Cabal Vanguard Gold/Platinum Breakdown

#1creatur0fhabitPosted 2/28/2013 11:01:14 AM
Here is why the Cabal has become one of my top 3 favorite characters. I'll break it down in parts. My outline is long but I've watched 4 or 5 YouTube Videos and withing 20 seconds of their game play I see they miss the beauty and true use of this character.

First: This is a skirmisher character through and through, stay moving. If your play style is weapons and weapon damage you will have issues here. The only weapon you should carry is the acolyte with power and melee mods. You need that 200% recharge rate which I'll explain soon. Do not play her to be on the top of the scoreboard. You will be on top some times but being a high scorer does not translate. You do more for your team by taking out the week and open enemies. Stalking the engineers and ravagers translates is the difference between faster more effective wave completions and everyone having to use most of their med packs at wave 4.

Second: Don't charge blindly into the frey. Get in and get out with your poison strike. Make use of the biotic focus to do more melee damage and regen your shields. This is the difference between life and death with this character. Use your acolyte to break barriers and shields then go for the kill. One hit with an acolyte on a phantom and a heavy melee and it's dead. The enemy will spawn and create choke points and it's your job to break that up. You are NOT a boss killer. Soften them up with the acolyte and a blade shot and move on. You do your group no good by getting downed in front of a prime.

Third: The recon mine and Geth scanner can be an insane advantage as you can guess. You have to think like a lion and take out the sick and the stragglers. I've tried every avenue of attack and this is by far the most effective. Don't think your a support character though. You bring to the table the combination of an infiltrator and a vanguard. Do not use poison strike to blindly enter enemy controlled territory even if you know what's there. You will see your shields go bye bye and no time to heal or run. If you do get away you probably lost at least 3 health bars or more.

Fourth: Support your team. Being a one man army will get you on the top of the board but your allies will drop more. Back them up and you will see the magic of the skirmisher. I've gotten a few messages telling me thanks for being a team player. Be that person and pick your battles. Don't be ashamed if you have to run away after only one melee. Remember that it's still dying from poison.

Last: You are the objective master for disabling devices and target elimination. You have the ability to zip to objectives and complete them quickly making more credits and smoother waves.

Specs: 6/6/6/0/6
Nothing in the weapon passive, you don't want to be shooting as much and if you do, choose another character.

Poison strike: range/recharge/poison strength - You need the range and it isn't an offensive ability due to the hit/miss ratio

Nightshade Blades: damage/range/enhanced blades - damage at 72 feet for the win

Biotic Focus: Damage Taken/Melee bonus/Biotic shield - Heal yourself constantly!

Fitness: Melee/Martial artist/Shield expert - The last melee is not necessary when you need more shields

Gear Bonus: I'm torn here...it's a tie between Juggernaut shields and Geth scanner. I lean twards Juggernaut shields because of the Geth scanner screen killing my field of view. If it doesn't bother you then use the scanner, spam the acolyte around corners and know what's going down.

Equipment: Shield regen rate increase for butt saving, Disruptor or Phasic rounds to make enemies spasm and hate your existence, and of course...strength enhancer.

That's the Cabal in a nutshell, if you made it through this outline then your a dedicated skirmisher. Use her to her strengths and remember that without that 200% cooldown speed your arse is on the line.
#2terrysmay04Posted 2/28/2013 11:05:06 AM
so your suggesting getting most of your damage through melee? on Platinum?

I'm skeptical of the viability, due to limited chances where melee is an option. And even when it is her melee isn't that strong.
---
GT: THE Terry May
Keep clam and Chive on!
#3Nacht004Posted 2/28/2013 11:10:05 AM
Willing to at least try it, thus far I've been having very little luck in executing a good strategy with her.
---
There's really nothing to say.
GT - Pb Farmer
#4WatermelonFartsPosted 2/28/2013 11:16:51 AM
stopped reading because i knew this was a crock of **** at this point

The only weapon you should carry is the acolyte with power and melee mods.
---
next guide: awakened collector (if i unlock him soon)
#5creatur0fhabit(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2013 11:19:20 AM
terrysmay04 posted...
so your suggesting getting most of your damage through melee? on Platinum?

I'm skeptical of the viability, due to limited chances where melee is an option. And even when it is her melee isn't that strong.

This is why it's a skirmisher only. Get in then get out. The melee is not only powerful if specked right but it has poison damage. Your acolyte is your meat tenderizer and your heavy melee is your filet knife while your poison strike is your exit strategy. I've completed several platinum runs with her but you have to have a cohesive team to finish within a reasonable time. Stay healing yourself because when you do the second that you do your invulnerable. Start with a few bronze and silver for practice, sharpen your tactics of hit and run. Then do a gold with friends to get down a support strategy. The acolyte is key. I tried using other guns like piranha x and failed because of the lack of shield drop and stagger ability.
#6sir_fredingtonPosted 2/28/2013 11:27:18 AM(edited)
I prefer a weapons-based skirmisher. She has GREAT weapon damage passives.

3/6/6/6/5 spec'ed for shields

I've used the talon so far, but I want to try other guns.
#7creatur0fhabit(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2013 11:22:12 AM
WatermelonFarts posted...

Interesting opinion, I tried many other gun combos and this one surpassed them by far. You personally may not feel it's effective which is fine but post an alternative instead of trolling.
#8WatermelonFartsPosted 2/28/2013 11:25:56 AM
creatur0fhabit posted...

Interesting opinion, I tried many other gun combos and this one surpassed them by far. You personally may not feel it's effective which is fine but post an alternative instead of trolling.

i don't see how you could find this better than gun combos unless your guns are level 1
---
next guide: awakened collector (if i unlock him soon)
#9DreoreSilerePosted 2/28/2013 11:34:10 AM
TC is absolutely valid. I tried a Gold, Glacier, Reaper run with her using only Biotic Focus, Poison Strike, Heavy Melee, and insta-teleport dodge. I did NOT move my left analog stick the whole match, NOT AT ALL, except for objective waves. What I did was this...

Biotic Focus > Heavy Melee > Melee > Poison Strike > Dodge > Biotic Focus > Heavy Melee .................

While I poisoned every enemy around the map numerous times and prevented their shields and health from regenerating, my teammates cleaned up. I was top score AND I got around at least 100 assists, not sure. Geth Scanner helped a lot.

It's pretty fun, but can be pretty draining, and if your teammates are spectating you, they're going to get pretty dizzy.
---
I should go.
#10AarksharkPosted 2/28/2013 12:14:21 PM

I still haven't unboxed a Cabal yet.
You still recommending (6/6/6/5/3) and Claymore?
---
Gamertag/PSN ID/Steam: Navllyk
Common sense is actually ultra rare and must be bought from premium spectre packs to have a chance of obtaining it. -Cicero.me-