What makes rapid-fire weapons "good" against shields?

#1DEV1ANTGAMERPosted 2/9/2013 1:18:55 AM
I've hard multiple times from numerous people that rapid fire weapons are "good" against shields. Does anyone know the exact reason WHY. Do SMGs have some hidden damage modifier in ME3 (I know they did in the other games but I see no indication in this one) or does it cost energy shields a certain amount of energy to activate from any bullet hit whatsoever (thus causing rapid fire weapons to activate this cost alot?)?

Somebody please clear things up for me... or confirm for me that weapon type doesn't matter at all regardless of what you're damaging (with some obvious exceptions like the Acolyte).
#2XgArrancarPosted 2/9/2013 1:21:46 AM
Nope, SMGs used to have a damage modifier in ME2 but now they have been relegated to crap sidearms bar 2 of them.
---
"Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?"
#3MalzelPosted 2/9/2013 1:54:28 AM
If anything, it's not that they're good against shields, it's that they're bad against armor.
---
It is only human to commit a sin...
#4GoldenSWarriorsPosted 2/9/2013 1:57:21 AM
collector SMG gets a 1.5x bonus to armor
---
GT: F3rocious Panda
#5abyssPosted 2/9/2013 1:57:33 AM
Carry over from ME2, I imagine. Damage modifiers against defenses is now a per weapon thing, not based on weapon class.
#6DEV1ANTGAMER(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 2:03:05 AM(edited)
Armor I understand because it chops a set amount of damage off each bullet. (50 on gold). So if you have a gun that shoots 5 times at 100 damage each bullet you do 250 in the end versus a gun that does 1 shot at 500 damage and does 450 overall.

I was wondering if shields worked the opposite, that each bullet to hit did a set amount of damage on top of it's regular, giving rapid-fire weapons the advantage. But if they don't then I really don't see the point to using rapid fire weapons at all except when they're completely ridiculously outdamaging of everything else like the Harrier is. Then again I guess the Harrier, Hurricane, and Piranha are the only rapid-fire weapons I see above Silver anyway. The rest all seem pretty crappy, especially compared to the likes of the Javelin or Black Widow... or even just a class that can set off alot of Biosplosions or Tech Bursts.
#7perfect_generalPosted 2/9/2013 2:19:22 AM
Shield gate is less of an issue with rapid fire weapons.
---
"He who laughs last, doesn't get the joke"
#8MegaTape13Posted 2/9/2013 2:28:47 AM
I assume it's more of an abstract point, as shield gating is a non-issue for rapid fire weapons and they can easily prime frequent tech bursts.

Or it's just total nonsense...
---
Oh the movie never ends...
GT: IHOP 13
#9AllDay524Posted 2/9/2013 3:08:59 AM(edited)
Shield gate is less of an issue with rapid fire weapons.

This, well especially before the patch that let us bypass shield gate with enough damage.
---
'I was looking up Pokemon Hentai today and it was full of Gardevoirs and Pikachus. I'm like what the hell is this? Wheres all the May and Dawn pics?' LittleUnit
#10bloodgod92Posted 2/9/2013 3:10:00 AM
I was under the impression that they were good against shields/barriers because the rate of fire keeps the shield from regeneration in between shots. Though I would think the only time your weapon would not be sufficient is if you were using a single shot slow reload gun...
---
Gamer Tag - Aldora92
Currently Playing - Mass Effect 3 MP