Can't believe there are still people complaining about the ending (no spoilers)

#61Halo_ForeverPosted 3/13/2013 8:10:48 AM
Destin posted...

i have the same problem, the entire ME3 plot is just trying to play on emotions and string together a series of dramatic events for the sake of drama (logic be damned). and most players just droll over that stuff, it's pretty sad actually.

*pretty heavy generalization inbound*

A lack of attention to narrative consistency is one of those things that annoy me with gamers, I often get the feeling that the existence of plot twists make them think that wow this was deep and surprising no matter if it makes any sense.

This is particularly annoying as I'm not even a fan of storytelling in games (it tends to slow down the pace), however I have no problem in seeing the issues with the stories that a lot of other people apparently miss (usually after accusing me of not paying attention while they missed a plot hole the size of Sovereign). Usually one doesn't even have to descend into OCD level nit picking to pick out huge flaws in game narratives, most of them don't make sense on the levels of Transformers 2.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#62MrPibbRulesPosted 3/13/2013 8:19:26 AM
Halo_Forever posted...
Destin posted...

i have the same problem, the entire ME3 plot is just trying to play on emotions and string together a series of dramatic events for the sake of drama (logic be damned). and most players just droll over that stuff, it's pretty sad actually.

*pretty heavy generalization inbound*

A lack of attention to narrative consistency is one of those things that annoy me with gamers, I often get the feeling that the existence of plot twists make them think that wow this was deep and surprising no matter if it makes any sense.

This is particularly annoying as I'm not even a fan of storytelling in games (it tends to slow down the pace), however I have no problem in seeing the issues with the stories that a lot of other people apparently miss (usually after accusing me of not paying attention while they missed a plot hole the size of Sovereign). Usually one doesn't even have to descend into OCD level nit picking to pick out huge flaws in game narratives, most of them don't make sense on the levels of Transformers 2.

Agree to an extent. I notice these plot holes, as well as other narrative issues, but if a game gives me what I want or expect, I can usually ignore it. I loved character interaction and the ability to roleplay, Mass Effect gave me that, ME2 gave me more of it (and as a result I ignored plot holes as they didn't deter my enjoyment). ME3, however, didn't only do poorly in terms of narrative, it watered down the role playing and character interaction gameplay that made me love the series, this what made me less forgiving of what they tried to pass off as drama and the ending.

This all being said, there are things ME3 does right, Im just less eager to defend said things compared to the other games.
---
-Javik: You and the Quarian are...joined? -Shepard: You could say that. -Javik: She calls it your emergency induction port? Shepard: I should go.
#63Halo_ForeverPosted 3/13/2013 8:42:08 AM
MrPibbRules posted...

Agree to an extent. I notice these plot holes, as well as other narrative issues, but if a game gives me what I want or expect, I can usually ignore it. I loved character interaction and the ability to roleplay, Mass Effect gave me that, ME2 gave me more of it (and as a result I ignored plot holes as they didn't deter my enjoyment). ME3, however, didn't only do poorly in terms of narrative, it watered down the role playing and character interaction gameplay that made me love the series, this what made me less forgiving of what they tried to pass off as drama and the ending.

This all being said, there are things ME3 does right, Im just less eager to defend said things compared to the other games.

For my part, I usually buy games for the gameplay with the narrative being a rather secondary concern, so I won't care that much if the story is bad. Usually* the only times I get involved with a story is when it features a custom character. A custom character however also seems to make me a lot less forgiving to narrative mistakes especially when they starts to approach planet sized idiot balls (Fable really really loves those).

Mass Effect 1 was a pretty large surprise for me as I had expected something pretty hokey but all the usual suspects (going under cover, getting captured) were absent. Hell, they even managed to have clothed females fighting in space. It reminded me a bit of Revelation Space, which I was a fan of. I also liked the fact that the Reapers were a credible enemy to Shepard (even with how OP Shepard was in ME1, the Reapers were something else), while not being the typical immortal gods only vulnerable to artifact X. It did have a few silly sidelines like that Cerberus black ops which had way too much resources, but as long as Bioware doesn't focus on them everything should be fine.

You can imagine my disappointment when Bioware focused ME2 and pretty much ME3 on Cerberus. I pretty much hate everything Cerberus was about, so I absolutely hated working for them in ME2. Despite being ten times more stupid than ME2, I actually find ME3 more tolerable since I am shooting Cerberus in it, not working for them.

*Metro 2033 and Red Faction Guerilla raise pretty large middle fingers to that.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#64yumekoPosted 3/13/2013 12:28:38 PM
Nafzger posted...

Shepard gets warped to an alternate universe where he meets and greets the development team

Chrono Cross does this lol
---
[[Proud Member of the Three Yusketeers!]]
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1csznEK3m1r436hfo4_500.jpg
#65krono069Posted 3/14/2013 10:08:56 PM
Absorbing
---
"I may lead you astray every now and then, but I'm always a safe bet." ~Mat Cauthon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U93D8l8B_HU
#66mrklarrydPosted 3/14/2013 11:45:40 PM
The ending was laughably bad, revised ending, better but still very problematic.

Citadel, on the other hand, while not an ending in the narrative sense, was a pretty satisfying conclusion to Shepard's world, I thought.
#67mrklarrydPosted 3/14/2013 11:47:32 PM
yumeko posted...
Nafzger posted...

Shepard gets warped to an alternate universe where he meets and greets the development team

Chrono Cross does this lol

WTF was that **** about inseminating planets at the end of Chrono Cross, anyway?
#68SmacakePosted 3/14/2013 11:50:27 PM
I want Bioware to explain why the Mass Relays destruction in the ending do not kill everyone in the galaxy.If you played Arrival you know a destroyed relay kills a entire system destroying any planets with it.
---
Do not judge others unless you judge yourself first.Afterwards pick up a 12 gadge shotgun and prepare for the zombie apocolypse.
#69Ubergrim3Posted 3/15/2013 12:06:11 AM
ME3 was shaping up to be one of my top favorite games of all time right up until the ending. To say I was let down would be a massive understatement. That kind of disappointment tends to stick with you, so much so that I've only played through the game twice (doing a third run now for the dlc), compared to the at least 10 times I beat ME1 and like, 20 times I beat ME2. I'm not voicing anymore complaints about the ending and I haven't since maybe a week after I beat it, but it's certainly sapped a lot of the desire I have to replay the game, even with the extended cut.
---
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the Professor! - The Professor
GT: xCOLBY JACKx
#70DiamondAce18Posted 3/15/2013 12:10:25 AM
Smacake posted...
I want Bioware to explain why the Mass Relays destruction in the ending do not kill everyone in the galaxy.If you played Arrival you know a destroyed relay kills a entire system destroying any planets with it.

They just didn't clearly explain. It was logically an implosion, not an explosion. Extended Cut kind of explains this. That and the Alpha Relay was a totally different circumstance as it was made unstable by an outside force (the asteroid). It's what I'm assuming. It's ridiculous to extrapolate one specific circumstance and apply it to an entirely different one.