So much for Lovecraftian horror

#1ClunyPosted 2/6/2013 11:28:28 PM
The first game makes it pretty clear that's what they're going for and the second game it makes a blatant reference to Cthulu ("even dead gods dream"). Then they go ahead and **** on the running theme of an incomprehensible and indesructible entity with a hackneyed explanation and a cop-out plot device because they wrote themselves into a corner.

Oh well, I'm gonna stick with the ending where shepard gets killed by marauder shields and everyone is doomed.
---
"Dubstep and Skrillex sound like Optimus Prime ****ing a doorknob."
#2FearOfTheLightPosted 2/6/2013 11:45:44 PM
Beating a dead horse here. For what it's worth though, let the Marauder Shields variation remain your head-canon TC.

Stay true to it and forget what anyone else has to say about it. It's the best you can do.
---
---
"When I'm walking a dark road, I am a man who walks alone" - Iron Maiden
#3Lord of NightmaresPosted 2/7/2013 12:08:17 AM
Although the Reapers weren't the 'true' Great Old Ones in the trilogy though, as was revealed in Leviathan.
#4Offworlder1Posted 2/7/2013 12:35:41 AM
I never liked "Lovecraftian Horror" as it was just stupid in that no matter what you can never win, in stories like that it's amazing some characters don't just say "**** this" and kill themselves so they don't have to deal with the unwinnable fight.
---
"Always two there are, a master and an apprentice"
#5MalzelPosted 2/7/2013 1:29:41 AM
Offworlder1 posted...
I never liked "Lovecraftian Horror" as it was just stupid in that no matter what you can never win, in stories like that it's amazing some characters don't just say "**** this" and kill themselves so they don't have to deal with the unwinnable fight.

Note the word "horror" in that term. Coming to terms with one's insignificance and inability to determine their own fate is a class of horror.
---
It is only human to commit a sin...
#6PsyrenCallPosted 2/7/2013 1:38:38 AM
They were going for references, they weren't trying to actually make the Reapers out to be Lovecraftian horrors.
---
In fearful day, in raging night, with strong hearts full, our souls ignite! When all seems lost in the War of Light, look to the stars, for hope burns bright!
#7Offworlder1Posted 2/7/2013 12:28:22 PM
Yes I understand that and thats why I wonder why some characters don't just end it all once they see they don't matter and can't change the evil as no matter what they are screwed. Atleast going out on your own terms allows them to end everything and deny the evil/enemy the ability to kill them.
---
#8NafzgerPosted 2/7/2013 12:30:48 PM
Offworlder1 posted...
Yes I understand that and thats why I wonder why some characters don't just end it all once they see they don't matter and can't change the evil as no matter what they are screwed. Atleast going out on your own terms allows them to end everything and deny the evil/enemy the ability to kill them.

You've clearly never read a single Lovecraft story, or know anything about the mythos or that style of horror.
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
http://www.last.fm/user/Rainbow_Smasher
#9Offworlder1Posted 2/7/2013 12:35:16 PM
No I don't know much about it nor have I read one as the descriptions of them doesn't appeal from what little I know. I only recently discovered they are a class of horror and looking just at the themes they are not something I think I would enjoy.
---
#10masterswordPosted 2/7/2013 12:41:55 PM
No I don't know much about it nor have I read one as the descriptions of them doesn't appeal from what little I know. I only recently discovered they are a class of horror and looking just at the themes they are not something I think I would enjoy.

How can you say you don't like something when you've never experienced it and have little to no understanding of it beyond brief descriptions?
---
That's when you know you've found somebody special. When you can just shut the **** up for a minute and comfortably share the silence.