Phoenix Vanguard: Bonus power on charge

#1code_kirinPosted 2/7/2013 10:24:05 PM
Anyone else do this? I spec charge for power synergy, so if I get a bonus power I can instantly get a boosted Smash off. Before trying this out I never really had a decent build for this guy, but I'm having a lot of fun with bonus power PV.
#2MalzelPosted 2/7/2013 10:28:57 PM
BP Charge is too unreliable for me. Plus whenever I do get the no-cooldown it's when want it. And alternatively I feel obligated to use the extra charge even when I don't need to.
---
It is only human to commit a sin...
#3Havoc49JPosted 2/7/2013 10:49:42 PM
Since Smash doesn't have invincibility frames I really don't see this working well. You would Charge an enemy, have half shields, and begin a long animation. I've never tried the bonus power personally, but I did experiment with a melee build which has a similar wind up speed. I could never get enough survivability, and that was with 100% shield return and not relying on a 33% cooldown negation.
#4code_kirin(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 10:51:58 PM
I do use the extra charge if I'm in a firefight. Charge only ragdolls one enemy per charge, so it works wonders for scattering them up and abusing invincibility frames.

I think BP shows its true worth when you're using it as means of travel and you get a free Smash to use as soon as you arrive. Charge and Smash sharing cooldowns always bugged me about this kit.
#5code_kirin(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 10:59:49 PM
Havoc49J posted...
Since Smash doesn't have invincibility frames I really don't see this working well. You would Charge an enemy, have half shields, and begin a long animation. I've never tried the bonus power personally, but I did experiment with a melee build which has a similar wind up speed. I could never get enough survivability, and that was with 100% shield return and not relying on a 33% cooldown negation.

Ideally you would only follow up with Smash of you've charged into a good situation, like near a wall you can Smash through or in front of two enemies tops. I've used the melee build myself, but it just felt too weak. Even with full amps and shotgun omniblade it couldn't one-shot stuff that it needed to to be viable. Right now I just work in the heavy melee after a Smash (smash cancel). Works wonders against shielded enemies, since Smash deshields and the heavy melee knocks them on the ground.

If you don't get the bonus power you are somewhat squishier than usual, but if you already have full shields you won't notice the drop.
#6Havoc49JPosted 2/7/2013 11:01:32 PM
code_kirin posted...
Charge and Smash sharing cooldowns always bugged me about this kit.

I second this. Every vanguard we've seen shows us that any ability that competes for cooldown with Charge simply isn't viable.

Krogan skips Carnage, uses Barrier
Slayer skips Biotic Slash, uses Phase Disruptor
Asari skips or puts 3 in Stasis, uses Lift Grenades
Drell skips pull, uses Cluster Grenades
Human skips Shockwave, uses Nova
Brawler skips Lash, uses Blade Armor

The ex-Cerberus is the only one with two powers that directly compete with Charge.
#78bitPunkPosted 2/7/2013 11:16:44 PM
code_kirin posted...
I spec charge for power synergy...

I'll take consistency over RNG. I have bad experience from the store and would hate to carry that over to the actual gameplay.
---
Xbox 360 GT: o 8bitPunk o
#8SomboSteelPosted 2/8/2013 12:02:48 AM
Havoc49J posted...
code_kirin posted...

I second this. Every vanguard we've seen shows us that any ability that competes for cooldown with Charge simply isn't viable.

The ex-Cerberus is the only one with two powers that directly compete with Charge.

This
#9code_kirin(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 12:34:44 AM
Havoc49J posted...
code_kirin posted...

I wouldn't say sharing cooldown with charge makes it non-viable. It's just that every other vanguard doesn't have to make the decision. BP on charge is a way to circumvent the cooldown issue on Phoenix. I've done several gold matches with it so far, and I feel it's fairly viable. Charge, no BP? Shoot stuff. Charge, BP? Smash stuff.
#10delta___38Posted 2/8/2013 12:56:09 AM
Havoc49J posted...
code_kirin posted...

Oh God, this. It would've been fine if Smash was powerful enough, but at the moment, it doesn't dish out enough damage to be worth the risk.
---
PSN: delta38
You've got my flacid multiplied by two...