The council could've known about the reapers all along (citadel dlc speculation)

#11ChiroteraPosted 2/25/2013 5:23:12 AM
Mellow_RG posted...
http://guides.gamepressure.com/masseffect/gfx/word/-2060212578.jpg

What does that map remind you of?

:O
---
Detroit Red Wings: #9, #12, #7, #10, #1, #19, (#6), (#16), #5
#12Kyuubi7Posted 2/25/2013 5:34:55 AM
This argument is invalid.
---
FF7 is the best FF.
Charizard is the best Pokemon EVAR
#13charon78auPosted 2/25/2013 5:35:17 AM
Mellow_RG posted...

A robot turning out his pockets when confronted by a police officer.
---
(Im)mature Aussie gamer. Don't pay the ferry man. Don't even fix a price.
GT: Charon78
#14Halo_ForeverPosted 2/25/2013 7:58:58 AM
Nafzger posted...
Halo_Forever posted...
phoenix52 posted...
Or because being attacked by one advanced warship doesn't mean that the same thing has been happening on a much larger scale for millennia, especially when you're currently at war with a race of A.I.'s whose technological capabilities are unknown. Unless I'm forgetting something about Sovereign interacting or speaking with the Council, there isn't really anything conclusively linking him to the legend.

Mainly the fact that he is capable of doing things that are far beyond the other Geth ships, despite his mass making them even more unlikely for him to perform. Sovereign flew straight through a damn Alliance cruiser, there wasn't a current cycle ship capable of doing that.

It leaves a few options, every single one of them meaning that the council cannot adopt a "lalalala"-stance and survive.

I'm guessing you just briefly skimmed over phoenix's bit about "a race of A.I.s whose technological capabilities are unknown"

I didn't skim over the part of every single other vessel they had was vastly inferior. That is like the German Wehrmacht suddenly having orbital lasers or pockets nukes in WWII.

One of the most damning things is the turn Sovereign pulls off in the Battle of the Citadel. It is such that any other Geth ship or alliance cruiser would have snapped from the force, Sovereign didn't care (this is further compounded by the fact that structural integrity is related to cross-section whereas mass is related to volume). Once they saw what Sovereign really could do there was little doubt that it wasn't a Geth ship (technically the landing on Eden Prime would also classify as this)
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#15ArnoldtheRedPosted 2/25/2013 8:13:09 AM
Remember when the Council was actually convinced that the reaper threat was real, and were thankful that you saved them and billions from the reapers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_6yQwHJ4tU&t=3m31s

Nope, **** that, we'll just retcon that in ME2 and say that they never believed you to begin with, and make you hunt Geth at the beginning, and still believe that it was always the Geth, instead of you know, preparing for the reaper invasion? No, that would make way too much sense.
#16mikey_205Posted 2/25/2013 8:45:15 AM
Two years is a long time during which time they could go into denial especially when the leading advocate suddenly dies. However I am hoping there's more to it, maybe a public cover-up whilst secret preparations are on-going or due to Shepard's affiliation with Cerberus alternatively perhaps some indoctrination etc...
---
Brawl Code = 2664-3608-9538
#17NafzgerPosted 2/25/2013 2:29:20 PM
Halo_Forever posted...
I didn't skim over the part of every single other vessel they had was vastly inferior. That is like the German Wehrmacht suddenly having orbital lasers or pockets nukes in WWII.

One of the most damning things is the turn Sovereign pulls off in the Battle of the Citadel. It is such that any other Geth ship or alliance cruiser would have snapped from the force, Sovereign didn't care (this is further compounded by the fact that structural integrity is related to cross-section whereas mass is related to volume). Once they saw what Sovereign really could do there was little doubt that it wasn't a Geth ship (technically the landing on Eden Prime would also classify as this)

I'm guessing you just briefly skimmed over phoenix's bit about "a race of A.I.s whose technological capabilities are unknown"
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
http://www.last.fm/user/Rainbow_Smasher
#18Shigmiya64Posted 2/25/2013 2:36:09 PM
All this hate for the Council is more overblown than the hate for the original ending. Occam's Razor asserts that the simplest explanation is the most likely one. Really, which sounds more plausible to you: that Sovereign was simply a highly-advanced ship built by a robotic race with unknown technology, or that it was one of thousands of million-year old organic machines that live outside the galaxy and have carried out a galaxy-wide harvest of organic life for eons?
---
"Remember to believe in magic, or I'll kill you."
#19BeefstakPosted 2/25/2013 3:17:38 PM
It kind of breaks down to the "that won't ever happen to me" way of thinking.

The council kind of takes this to the extreme. They saw a reaper, kinda flimsy to think it was just a geth warship. But that explanation sits easier with them then "Oh Shep was right we are all doomed and our days are numbered. Then as time goes by Shep isn't punching them in the face with Reaper talk, and Geth Warship becomes more and more plausible. Captain Anderson is the only one actively pushing reaper invasion. So he is considered a lone crazy that everyone probably laughs at behind his back....

My big issue in ME2 is that none of your crew members who were with you and knew the truth were actively fighting the reaper invasion. Tali is worried about some sun on a distant planet, Wrex is trying to unite the Krogan, Garrus is killing Mercs in Murderville, Kaiden/Ashley get promoted and ignore the threat, Liara is doing something.. I guess related to information. You would think they would be working together to do something to stop the Reapers...
---
Because, he's a big, stupid Jellyfish!
#20roo10158Posted 2/25/2013 3:19:39 PM
Mellow_RG posted...

All artists leave their mark on their creations, and the reapers created the Citadel. Maybe this is the reapers' trademark
---
My systems: Genesis/32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, GG, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, Xbox360, PS1, PS2, PS3, GBC, DS Lite, DSi XL, 3DS, PS VITA