Tips for grinding challenges?

#1sheepman23Posted 3/3/2013 4:49:53 PM
I just took a look at my Challenges list on the N7 HQ, and I have an extremely long way to go if I ever plan on getting BotB.

For those of you who've gotten it, what are the best ways to grind the challenges? Should I do Bronze PUG's for all of the "waves completed" challenges and stick to Gold for weapon challenges? I'm just looking for the most efficient way of doing this before I get started.
---
XBL GT - Sheepman2342
#2jkocka00Posted 3/3/2013 5:10:56 PM
I have about 55000 challenge points. These are some of my tips:

1. Learn to solo is the number 1 key. I can pretty much solo silver against reapers or geth with any kit using any weapon.
2. Grind waves on bronze with randoms, much faster.
3. Always be working on multiple challenges at a time. Paladin counts for Earth mastery and can do 5 tech powers plus a weapon.
4. Pick smart weapons and characters. The Raptor and hornet stink but they count for 2 challenges and it is easier to get 200000 points than grind 200 waves with anothet character.
5. Weapons- play unknown/unknown, use kits with bonuses like the GI or Destroyer, Incindiary Ammo or any comsumable really helps, FQI- cloak sabotage shoot- backfire damage counts fir your weapon

That is all I can think of at work but feel free to ask any more ?'s and I will check back
---
The artist formerly known as the artist formerly known as Goddess King, The White King (map not race-I'm Brazilian)
GT: Kocka007
#3jkocka00Posted 3/3/2013 5:14:48 PM
Also plan your characters out ahead of time. For example the Turian soldier is a beast but only counts for commando. The havoc counts for that plus retaliation.
---
The artist formerly known as the artist formerly known as Goddess King, The White King (map not race-I'm Brazilian)
#4sheepman23(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2013 5:23:44 PM
jkocka00 posted...

1. Learn to solo is the number 1 key. I can pretty much solo silver against reapers or geth with any kit using any weapon.
3. Always be working on multiple challenges at a time. Paladin counts for Earth mastery and can do 5 tech powers plus a weapon.
4. Pick smart weapons and characters. The Raptor and hornet stink but they count for 2 challenges and it is easier to get 200000 points than grind 200 waves with anothet character.
5. Weapons- play unknown/unknown, use kits with bonuses like the GI or Destroyer, Incindiary Ammo or any comsumable really helps, FQI- cloak sabotage shoot- backfire damage counts fir your weapon

That is all I can think of at work but feel free to ask any more ?'s and I will check back

First of all, thanks for all of the help, it's much appreciated.

I've done two Silver solos; one with the Salarian Infiltrator and another with the Drell Adept. I'm pretty confident that, given the right conditions for each character, I could probably solo Silver with anything.

So far I've been trying to do effective combos of class and weapons to get me more points at once. Since I have to do several more waves for the TGI, I plan on slapping several different assault rifles on him to grind points for that challenge as well.

One question I have is in regards to how kills are calculated. For instance, if I use an Avenger to wear down an enemy, and then use Incinerate or some other power that ends up getting the actual kill, do I still get points for the Avenger since I used it to take away most of the enemy's health?
---
XBL GT - Sheepman2342
#5jkocka00Posted 3/3/2013 5:44:12 PM
Yes the points are broken up between the methods but there are hidden bonuses. The killing power gets a bonus in points kind of like how the assist/kill system works. You also earn more points per enemy based on how you kill them. If you combo kill an enemy, headshot or kill it before it notices you they are worth more points.

BTW- SI and Drell Adept are 2 strong classes, but use them for solos only if you are trying to grind challenges. Like I said before they are base characters so they only count for 1 challenge. That is until you are done with their banner, then play rhe crap out of them.
---
#6BiggyDXPosted 3/3/2013 5:46:02 PM
sheepman23 posted...
jkocka00 posted...

First of all, thanks for all of the help, it's much appreciated.

I've done two Silver solos; one with the Salarian Infiltrator and another with the Drell Adept. I'm pretty confident that, given the right conditions for each character, I could probably solo Silver with anything.

So far I've been trying to do effective combos of class and weapons to get me more points at once. Since I have to do several more waves for the TGI, I plan on slapping several different assault rifles on him to grind points for that challenge as well.

One question I have is in regards to how kills are calculated. For instance, if I use an Avenger to wear down an enemy, and then use Incinerate or some other power that ends up getting the actual kill, do I still get points for the Avenger since I used it to take away most of the enemy's health?

Yes. Points are allotted by how much damage you do. Not the final kill (though it increases the number of points overall)
---
Gamertag: My user name
#7sheepman23(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2013 5:49:55 PM
jkocka00 posted...
Yes the points are broken up between the methods but there are hidden bonuses. The killing power gets a bonus in points kind of like how the assist/kill system works. You also earn more points per enemy based on how you kill them. If you combo kill an enemy, headshot or kill it before it notices you they are worth more points.

Thanks, this helps a lot.

BTW- SI and Drell Adept are 2 strong classes, but use them for solos only if you are trying to grind challenges. Like I said before they are base characters so they only count for 1 challenge. That is until you are done with their banner, then play rhe crap out of them.

Outside of the Lone Wolf banner, is there any reason to actually solo for grinding challenges? Or is it a lot faster with randoms?
---
XBL GT - Sheepman2342
#8infinitexxPosted 3/3/2013 5:58:27 PM
Soloing is the easiest way to get points for weapons/powers, particularly ones that struggle in games where people are mowing things down with their Harrier TGIs and AIUs.
---
Posted from my Xbox360 with 360FAQS v1.1
#9jkocka00Posted 3/3/2013 6:00:14 PM
For waves use randoms. For weapons and powers solo. Why? Because all those points are yours. A lot easier to kill things with a phaeston when you dont have 3 harriers shooting at the same enemies.
---
#10sheepman23(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2013 6:02:59 PM
OK, that makes sense. I don't have a problem with soloing, I was just thinking it might end up taking longer. But atleast I can get all of the kills more easily that way.
---
XBL GT - Sheepman2342