The problem with Citadel (DLC and ending spoilers)

#1LordTrinenPosted 3/8/2013 5:53:00 PM
I love the Citadel DLC. There are a few small things I would have changed with Citadel such as improving some of the romance scenes but for the most part I am very, very happy with it. The only thing I really don't like about Citadel is that it leaves me even more conflicted over which ending to pick.

Most times I pick Destroy because Shepard survives (though I'm still a little fuzzy on the how). I like to imagine that Shepard is found while the Citadel is being repaired, probably spends a few months in the hospital and is later reunited with his/her love interest. However I really hate how this comes at the price of EDI and the geth. I really like EDI and I worked so hard on establishing peace between the quarians and geth. But every so often I want to try out a different ending. Sometimes the Shepard I am roleplaying doesn't fit with the Destroy ending and would prefer Control or Synthesis.

For example, I'm working on a Tali romance save. I would love to see Shepard and Tali reunited at the end but I think this Shepard would lean more towards the Synthesis ending. At the time he makes his choice, Shepard doesn't know he would survive if Destroy is picked. The Catalyst makes it sound like he would die no matter which option he picked. In this instance, if his death is a certainty, he sees Synthesis as the best option. If he cannot return to Tali he can give her one final gift: a galaxy where her people and the geth can finally live together in peace. It may not be gift she wants exactly but it would be the best Shepard could do given the circumstances.

I prefer playing the entire DLC before the end game. Holding the party after completing the game might sound nice but the final scene of the DLC kind of ruins that (references to the Reapers). Interacting with your love interest during this DLC makes me want to pick Destroy even more. At the same time interacting with EDI makes me want to pick Control or Synthesis even more. I suppose this is a life lesson, you can't get everything that you want.
#2STLCards1991Posted 3/8/2013 5:56:51 PM
Yeah I'm with you. I've got three main Shepards and I have them picking different endings. My first Shepard who I like the best goes with Synthesis but it's definitely a bit harder to stomach seeing him die after how great the party and other interactions with his friends were.
#3ChiroteraPosted 3/8/2013 6:01:23 PM
There is no ending but the one that ends with the Reapers dead, no matter the cost.
---
Detroit Red Wings: #9, #12, #7, #10, #1, #19, (#6), (#16), #5
#4LazHarshawPosted 3/8/2013 6:03:18 PM
But dead Reapers still indoctrinate, so killing them just adds to the problem.
#5LordTrinen(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 6:42:17 PM
LazHarshaw posted...

We don't know that for certain. For all we know the Crucible shorts out/disables whatever generates Indoctrination.
#6AigonrothPosted 3/8/2013 6:44:29 PM
LazHarshaw posted...

How there are no Reapers left alive to control indoctrinated targets? Also I am fairly certain they are 100% dead after Destroy not just brain dead like the Derelict Reaper was in ME2.

Also Sovereign definitely wasn't indoctrinating anyone after his death.
---
"I love nailing Asari, so ageless and superior. Then you get them and they squeal like schoolgirls"- Gianna Parasini, Mass Effect 2.