How do you decide who to bring with you on missions?

#1roo10158Posted 2/14/2013 9:53:03 PM
Do you go in some order, do you do it purely strategically, completely random, or stick to a certain two? Or some other method?

For me, I always use one of the following methods (I use one, then another, then another until I reach the end of the game):

(I'm referring to the squad selection list when you start a mission and get to pick your team):
1. from left to right (mission A is the 1st and 2nd from left, mission B is 3rd and 4th from left, etc.)

2. from right to left (same as 1, but from right)

3. from the outside inwards (mission A is two on outside, mission B is the two a little closer in, etc until I reach the two on the inside)

4. from the inside outwards (same as 3, but in reverse)
---
My systems: Genesis/32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, GG, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, Xbox360, PS1, PS2, PS3, GBC, DS Lite, DSi XL, 3DS, PS VITA
#2Zegma310Posted 2/14/2013 10:05:25 PM
^THIS...is your brain on drugs...
---
Nickles is money too, come on guys...
#3windfoxxPosted 2/14/2013 10:32:00 PM
I pick based on class synergy. Any biotic power class begs to have Liara for her ability to prime things instantly and improve recharge times. Kaiden and Javik are useful as well for power classes. For weapon damage classes I go with Garrus and James. Infiltrator run I use EDI (decoy to keep mooks off me), and either James or Garrus to deal up front damage or strip shields. Might use Tali as well once I get her :3

For the other games, I just kinda picked based on whose abilities I liked. Liked to run Wrex and Liara in ME1 (though I also liked Tali). ME2 I liked Miranda (slam is incredible!) and Kasumi. Also liked Mordin for cryo and Zaeed for the flame grenades.
#48bitPunkPosted 2/14/2013 10:37:49 PM
In ME1, I always brought along one person to hack containers, then whoever I thought would add interesting dialogue.

In ME2, I brought in whoever would be best against the enemies. (Tech masters vs Geth, Biotics vs Collectors).

In ME3, I brought Edi/Garrus for Overload, and Liara for Biotics.
---
Xbox 360 GT: o 8bitPunk o
#53PiesAndAForkPosted 2/14/2013 10:45:49 PM
Since I really only need them to take the heat off me, I use my favourites. I'm using my less used squadmates on this playthrough to change things up.

However, the one exception is taking Liara on priority: Citadel II for stasis on the elevator.
---
"I could care less" means you care right now.
The proper phrase is "I couldn't care less."
#6Diablo56789Posted 2/14/2013 11:34:22 PM
I usually bring the person I'm banging and then the second would be a person I would/want to bang or someone I have banged

tis a simple choice
---
Sometimes I like to kneel down. Put my arms around my knee's and lean foward. Why? Cause that's how I roll
S.T.A.R.S. Member: Nemesis STAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRSSSS
#7masterswordPosted 2/14/2013 11:46:44 PM
I try and mix it up, to rotate through my squad members so that I fight with them all roughly the same amount. With that said, I usually end up taking Liara most of the time, because she's useful. I do tend to take who I think will be context appropriate for the mission as well, such as taking Garrus for the turian involved missions on Tuchanka, or Liara to the Ardat-Yakshi monastery.
---
That's when you know you've found somebody special. When you can just shut the **** up for a minute and comfortably share the silence.
#8PsyrenCallPosted 2/15/2013 12:22:41 AM
I use who I like, strategy doesn't factor as they're useless most of the time.
---
In fearful day, in raging night, with strong hearts full, our souls ignite! When all seems lost in the War of Light, look to the stars, for hope burns bright!
#9Aurion819Posted 2/15/2013 9:15:41 AM
"Okay, for this mission... Garrus, you're my bro. Get on the Kodiak. And... Javik, I know you're going to make hilarious snarky comments, get in here."

Later...

"Now for this mission... Garrus, you're still my bro. Aaaaand... Tali, you are looking quite fine today. Let's go, girl."

Commander Godric Shepard played favorites so hard.
---
"When you open your mind to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth."
#10edgecrusher02Posted 2/15/2013 9:30:54 AM
my "go to" squad is tali and garrus. but if im going to pick based on potential unique dialogue options or something it would differ. even though the game makes us take liara for thessia and EDI for cerberus headquarters i would have done so anyway because thessia is the asari homeworld and its cerberus. i always bring tali for the rannoch missions, just seems right. i bring liara for the ardat yakshi monestary because again, the mission comes from the asari and is about asari.

it was in ME2 that i could do that more. like i would bring grunt on mordins loyalty mission because its tuchunka and has to do with krogans. i bring miranda and jacob on each others loyalty missions because they know each other well so it just seemed appropriate. i wait and bring legion on talis loyalty mission because of course i had to see what it was like to bring a geth to the flotilla.

i usually try to think of who relates to the mission at least in some way even if its a small way.
---
religion is flawed because man is flawed. no gods, no kings... only man.