Been playing for 2 weeks and still not sure I understand what an "explosion" is

#1BlamatPosted 2/8/2013 4:11:42 PM
Worst part is I've played through the series a bunch of times, and on the higher difficulties. I've been playing a lot of multiplayer lately too. What exactly is a tech explosion or biotic explosion? Was this a thing on ME2? Its just like, if an enemy is say, on fire, and someone hits him with overload, it does a bunch more damage or something like that, right? Because from the way it comes into discussion over classes it seems like a lot more complicated than I am making it. Actually in general it seems like people get a little too over complicated about "class builds", except for a few basic characters, pretty much any character and build that I've tried so far seems viable. Or maybe I'm just lucky that the 3 most advanced classes I have are Krogan Vanguard, Geth Engineer, and Asari Justicar and its skewing my views on the difficulty of this game
---
Read Berserk
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4628/berserk1fc8.jpg
#2DividerByZeroPosted 2/8/2013 4:22:09 PM
It's pretty simple.

There are certain powers that can "prime" an explosion. Warp is a good example of a biotic "primer." Once an enemy is primed, you can use a "detonator" power to cause a biotic explosion. Warp is an example of both a primer and a detonator.

Example. You're playing as a base human Adept. You hit an enemy with Warp. They're now primed. You can then hit them with a Shockwave to cause an explosion.

The easiest way to find the combinations needed is to experiment with the characters you have. Many characters can make their own explosions as their source of damage.
---
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/blueice/TG%20Divider.jpg
#3GoldenSWarriorsPosted 2/8/2013 4:22:36 PM
There are biotic explosions, tech bursts, fire explosions, and cryo explosions.

Biotic explosions are the strongest, and happen when you use a biotic power to prime a target, such as warp/reave/dark channel/etc, and then use a different biotic power that has the ability to detonate. I'm sure you could find a list somewhere on which biotics prime, which detonate, and which do both.

Tech bursts happen when you use a tech move to prime a target. They are the weakest explosions, and are not very noticeable when they happen. You don't need a tech power to detonate them though. Disruptor rounds also prime targets.

Fire explosions are strong, and are even better against armor. You need any kind of fire move, like carnage, incinerate, or flamer to prime, or incendiary rounds. These can be detonated by any detonating power too.

Cryo explosions are made from freezing moves or cryo ammo. They only occur when the target is frozen, not chilled, and then you detonate it. So the target has to have health. There is a glitch with the Paladin's snap freeze, however, where you can detonate cryo explosions on chilled targets, not just frozen ones. I believe they are also a lot stronger with snap freeze than they should be.
---
GT: F3rocious Panda
#4LilyxLightningPosted 2/8/2013 4:25:41 PM
Power combos create a damaging blast that can damage multiple enemies. The power of a power combo is based on the level of the powers used to set up and detonate the combo (power damage bonuses do not affect the damage of the explosion). With the exception of Cryo Explosions, each power combo also inflicts extra damage against certain types of protections.

For more info on power combos, as well as what powers prime and detonate each type of combo, read this page of the Mass Effect Wikia: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Combo
---
Lightning. It flashes bright, then fades away. It can't protect. It only destroys.
#5AarksharkPosted 2/8/2013 4:26:53 PM
Some powers are "Primers".
Some powers are "Detonators".

Biotic "Primers" will cause an explosion when hit with Biotic "Detonators".
Tech "Primers" will cause an explosion whet hit with Tech OR Biotic "Detonators".

There are 3 types of Tech Explosions, Electrical (Called Tech Burst in game), Fire and Cryo.
The type of explosion caused is completely dependent on the Primer.

So if you hit someone with Throw and then Warp them, you'll create a Biotic Explosion.

Likewise, if you hit someone with Incinerate and then Overload them, you'll create a Fire Explosion.

For a better description;
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Combos
---
Gamertag/PSN ID/Steam: Navllyk
Common sense is actually ultra rare and must be bought from premium spectre packs to have a chance of obtaining it. -Cicero.me-
#6Talon5967Posted 2/8/2013 5:14:46 PM
First, explosions did exist in ME2, but I'm pretty sure it was only biotic explosions, and there were very specific requirements. You had to hit an enemy with Warp while they were under the effects of a biotic power with a duration. That means Pull, Slam, and maybe Reave.

