About to pick up the Mass Effect Trilogy

#1Eagles931Posted 2/4/2013 7:26:56 AM
I am excited that I am gettin this, I've been just putting it off for months but today ima finally head out and pick this up. Any tips/tricks I should know about? I know this is just the ME3 board, but it seems to be very active so I thought I'd get a pretty prompt answer fast
---
PS : SlootSlayer11
GT: SlootSlayer11
#2ToolOwnsYouPosted 2/4/2013 7:41:21 AM
Just start on Normal and enjoy the ride. :) You'll pick it up as you go.

I'd just recommend downloading the (free) Extended Cut before you beat ME3, so as to avoid the ending controversy that many of us had to endure.
---
Signature.
#3Wii0playerPosted 2/4/2013 7:48:14 AM
ME1 starts off really slow, just struggle through it untill you meet Liara, then things start to pick up.
---
"In Mass Effect 3, the path to victory is less clear at the outset. You wont just find some long-lost Reaper off button."-Casey ******* Hudson.
#4edgecrusher02Posted 2/4/2013 7:48:41 AM
obviously you should use the import feature. id recommend playing the first game with the same character twice to make sure you have high enough paragon or renegade to be able to make the choices you want. you may regret it if you dont. if you are one for DLC, id say that getting the extended cut DLC for ME3 is a must, its free anyway.
---
religion is flawed because man is flawed
#5bessy67Posted 2/4/2013 7:49:00 AM
If you want the full experience I'd recommend picking up some of the DLC's as well. Here's what I'd recommend:

ME1: Bring down the sky
ME2: Kasumi's stolen memory, Lair of the shadow broker, Arrival, and Overlord
ME3: From Ashes and Extended Cut (free). I haven't tried Omega or Leviathan yet.

If you've only got enough money for a couple of those I'd say get bring down the sky, kasumi, lair of the shadow broker, and from ashes.
---
"Immigrants. Thats all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#6LordTrinenPosted 2/4/2013 7:49:27 AM
ME1's gameplay may be a little slow/tedious but the story very much makes up for it. The combat system is overhauled and improved starting with ME2 so just stick it out.

Commander Shepard can either be good (Paragon) or evil (Renegade). It is recommended you stick with one alignment to unlock all the Charm/Intimidate dialogue options. These usually yield the best results of any given situation. Others may advise against this but I recommend you start putting points into your Charm/Intimidate talents early on to unlock dialogue options early. Paragon options are always in the upper right/left corners of the dialogue wheel. Renegade are in the lower left/right corners.

There are six different combat classes to choose from. Soldier is arguably the simplest and most durable, a good match for a first time player. I played as an Infiltrator my first time and I had fun. I wouldn't recommend Engineer or Vanguard your first time. Those classes are for more experienced players. Your level tops out at level 50 during your first playthrough. On all subsequent ones it is level 60.

While playing ME1 I highly recommend that YOU DO NOT GO TO NOVERIA FIRST!!!! Too many people make this mistake. Noveria is much harder than the other story planets. Go to Therum first to pick up Liara. Then go to Feros, Noveria, then Virmire. You get more out of the story if you take Liara with you to Noveria.

There are plenty of romance options in all three games. In ME1 male players can romance Ashley Williams, female players get Kaiden Alenko and both genders can romance Liara. I think Liara is the best romance in the trilogy. Her romance may seem a little underwhelming in ME1 but it greatly expands in ME2 and 3 whereas the Ashley/Kaiden romances fall a little short in comparison. There are also a bunch of new romance options in ME2 and 3 but those might have too many spoilers to explain now.

There are plenty of pieces of DLC I recommend you get before playing any of the games. Here are the "must-have" ones:

ME1
-Bring Down the Sky

ME2
-Zaeed: The Price of Revenge
-Kasumi: Stolen Memories
-Overlord
-Lair of the Shadow Broker (ESSENTIAL)
-Arrival (ESSENTIAL)

ME3
-From Ashes
-The Extended Cut (DO NOT PLAY WITHOUT THIS)
-Leviathan

The Omega DLC for ME3 is pretty good but a little expensive right now. And there is at least one more singleplayer DLC in the works for ME3. There are other pieces of DLC I recommend you pick up if you can, especially if they are free and/or you have the spare points.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I also visit the ME1 and 2 boards from time to time so don't be afraid to post questions there too. I know you'll enjoy the trilogy. Happy gaming!
#7ZERO2936Posted 2/4/2013 8:12:35 AM
Buy the DLC before you start. Get all of the mission packs except Pinnacle Station and Omega.
#8StonedwolfedPosted 2/4/2013 8:30:40 AM
Meh, Pinnacle Station is a good way of getting good equipment.
---
GT viberunner - MW2 Legend - now with added microphone technology
#9TheM00dPosted 2/4/2013 9:28:35 AM
Yeah, don't let the gameplay of ME1 turn you off from the game as it still has perhaps the best story in the series.
---
GT- CCCC0MB0BREAKER
#10Urdnot_RuntPosted 2/4/2013 11:24:10 AM
LordTrinen posted...

Commander Shepard can either be good (Paragon) or evil (Renegade). It is recommended you stick with one alignment to unlock all the Charm/Intimidate dialogue options. These usually yield the best results of any given situation. Others may advise against this but I recommend you start putting points into your Charm/Intimidate talents early on to unlock dialogue options early. Paragon options are always in the upper right/left corners of the dialogue wheel. Renegade are in the lower left/right corners.
!

Kind of a nitpick but paragon/renegade doesn't really mean good/evil. Shepard is a good guy either way and paragon/renegade just represent different methods.
---
You have one or more unread System Notifications. Please read them as soon as possible
^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEf5VFKplzw