About to pick up the Mass Effect Trilogy

#11LordTrinenPosted 2/4/2013 12:56:35 PM
Urdnot_Runt posted...
LordTrinen posted...

Commander Shepard can either be good (Paragon) or evil (Renegade). It is recommended you stick with one alignment to unlock all the Charm/Intimidate dialogue options. These usually yield the best results of any given situation. Others may advise against this but I recommend you start putting points into your Charm/Intimidate talents early on to unlock dialogue options early. Paragon options are always in the upper right/left corners of the dialogue wheel. Renegade are in the lower left/right corners.
!

Kind of a nitpick but paragon/renegade doesn't really mean good/evil. Shepard is a good guy either way and paragon/renegade just represent different methods.

I know it was kind of a simplistic explanation but still an effective one. Paragon Shepards try for diplomacy, resolving situations with the least loss of life. Renegade Shepards often take the most violent route or at least liberally uses the threat of violence. Even if the end result is still considered "good" people may still view the methods used as evil.

In truth that's another thing I like about the ME franchise. Even though the game tries to break decisions down into good/evil ones the truth of the matter is far more complicated.
#12StonedwolfedPosted 2/4/2013 12:57:33 PM
Yeah, Paragon is more Star Trek do-gooder and Renegade is just a bit darker, bit more violent - but only to "get the job done". Perhaps something like a Blade Runner. Willing to play dirty for the greater good.

Also, playing ME1 again for the first time in 4 years, on Hardcore, the combat isn't *that* horrible, and the start isn't bad (it's an action start, had good characters/betrayal, but still beatable).

Yes, ME2/3 is slicker but ME1 is only poor by direct comparison. Learning how to use cover is a bit twitch but its' still okay.
---
GT viberunner - MW2 Legend - now with added microphone technology