ME3 has a much wider range of powers that create explosions. When you trigger an explosion, it doesn't just damage your target, it also damages any enemies that are nearby. It basically turns the target into a bomb, and allows you to damage multiple enemies with a single attack.

They also create a visible blast. Tech bursts are the hardest to see. The blast visual is small, and doesn't look much different from Overload and Energy Drain (which are the most common detonators). Cryo bursts have sprays of white coming from the target. Fire explosions have flames spraying out from the target. And biotic explosions create a purple sphere around the target. The visual effects are only there for a moment, so it's easy to miss.

The various build "discussions" revolve around maximizing the effectiveness of a given character. You didn't say what difficulty level you play on, but in bronze and silver, you can pretty much use anything you want (I use silver for testing new characters, weapons, and builds, and I'm average at best). But on gold, and especially platinum (I'm assuming, since I don't play it myself), you need to use your chosen character in the most effective and efficient manner possible to be able to contribute.
---
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that know binary, and those that don't.
GT:Talon Omega. If you send an FR please tell me where you got my GT.
#7KADFCPosted 2/8/2013 5:19:25 PM
I'm curious about this too, so I'll post my question here. This is in regards to get that challenge out of the way. Just asking if this is ideal

Restart my engineer.
Get all the skills that will reduce my charge time for Incinerate and Overlord
Equip no weapons whatsoever
Get into Bronze/Silver and spam Incinerate/Overlord following each other

Will this work in order to get the explosion/burst challenge?
#8GoldenSWarriorsPosted 2/8/2013 5:37:15 PM
KADFC posted...
I'm curious about this too, so I'll post my question here. This is in regards to get that challenge out of the way. Just asking if this is ideal

Restart my engineer.

You have to have a weapon equipped, but yeah.
---
GT: F3rocious Panda
#9Talon5967Posted 2/8/2013 5:45:03 PM
KADFC posted...

Restart my engineer.

I suppose it would work, but is unnecessary, and will also be terribly time-consuming (and probably boring). There are actually three parts to Tech Explosions, numbered 1 to 3. You'll complete 1 after doing 50 tech explosions, 2 at 250, and 3 after 500 explosions (explosions for each counts towards the others).

The challenges generally take a considerable period of time to complete. For the most part, you can get them through regular play, while using something that pertains to one of the challenges. I'd recommend against trying to do multiple challenges at one time. I was playing with a friend of mine while he was attempting that, and it didn't work out very well for any of us.

http://social.bioware.com/user_home.php

This is Bioware's website, and where you can go to check challenges and your manifest (everything you've unlocked). After logging in, you need to click the "ME3 N7HQ" tab, and then click the window above. This will take you to your manifest.

http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/?name=Talon%20Omega&platform=xbox

This is the window you should see after clicking the tab. It will show you your stats that are actually recorded, your challenge progress, characters builds, inventory, and so on.
---
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that know binary, and those that don't.
GT:Talon Omega. If you send an FR please tell me where you got my GT.
#10Orange_ApplesPosted 2/8/2013 9:15:58 PM
Biotic explosions are double effective against barriers and armor.
Tech bursts are double effective against shields.
Fire explosions are double effective against armor.
Cryo explosions are double effective against shields.

No one power combo is strongest. Some are just more useful depending on what you are fighting.
Reapers/collectors biotic explosions are more preferred.
Cerberus/geth tech explosions are more preferred.

However it seems only biotic combos have boosts for how much damage they do. Warp->Shockwave I think is the most powerful combo.

Incinerate at rank 6 and overload at rank 6 will result in a rank 12 fire explosion (or a rank 12 tech burst if done the other way around).

Ammo mods count as rank 1. So incendiary ammo and a rank 6 incinerate will result in a rank 7 fire explosion.

No tech powers detonate biotic combos but many biotic powers can detonate tech powers (shockwave, warp, biotic charge).

Combos are also more powerful the higher the ranks of the powers as well as higher difficulty.

Explosions on bronze: 1x
Silver: 2x
Gold: 3x
Platinum: 4x
---
Sent from my iPod touch via PowerGuides 1.10