Ideas for the next Mass Effect

#1allsomePosted 2/12/2013 9:15:01 AM
With a new Mass Effect in the works, I wanted to see what everyone here would like to see in the next game. Not knowing whether or not the next game is a prequel or sequel can be a problem when making these ideas, as they may conflict with events in the old games and events in the new game.

Here are some of my ideas.

The ability to choose what race you want to be would be very nice. I love turians and quarians, and it would be sweet if you could play as a geth like Legion. Since we don't know what the plot is, and since we DO know that Shepard is not in the game, it is not entirely impossible to see this feature added in the next game.

I prefer the way ME 2 and 3 "played" more than ME1. It was much faster paced and more action packed, and a lot less laggy. It should remain the way it is now.

The ability to choose your voice would be nice, not necessary, but nice. For each race, they could have multiple voices for your character.

Assuming you can choose your race, the game would begin differently for each race, but all lead up to the same thing at the end of the tutorial. For quarians, it might start with your quarian on his/her Pilgrimage. You complete the Pilgrimage and return back to the Migrant Fleet, ending the tutorial. Or for krogan, you could be destroying a rival clan on Tuchanka, then return home, ending the tutorial. It would be nice to see something like this.

The ability to select what ship you have in the game would be cool. I like the Normandy, but if you can choose your race, you most likely won't be using a ship made by the Alliance or Cerberus if you are not a human. Or, if you can't choose your ship but you can choose your race, each race has a different ship assigned to it for the player.

There needs to be more... conversation with squadmates. I hated how in ME2, Garrus had infinite calibrations to do. I love Garrus as a character, and I love talking to my squad and hearing everything they have to say. There should be more conversations.

The new game should be longer, seeing as how it will be on next-gen consoles. I love Mass Effect, and I hate when I the games end. I want them to last longer so I can enjoy them for longer.

IF you can choose your race, every class (Soldier, Adept, ect.) should be available for each race. You can have an asari Engineer or a quarian Adept. This would be awesome.

These are all of my ideas I have come up with for now. What do you guys think? What would you like to see?
---
"Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls, and ask the ghosts if honor matters. The silence is your answer." - Javik
#2Aurion819Posted 2/12/2013 6:48:38 PM
I would like the possibility of picking your own race as well, but the problem is the sheer amount of voice acting required if you want every race to sound and talk differently. Assuming the options are human, asari, turian, krogan, salarian, quarian, drell, batarians and geth, that's 16 different voices for both genders (asari are monogender and geth don't have gender, so one each). If for some reason they throw in volus, hanar, elcor, and vorcha, that's another 8 voices. What the heck, throw in Protheans for another two.

A total of 26 different voices and dialects. If you give even two options for each character, that doubles to 52. With an entire game's worth of dialogue, in a series that prides itself on choices, that would take way too much space, even on a next-gen console. Unless I underestimate the power of BluRay, they'd have to use something other than a disc to hold the game.

That being said, I would LOVE the ability to pick the main character's race. However, I feel like there'd have to be some restrictions to the classes each race gets, at least by the lore. For example, quarian biotics wouldn't really make sense, unless they've ditched the suits.

I always thought that a sequel game would take place in a more unified galaxy, so your character could have the same basic background no matter their race. The different backgrounds/tutorials would be neat, but the way you described it, it would be hard to then channel every possible race into the same storyline.

One of the weird ideas that I came up with (and for some reason fell in love with) was the ability to choose your squadmates' classes. The core of their character would stay the same, but each character (most being different races) would get their own unique spin on each class, more so than we see in ME3's multiplayer.

TL;DR You got some interesting ideas, TC, but your hopes might be too high. We'll just have to see how powerful the next gen will be.
---
"When you open your mind to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth."
#3BeefstakPosted 2/12/2013 6:58:47 PM
I am probably in the minority here, but I hope it is set in a cycle before the one in the current trilogy. Not necessarily a prequel and no need to involve reapers at all, but that would open up the world to new races/classes and a whole different conflict. that would be entirely seperate from the original trilogy. I don't want cheesy references to Matriarch Liara who was with the Shepard when the crucible was deployed. Or Grunt the krogan who single handed fathered the new generation of Clan Urdnot.

