Engineer Mini-Guide 1: Geth Engineer

#1WatermelonFartsPosted 2/7/2013 11:47:50 AM(edited)
The Geth Engineer is a really great class that is unfortunately under appreciated due to not being one of the classes that can hit insane amounts of damage. His utility and ability to work in almost every team composition is extremely useful, however, and makes him one of the better classes in the game.

I. The Build
II. Suggested Equipment
III. Faction Match-ups
IV. Team Composition
V. Final Thoughts

I. The Build

There are a few builds out there that people like to play with on the Geth Engineer, but I'll go over what I think is the most effective build.

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#Engineer/Geth/KLLID//////

Geth Turret - flamethrower, all damage. Why? Maybe it's just me, but the flamethrower turret is too good to pass up. It seems to prime for fire explosions much more reliably than the sentry turret, and you'll be getting fire explosions all over the place with chain overload. I forego all of the shield restore options because usually my turret is in a choke point and either my team doesn't go near it, or all the enemies are dead quick enough that my team doesn't need the additional shield restore. The base shield restoration from it is good enough, and if you -really- want to use the healing turret, just play a Volus.

Hunter Mode - I guess this is really just up to you. I use the Collector SMG on my geth engineer so accuracy isn't a problem, and the CSMG doesn't put out tons of damage (and it has a low-ish clip) so I'd rather take power damage over fire rate. Rank 6 is up to you. I constantly change between speed/vision and damage for no reason.

Overload - standard stuff here. I take chain at 4 instead of 6 because the extra shield/barrier damage is too good to pass up.

Networked AI - I chose power damage and power damage just to synergize more with the power damage I get from Hunter Mode. If you prefer to use weapons more, then take weapon damage/headshots or some combination of the two.

Fitness - you really only need the first three ranks.

II. Suggested Equipment

Weapons - Talon, Acolyte, CSMG, Indra, really just any weapon that can do a fair amount of damage or apply ammo powers really well. Rapid fire weapons are great at applying ammo powers.

A note if you take the acolyte as a weapon, you can switch to chain overload on rank 6 instead of shield/barrier damage since acolyte will be stripping as opposed to overload.

Ammo Powers - Incendiary or Disruptor should always be your first choice. The Geth Engineer is great at setting off explosions because he has one of the best detonators in the game, Overload. You might think that Incendiary overlaps with the flamethrower turret so you might choose disruptor instead, but when you come up against the Reapers (the Geth Engineer's worst faction, imo) you will love the extra fire explosions you get vs. the extra tech bursts. Armor Piercing and Cryo are good choices if you don't have either of the two options.

Gear - I have a hard time picking gear for the Geth Engineer because it's not as simple as "pick warfighter because you have grenades and assault rifles." I can never pick one gear that I like the most. Honestly, any of the tech gears are good for you. Recharge speed is nice if you want to carry heavier weapons. Obviously weapon damage is good if you like to use stronger weapons. Completely player preference here.

Armor Module - I usually slap on just whatever I have available. Adrenaline is good to add on to your HM speed boost, so is Cyclonic to counteract the shield penalty if you have troubles surviving. Shield Power Cells is a great go to module, and so is Power Amplifier. Once again, completely player preference.

---
WatermelonFarts Fan Club President: SomboSteel
ask him if you want to join!!! <3
#2WatermelonFarts(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 11:48:07 AM(edited)
III. Faction Match-ups

Reapers: personally, the Geth Engineer seems to fall behind against this faction when compared to the other three. Overload doesn't help as much because of the penalty to armor damage, and only the Banshee and Marauder can receive the full force of it. The Flamethrower turret makes up for this (as does incendiary ammo) by causing constant fire explosions. Make sure you aren't wasting away your cooldowns when the Banshee puts up her hand to negate powers.

Most Dangerous Enemy: hands down, the Marauder. You can always see brutes, ravagers, and banshees (for the most part) and cannibals don't do enough damage to make the list. Husks can definitely be annoying but you should be able to drop them easily. Marauders, however, are extremely dangerous. Often times they'll attack you in packs and you'll go down (in part due to the HM shield penalty) pretty quick unless you're playing carefully. Utilize your increased vision, neural shock overload, and soft cover (cover that you don't press "A" to get into, example being just standing behind a box) to dispatch them before they can become a problem for your team.

Geth: everybody's favorite faction to complain about is completely dominated by the Geth Engineer. Overload will wreck almost any synthetic you come across and can easily blow up pyros. There isn't really any downside that the Geth Engineer faces when he comes up against this faction. You just have to play careful like any other class because you WILL get stunlocked and die if you aren't wary of Primes, Bombers, and Hunters.

Most Dangerous Enemy: This one is stuff because a lot of the enemies pose a threat. I have to give it to the Geth Prime, however, with his 3-shot stunlock cannon of death. Some would argue the Geth Bomber or Geth Hunter, but bombers are easy to fight as long as you pay attention and don't get flanked. Hunters are normally hard to see, but your Hunter Mode takes away their surprise. The best way to combat a Geth Prime would be to constantly bombard it with overload with your flamethrower turret and incendiary/disruptor ammo so you get explosions. Soft cover is extremely useful, but be careful because the cannon can still hit you if you aren't careful.

Cerberus: is a mix between the Geth and Reapers in terms of difficulty, but is still pretty easy. The only problem you may have with this class is the power negation of the Phantom, since powers are going to be your main source of eliminating enemies. The DoT from an Atlas missile can also cause a fair amount of trouble if you're already at low health/shields, and the turret around the corner can be a game-changer. Cerberus Engineers always set up their turrets in the same spots, so make sure you watch where they set them up and remember to always check before you sprint through.

