Considering Volus Engineer- any hints?

#21lethalscottdouglasPosted 2/14/2013 8:36:30 PM
There's two types of Volus Engineers. The Volus engineer who recon mines spawn points, debuffs bosses, gets lots of weapon kills all the while shield boosting himself and his allies at critical times. And there's the Volus engineer who sits around shield boosting without using his other powers and barely even firing his gun. Don't be the second type.

Far more than any loadout or build, the hardest part about learning how to be a good Volus is situational awareness. The Volus have huge potential - they aren't just shield pylons. Unfortunately, this potential is wasted on most players.
#22sheepman23Posted 2/14/2013 8:45:51 PM
lethalscottdouglas posted...
There's two types of Volus Engineers. The Volus engineer who recon mines spawn points, debuffs bosses, gets lots of weapon kills all the while shield boosting himself and his allies at critical times. And there's the Volus engineer who sits around shield boosting without using his other powers and barely even firing his gun. Don't be the second type.

Far more than any loadout or build, the hardest part about learning how to be a good Volus is situational awareness. The Volus have huge potential - they aren't just shield pylons. Unfortunately, this potential is wasted on most players.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

On the opposite side, there's the Volus Engineer that does nothing but spam Recon Mine the entire match. Don't be that guy either, because it's horribly inefficient - drop the mine in a high-traffic area, and let the debuff work its magic.
---
XBL GT - Sheepman2342
#23DXLR8RPosted 2/14/2013 9:50:10 PM
sheepman23 posted...
DXLR8R posted...
Why even bother putting the three points into Fitness? Go 6/6/6/6/0 like I did since the day it came out, and carried many, many friends and random teammates to victory on Platinum.

On Gold and above, the DOT of an Atlas missile can kill a Volus with 500 shields before they even have a chance to Shield Boost - this includes the 50% DR from Rank 6 Protection. You need atleast three ranks to negate this.

Proxy Mine really only needs five ranks to be amazing. Sure, the recharge speed from Rank 6 can be nice, but in my experience an extra chunk of shields is more useful.

Fair enough, point well made - I do treat my Volus as if he were a marshmellow though, it's not even funny not being able to take two hits when everyone else on the team relies on me.
---
/\/ / /\/_/ /\ G A I D E N II - ||=|| /-\ |_ {{3}} all I need - also known as Skilotonn at TeamXbox
#24ModestPenguin(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 12:34:54 AM
I just tried out the new "cloak whenever possible and debuff EVERYTHING" strategy. Ihave to say, the "Slow" evolution on rank 5 of of Prox is more useful than I expected, kept me from dying quite a few times. I know most people say to take the damage buff, but I think the buff from Recon mine serves well enough on that task.

Worked really well though, only got killed once or twice, and the team was always close by to help with that.
---
Gak Gak Gak