Incorporating player choices from the orignal would be impossible and that would be distracting if they used some kind of official cannon decisions, especially since they seem to like to make Shepard a complete moron if you don't make the decisions yourself.

Different voices, or at least tones i.e DA:O would also be great, picking squatmate classes also great. ME2 and # definently faster paced gameplay wise but ME1 is my favorite in the series but not sure the combat is the reason for that.
#4allsome(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 8:29:09 AM
Beefstak posted...
I am probably in the minority here, but I hope it is set in a cycle before the one in the current trilogy. Not necessarily a prequel and no need to involve reapers at all, but that would open up the world to new races/classes and a whole different conflict. that would be entirely seperate from the original trilogy. I don't want cheesy references to Matriarch Liara who was with the Shepard when the crucible was deployed. Or Grunt the krogan who single handed fathered the new generation of Clan Urdnot.

Incorporating player choices from the orignal would be impossible and that would be distracting if they used some kind of official cannon decisions, especially since they seem to like to make Shepard a complete moron if you don't make the decisions yourself.

Different voices, or at least tones i.e DA:O would also be great, picking squatmate classes also great. ME2 and # definently faster paced gameplay wise but ME1 is my favorite in the series but not sure the combat is the reason for that.

I would definitely love to see the next game set in a past cycle, maybe during the Protheans, or even before, which would allow way more different races, like ones we know of only from descriptions of planets.

If it is set during the Prothean Empire, the equivalent of geth could be the Zha'Til. The point could be to stop the Zha'Til.

In the first game, the Zhatil are rising up, the second game involves the Zha'Til killing off the Zha, and the third game is about destroying the Zha'Til for good. Just an idea.

However, if it were set in an earlier cycle, with people living on the Citadel, I don't know what the main point of the new game(s) would be if it doesn't involve the Reapers. The thing is, if it was set in an earlier cycle, the Reaper invasion would be totally different. I would like to see exactly how the Prothean Empire fell to the Reapers through their eyes.

A different cycle would be awesome, but what would the new objective be of the next game or trilogy?
---
"Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls, and ask the ghosts if honor matters. The silence is your answer." - Javik
#5Carribean_CoolPosted 2/13/2013 8:30:15 AM
I just want a new spin off that doesn't relate to the trilogy at all. No reapers, have another enemy.
---
Snitsky's Condoms. If she get's pregnant, it's not your fault.
#6edgecrusher02Posted 2/13/2013 8:40:36 AM
as much as i would like a sequel in which my choices could at least be referenced even if in a very minor way, i just dont see how thats possible without either negating the final choice of the original trilogy or canonizing one of the endings. considering that i would be ok with non-traditional prequels(there are plenty of wars to make games out of), origin stories, or something that happens along side the current trilogy but that takes place before the finale. only problem is, the majority of anything prequel based would have us playing a non human character, something i think the majority of the fan base would not be a fan of.
---
religion is flawed because man is flawed
#7BeefstakPosted 2/13/2013 11:39:16 AM
It sounds like the *spoilers?* the Protheans werre bad guys to me, so maybe you could play as one of the other races that live under the protheans thumb, or whose civilization was deleted by them and your goal is vengence.

Instead of trying to stop the reapers you are trying to help them wipe out the Protheans. Sabatoging beacons that would lead others to their cryo pods, destorying becons that didn't deal with helping the next cycle,

I don't know I am not a story teller but I would love to kick some smug prothean 4 eyed arse. I can't be the only one who thinks Javik is a jerk.

Also even farther back and making everything new to bring back the feeling of discovery from ME1 would be cool. Just don't take us back to play as the guy who starts the whole reaper thing, please! Reapers are bad and I don't want to empathasize with them.