---
I am the lizard queen!
#10LordTrinenPosted 2/2/2013 9:01:36 AM
1) The space magic bit is probably from all the talk about the Synthesis ending. For a lot of people describing it like that is the only way it makes sense. Also a lot of people were probably just so upset about the ending that they just stopped listening to the Catalyst, instead creating a mental image about some witch boy instead of an ancient AI.

2) In ME1 a lot of first time players make the mistake of going to Noveria first. In ME3 a lot of people seem to make the mistake of shooting the Catalyst and forcing themselves into the Refusal ending. I feel like I'm the only person who has never felt the need to vent their frustrations in this manner. Yes, I disliked the original endings too but I never pointed my gun at the Catalyst. I just pointed it at the power conduit to get the Destroy ending, obviously the choice the Catalyst did not want me to make. I blew him up and all the Reapers.

And for future reference, to get all the Charm/Intimidate options with the Illusive Man to unlock you need to have successfully used Charm/Intimidate on him in all your conversations with him throughout the game. Most require you to use some investigate option (left side of the wheel) to make them appear.