Difference between good and bad weapons?

#1Flame_Hound173Posted 2/6/2013 2:50:44 PM
This question was prompted by me opening up my third PSP, and finding a Typhoon. I was happy to get an Ultra Rare, but I don't know if it's any good or not.

I then realized that I have no idea which weapons are good or bad (though those terms are subjective. What's good for someone may be bad for someone else). I do know that all the commons and uncommons are largely useless though.
---
-"A pessimist is what an optimist calls a realist."
#2infinitexxPosted 2/6/2013 2:53:51 PM
Potential damage output.
---
Posted from my Xbox360 with 360FAQS v1.1
#3Mr_PipboyPosted 2/6/2013 2:56:02 PM
The Mantis (common), and Mattlock (uncommon) are decent and serviceable weapons.

As far as the rares and URs, I like the following:

Pistols:
Acolyte
Paladin
Arc Pistol
Talon

Sniper Rifles
Black Widow
Widow
Javelin
Valiant

Assault Riles
Prothean Particle Rifle
Harrier
Typhoon

Shotguns:
Piranha
Geth shotgun
Claymore
Wraith

SMG
Collector SMG
Hurricane
---
In case you can't tell, I was being sarcastic.
www.Omega-level.net | Salarian Sniper King
#4Spartan070Posted 2/6/2013 2:56:47 PM
Personally I love the typhoon but it's really a playstyle thing. Only a few weapons are true, unadulterated powerhouses(Harrier, Hurricane, Acolyte, etc) but even they have some downsides.
---
Gamertag: grvmnd
#5iamdanthamanPosted 2/6/2013 2:57:53 PM
Not all of the uncommons are useless. The Mattock is a great, lightweight AR, and the Phalanx is a good, lightweight sidearm if you are using a sniper or something with a low spare ammo count. The Tempest and Viper are also very good for their weights. I usually like to keep the viper on my Volus Engineer.
---
All your base are belong to us
#6DethuliPosted 2/6/2013 2:59:22 PM
Good weapons perform well on any number of classes, bad weapons perform poorly on all classes. Here is a list of good weapons, everything else is bad.

Widow
Black Widow
Javelin
Indra
Mattock
Saber
Harrier
Typhoon
Prothean Particle Rifle
Hurricane
Graal Spike Thrower
Wraith
Claymore
Pirhanna
Talon
Acolyte
Canifex
---
This is my impaling wall. It's where I put the bodies.
#7Nacht004Posted 2/6/2013 2:59:53 PM
Actually, even that presumption isn't necessarily true.

By rule of thumb most of the SMGs are very awful, save for a few. Hurricane with stability has some of the higest DPS, Geth SMG is fairly good, and Collector SMG and X is good from what I understand.

For Pistols, the best ones hands down tend to be the Carnifex, the Paladin, the Talon (which works like a single-handed shotgun), and the Acolyte for builds that want to strip shields and barriers quickly. Phalanx, an uncommon, is also incredibly good, especially starting out. The common Predator isn't awful either.

For Assault Rifles, the best is generally agreed to be the Cerberus Harrier, but great contenders are the Typhoon, the Particle Rifle, and the Mattock (an uncommon). The Avenger is a great starting weapon also, and some builds can actively use it to great ease.

For Shotguns the best are the Reegar Carbine (great against shields again), the Claymore, Get PlasmaShotgun, Wraith, and the Piranha.

Best Sniper Rifles are the Widow, Black Widow, Valiant, Collector Sniper Rifle, and the Mantis (the common) is quite good as well.

That's more or less a synopsis, there's a ton more detail I'm not mentioning but to be fair a lot of the best weapons can be build and playstyle dependant. That being said the above are generally agreed to be the upper tier of their class - though I'm sure I missed something.
---
There's really nothing to say.
GT - Pb Farmer
#8bessy67Posted 2/6/2013 3:00:12 PM
The difference between a good an bad weapon also depends on the class. The typhoon is great on the N7 destroyer but is not so great on adepts since the massive weight hinders power usage. Typically smg's and pistols are best for adepts and engineers, shotguns for vanguards, shotguns or ARs for soldiers, light shotguns, pistols or smgs for sentinels and anything for infiltrators.
---
"Immigrants. Thats all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#9code_kirinPosted 2/6/2013 3:01:58 PM
My criteria (in order)

1. Special purpose. Staggering Phantoms, Dragoons, etc.? Stripping shields with Acolyte? That stuff falls here.
2. One-shot potential. Can it kill enemies in one shot?
3. DPS. Damage Per Second.
4. Accuracy and handling. How well does its DPS translate into actual use? Does the gun have a lot of recoil (can be compensated for)? Does it have horrible accuracy (harder to compensate for)? Does it have a weird restriction that makes it difficult to use (Collector Sniper Rifle, etc.)?

Most builds have no need for 1. If you're planning on fighting Cerberus in particular though, they tend to require a special weapon to take on smoothly. AoE weapons, weapons that apply status, etc. One hit kills trump DPS on sniper rifles and such, as well as guns like the arc pistol, saber, and claymore.

When neither come into play... it's all about how much damage you can put out in a certain amount of time, and by extension how much of that DPS actually connects with enemies.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgoNSTctMEekdHIwa081S0FBVS1ZZzdWeXRnbGRDYnc&output=html&gid=8

There's a spreadsheet with all of the weapon data on it.

As for Typhoon, it is quite a good gun when used properly. Arguably the best boss-killer in the game, but its accuracy is not too great. It also requires armor piercing or weakening to be truly effective on gold and platinum. Keep in mind that some guns have charge up modifiers that alter their DPS numbers on that chart, and Typhoon is one of them.
#10bessy67Posted 2/6/2013 3:03:17 PM(edited)
Nacht004 posted...
For Pistols, the best ones hands down tend to be the Carnifex, the Paladin, the Talon (which works like a single-handed shotgun), and the Acolyte for builds that want to strip shields and barriers quickly. Phalanx, an uncommon, is also incredibly good, especially starting out. The common Predator isn't awful either.

I agree with most of your other stuff, but your pistol section seems very wrong to me. Carnifex is definitely not one of the top pistols. Acolyte, Talon, Arc Pistol and Eagle are much better. And Predator actually is pretty awful.
---
"Immigrants. Thats all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67