Most Dangerous Enemy: It's hard to pick one not because all of the enemies are wrecking balls, but because they're all really easy to deal with. You can neural shock and fire explode dragoons, and just abuse neural shock on Centurions and anything else. Atlases are too slow to cause any sort of serious damage. Phantoms have to take the crown, though, with their power negation and sync killing. Your side-hop and extra speed should keep you from getting instant killed as well as evading the tells. Like the banshee, don't waste cooldowns when the phantom has her power bubble up.

---
#3WatermelonFarts(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 11:47:26 AM
Collectors: the faction every loves to hate and call overpowered. Surprisingly, this faction isn't that hard for the Geth Engineer as long as you are careful to avoid seeker swarms. Your neural shocks work on all of the basic infantry and Scions can be controlled with the flamethrower turret/overload and incendiary/overload combo quite effectively. Your mobility will allow you to avoid their grenade volleys quite effectively.

Most Dangerous Enemy: Seeker Swarms. No, I'm not joking. They WILL sneak up on you unless you're constantly checking the map and they always seem to break your cooldowns at the most inopportune times. Praetorians are the runner-up here for their power negation and annoying laser beams. As long as you use soft cover and dodge, their lasers won't be that much of a problem even with the AoE and going through cover. Possessed Praetorian missiles can be extremely annoying, so try to fight and get behind cover whenever you can so if they target you, the missiles will hit whatever you're hiding behind instead of you.

IV. Team Composition

The only team the Geth Engineer won't be a major contributor in is an all biotic team. Sure, they can just use throw/warp/whatever detonator they have twice, but you would be much better off picking a biotic class instead of the Geth Engineer. I don't believe there is one class that can't combo or get prime for the Geth Engineer which makes him a great damage dealer and controller, if you will. Be careful if you pick him and the rest of your team consists of squishy characters like him. For experienced players, survival isn't that much of a concern when you play low health characters because they're used to it.

V. Final Thoughts

As you can probably tell, I have a lot of love for the Geth Engineer and he is one of my go to Engineers (when I'm not playing the Vorcha, whose guide will come up next.) because he fits perfectly in almost every team composition and is only weak against the Reaper faction, which can easily be counteracted.

Well, that was my first attempt at making a mini-guide for the Geth Engineer. Criticism is welcome, because I know this won't be that great with it being my first attempt. Any questions you have will also be addressed as soon as possible, as long as they are relevant to the game.
---
#4WatermelonFarts(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 12:20:39 PM
bump
---
#5SomboSteelPosted 2/7/2013 12:35:55 PM(edited)
A lot of this stuff is pretty basic, and can be applied to almost any class.

If you have a tech power(s), try to set off tech bursts (or biotic explosions if a biotic class)

Use Overload on shielded enemies, and fire powers on armor enemies.

Seeker swarms are dangerous to any powers heavy class.

Phantoms are dangerous and can insta-kill.

Geth Primes can stunlock to death.

The UR weapons are really good and the best things to pick (Talon, CSMG, Indra) besides the Acolyte. That doesnt help anybody. What if they dont even have any of those weapons??

Besides the suggestions you give to the skill set, all of this stuff applies to nearly every other character and not just the Geth Engineer.
#6WatermelonFarts(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 12:35:36 PM
SomboSteel posted...

If you have a tech power(s), try to set off tech bursts (or biotic explosions if a biotic class)

The UR weapons are really good and the best things to pick (Talon, CSMG, Indra) besides the Acolyte. That doesnt help anybody. What if they dont even have any of those weapons??

Besides the suggestions you give to the skill set, all of this stuff applies to nearly every other character and not just the Geth Engineer.

Thanks for the bump.
---
#7Nacht004Posted 2/7/2013 12:39:22 PM
SomboSteel posted...

Most people who are reading this guide are probably using it for advice since they're unfamiliar with potential mechanics of both the character and enemy factions. It's worth the notes he made, even if it might become redundant later. I think most people who are experienced are focused primarily on the ability layout and weapon/equipment choices rather then how to play against enemies.

Good guide, I follow most of the same patterns. I find the GSMG is also pretty effective with him, a slight damage boost from the passive, fairly accurate, and super light weight.
---
There's really nothing to say.
GT - Pb Farmer
#8SomboSteelPosted 2/7/2013 12:40:18 PM
Nobody else seemed to care about this guide, so i felt bad and figured i would help you out some. You wanted criticism, so there you go.

I dont know how this is somehow better/more helpful than just giving suggested builds to specific classes. Are you just gonna copy and paste most of this stuff into the next "guide" and change the few things that would differ from character to character?

P.S. Im glad you are so consistent with your ignore list
#9WatermelonFarts(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 12:41:03 PM
It's no point replying to Sombo, as much as you may want to. All he ever does is come in a majority of the threads I've posted and try to degrade me somehow. I'm not even sure why I responded.
---
#10WatermelonFarts(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 12:41:45 PM
SomboSteel posted...
Nobody else seemed to care about this guide, so i felt bad and figured i would help you out some. You wanted criticism, so there you go.

I dont know how this is somehow better/more helpful than just giving suggested builds to specific classes. Are you just gonna copy and paste most of this stuff into the next "guide" and change the few things that would differ from character to character?

P.S. Im glad you are so consistent with your ignore list

I can't keep a blubbering child off of my ignore list forever. It's funny. You're funny.
---