Considering Volus Engineer- any hints?

#1ModestPenguinPosted 2/14/2013 9:33:34 AM
I know the build I'm going for, 6/6/6/5/3 with proxy and recon mines set for debuff.

But other than that, do any of you know some ways to play a better volus engineer? Weapons, mods, boosts, that sort of thing.

I can generally clear Silver decently enough, but I seem to keep dying a lot even when I use Shield Boost near-constantly. What might I be doing wrong, and how can I correct it?
---
Gak Gak Gak
#2infinitexxPosted 2/14/2013 9:36:59 AM(edited)
If you're set on 3 fitness, I'd give up the 6th rank of Proxy before the weapon damage in his passive.

edit: Shield Boost doesn't mean you can just charge enemies, you need to stick to cover, even if you can't enter it properly.
---
Posted from my Xbox360 with 360FAQS v1.1
#3ModestPenguin(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 9:40:33 AM
infinitexx posted...
If you're set on 3 fitness, I'd give up the 6th rank of Proxy before the weapon damage in his passive.

edit: Shield Boost doesn't mean you can just charge enemies, you need to stick to cover, even if you can't enter it properly.

Oops, I meant to have 5 in Prox and put it in Fitness, my bad. I try to stay at a distance from enemies and remain in cover, but I always seem to get shot no matter where I am.

I wonder if there's a list of the best places to hide as a volus... If not, I should make one.
---
Gak Gak Gak
#4sheepman23Posted 2/14/2013 9:45:43 AM(edited)
I prefer to drop the sixth point of Proxy Mine for a sixth point of the passive class. With both Weapon Damage evolutions, he's dealing 22.5% more weapon damage; since his powers are more for debuffing, you won't need the damage evolutions so much.

For weapons, I would go with something that's powerful. Since you can possibly get 45% debuff through Recon and Proxy Mine, it becomes incredibly easy to tear through enemies. If you want a light weapon so that you don't have to sacrifice cooldowns, try the Talon, Eagle, Wraith, Hurricane, or Mattock.

I have a hard time finding a good gear for him since power damage isn't really a necessity, and neither are things like the Stronghold Package since he has Shield Boost. I usually end up going with a weapon amp gear depending on what weapon type I'm using.

Incendiary Rounds can be really useful since you can detonate fire explosions with Proxy Mine.
---
XBL GT - Sheepman2342
#5sir_fredingtonPosted 2/14/2013 10:00:45 AM(edited)
I prefer a 5/6/6/5/4 build (with 5 in proximity mine). upgrading fitness to 4 helps you survive things like an atlas rocket without having to use shield boost.

I've had great success equipping him with a scorpion and using him as a guerrilla fighter:

1. Melee cloak
2. Shoot your mines
3. Melee cloak
4. Run away
5. Repeat

Obviously, he's great at debuffing enemies so stick close to a teammate who's playing a class with high damage output (i.e. geth or turian infiltrator).

The scorpion is a great weapon for abusing ammo effects. It can apply the ammo power on contact, then detonate it when it explodes. After you learn to aim it at their feet it's great fun. Combined with your other mine powers, it can be a devastating combo.
#6gunholePosted 2/14/2013 9:50:07 AM
are you using your melee at all...?

that helps you stay alive, since some cover doesn't work so well for him....
---
*gamertag
#7sheepman23Posted 2/14/2013 9:55:30 AM
sir_fredington posted...
I've had great success equipping him with a scorpion and using him as a guerrilla fighter:

Interesting - I've used the Scorpion before on my Volus Mercenary, but never with the Engineer. I might have to try that sometime.
---
XBL GT - Sheepman2342
#8ModestPenguin(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 9:57:54 AM
sir_fredington posted...
I prefer a 5/6/6/5/4 build (with 5 in proximity mine). upgrading fitness to 4 helps you survive things like an atlas rocket without having to use shield boost.

1. Melee cloak
2. Shoot your mines
3. Melee cloak
4. Run away
5. Repeat

Obviously, he's great at debuffing enemies so stick close to a teammate who's playing a class with high damage output (i.e. geth or turian infiltrator).

The scorpion is a great weapon for abusing ammo effects. It can apply the ammo power on contact, then detonate it when it explodes. After you learn to aim it at their feet it's great fun.

This looks good, I'll try it.
---
Gak Gak Gak
#9Hui_TianPosted 2/14/2013 10:03:51 AM
gunhole posted...
are you using your melee at all...?

that helps you stay alive, since some cover doesn't work so well for him....

pretty much this... Cloak before you turn around any corner where you know someone is... and run over to a safe place before you start shooting... cloak before reviving.. cloak the moment you realize that you're alone in a room.. CLOAK!

and Heavy Melee for the shield Barrier if you see a rocket heading your way... Anytime a Dragoon sneaks up on your.. Barrier up to knock him back when he goes for a melee... then uncloak and either run or start shooting him or shield-boost. DO not try to use the barrier if you're in the middle of getting hit by a Prime's stun-cannon, most of the time you'll get hit again before you manage to get your shields back up. Better to try rolling out of the way.

as for stats, I really haven't noticed the slight difference of 3 in his fitness, and I usually ignore it completely. As long as you're not stunlocked, a well placed Shield Barrier works better and a measilly 100 or whatever shield/health boosts that you get from raising a passive to rank 3. at the same time, Proximity Mine isn't going to be your damage dealer, so if you're insistent about it, yeah, take the point from Rank 6 of Proxi Mine, otherwise don't bother with Fitness at all
#10ModestPenguin(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 10:17:56 AM
So what exactly does the Volus' cloak do?

Is it the same as an Infiltrator's, or is there some subtle difference?
---
Gak Gak Gak