Idea For New Mass Effect

#1inZainAssassinPosted 2/10/2013 8:40:19 PM
So I don't know if this has ever been said before, but I think that a new game would be great if we got to choose which race we wanted to play as through the story like other RPGs. I don't have an idea of what the story could consist of but I'm sure the writers could think of some interesting stuff. I myself would love to play as a Drell, Salarian, or Turian that I could customize and stuff.
---
Music can change the world.
#2bessy67Posted 2/10/2013 8:45:20 PM
I'm probably in the minority in my opinion, but I actually want less character customization. A character with a set race/name/background can integrate more deeply in the narrative.
---
"Immigrants. Thats all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#3DividerByZeroPosted 2/10/2013 8:45:51 PM
That could work, but if you want to be able to edit your history/psyche, you would have to edit the choices for each races to fit their lore.

Also, I wanna be a Volus, and in the ending cutscene, you still don't get a spot on the Council, but every other race you helped does.
---
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/blueice/TG%20Divider.jpg
#4ArkhamEscapeePosted 2/10/2013 8:53:22 PM
DividerByZero posted...
Also, I wanna be a Volus, and in the ending cutscene, you still don't get a spot on the Council, but every other race you helped does.

I did not know until this moment how much I wanted this to be a thing.
---
PSN Agnol117
http://agnolsfiction.tumblr.com/ <-- My fiction blog
#5DividerByZeroPosted 2/10/2013 9:00:19 PM
ArkhamEscapee posted...
DividerByZero posted...

I did not know until this moment how much I wanted this to be a thing.

See? I should work at Bioware.
---
http://www.dividerscorner.blogspot.com/ - Newest Review: Borderlands 2
GT: TG Divider | NP: Mass Effect 3, Call of Duty 4, Rock Band 3
#6xKryptonKnightxPosted 2/10/2013 9:20:13 PM
bessy67 posted...
I'm probably in the minority in my opinion, but I actually want less character customization. A character with a set race/name/background can integrate more deeply in the narrative.

Thats something I liked about Dragon Age 2.
---
Beware the fury of a patient man.
GT: xMarvel Knightx
#7BeefstakPosted 2/10/2013 9:32:01 PM
I would love to play as another race, but as ME2 went out of its way to say any race besides human would have less customization options as human are the most differing species in the galaxy or something. That is why they are the best one to use for experiments.

I am hoping the next game is set in a previous cycle we would have all new races to pick from., because how do you make a sequel to what shepard finished without ignoring player choice?,
#8KrudmuffinsPosted 2/11/2013 12:45:41 AM
The best idea for a New Mass Effect: Bioware makes a new series that is just as new, creative, intelligent, deep and exciting as ME1 was....
...oh, that's not an option?

I guess the whole "choose race" thing would be cool, I really liked playing as other races in multiplayer mode. However, the implications of this on the story would be VERY difficult to deal with for the writers. Example: In the ME games thus far, we have always had the crutch of being a human, and how that specifically made shepard special as s/he fought to either made humanity a model race in the council, or the most powerful race in the council.

If you're dealing with a malleable species, they can no longer use politics, racism/classism, discovery, 'unification of society / fragility of society' as main thematic points... which are some of the things that made the ME story and world great. The only way they could work these central themes back into it is if you (the random species) works as a frontier explorer, finding new societies and races across the galaxy (and either bringing them into the council, or destroying them). And if they're going to do that, why not just make a new series anyway?

As an example, the games have difficulty dealing with 'sexism' as an intimate and personal theme to confront the player with because the player has the freedom to pick Shepard's gender. Interestingly they did manage to nicely work 'sexuality and freedom-of-sexuality' into the games [specifically ME1. ME2 was playing it pretty safe and ME3 basically slapped you in the face with it] as pretty prominent themes, which was fantastic.

Basically freedom like choosing race locks the game into 'adventure game' or '-completely- new story.' Both of which could be satisfied as nicely by a new Bioware IP.
---
I dislike my username.
#9ZProtestTheHeroPosted 2/11/2013 2:10:03 AM
Multiple Origin storys that all converge into the main save the galaxy stuff (beacuse you know thats whats gonna be going on)

This would allow you to pick your race but still have a similar story (see DA:O)
This could open to Co-Op story too.

I think it would be simple enough, your character could easily go by a nickname because he/she wouldnt be as famous as Shep, so Pick a nickname, play out your origin story and boom
#10JediWatchmenPosted 2/11/2013 11:25:36 AM
i think racism and politics would be easier in a game with many playable races as you would not being dealing with some galactic threat if they are smart.
---
The Blackest Night falls from the skies.The darkness grows as all light dies.We crave your hearts and your demise. By my black hand...The dead shall rise!