N7 Slayer?

#1destroyerman455Posted 3/14/2013 5:27:01 AM
So I got the N7 Slayer and I was excited to finally have it. Then looking around to see how others felt, I have seen that many do not like him, however, many of these opinions were a good 7 months old and I heard they buffed him recently.

So my question is, how viable is it to use the Slayer? What type of build should I consider?

I really hope he isnt THAT bad, I really want to use him and not suck.
---
Tactical Assessment, Red Chinese Victory, Impossible.
#2Havoc49JPosted 3/14/2013 5:33:46 AM
He's one of, if not the best vanguard.

Skip Biotic Slash

Charge: Radius, Power Damage, Barrier
PD: Radius, Efficent Blast, Armor Damage
Passive: Power Damage, Power Damage, Weapon Damage
Fitness: Health, Health, Health.
#3AsmodiosPosted 3/14/2013 5:37:04 AM
I freaking live him. He's my favorite and best character. I use him as a purely Melee build. This build for me is personally really fun. Spec h for anything that increases Melee and power damage. Use phasic disruptor instead of biotic slash and make sure you take the 50% barrier cost reduction. Now, just run around slapping everyone with your wub wub sword and use phasic disruptor on any enemy you don't feel like getting close to. Keep in mind, the biggest advantage to being a slayer is that he has Alot of invincibility frames. Just charge and light Melee and your BASICALLY invincible. I use this character and the only time I don't get top score is when I'm detonating someone over and over again. I use this character and platinum, and as long as you don't get collectors, your good.
#4AsmodiosPosted 3/14/2013 5:42:26 AM
Havoc49J posted...
He's one of, if not the best vanguard.

Skip Biotic Slash

Charge: Radius, Power Damage, Barrier
PD: Radius, Efficent Blast, Armor Damage
Passive: Power Damage, Power Damage, Weapon Damage
Fitness: Health, Health, Health.

I went a bit more damage oriented then his and my survivability didn't suffer TOO much. Fitness was all Melee for me, and phasic disruptor
Also went for damage, efficient blast, and armor. Also with the invulnerability frames, I went with damage charge. Finally, with n7 training, I chose reduced weapon weight. Those shotgun omni blades are a pain and I have a deciple X
#5Orange_ApplesPosted 3/14/2013 5:46:24 AM
I tend to disagree with the idea of not taking Biotic Slash. I would take 5 in passive and 3 in slash.

Sometimes I do forget I have it when I'm playing on Gold, but I also dabble in silver/bronze on some days and below gold slash is amazing. between charge, phase disruptor, dodge and melees, I almost never fire the gun. If I'm going to be wasting 6 points in something it might as well be something that is unique to the class.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#6AsmodiosPosted 3/14/2013 5:51:41 AM
Orange_Apples posted...
I tend to disagree with the idea of not taking Biotic Slash. I would take 5 in passive and 3 in slash.

Sometimes I do forget I have it when I'm playing on Gold, but I also dabble in silver/bronze on some days and below gold slash is amazing. between charge, phase disruptor, dodge and melees, I almost never fire the gun. If I'm going to be wasting 6 points in something it might as well be something that is unique to the class.

I see what you mean. My thought process on this is that I use anything that increases Melee. Th shotgun omni blade makes shotguns really heavy and the slayer doesn't hold that much weight. Sp that's why I take n7 trainings weight reductiOn. Also, biotic slash on gold+ doesn't do enough damage to outshine your Melee or phasic disruptor. At that point it's just good for staggering enemies.
#7Havoc49JPosted 3/14/2013 6:16:39 AM(edited)
Radius is better than damage because of PD's huge base radius. Instead of the average 0.75-1.5m increase on most powers your getting 2.2m. In addition it's only a 120dmg difference.

My stance on Melee:
The light Melee gives 85? DR not invincibility frames. Light Melee damage will cap out at 1200 on a single target with all bonuses while restricting you to shotguns with a 50 weight attachment and lowering your PD damage.

PD will do 1188 dmg to Heath/shields and 2079 to armor over a 7.2m radius. While detonating explosion, while stunning just about everything, while at a safe distance.

Why would I ever take the time to Melee when PD is just plain better?

-edited a math mistake.
#8Orange_ApplesPosted 3/14/2013 6:03:46 AM
Asmodios posted...
Orange_Apples posted...

I see what you mean. My thought process on this is that I use anything that increases Melee. Th shotgun omni blade makes shotguns really heavy and the slayer doesn't hold that much weight. Sp that's why I take n7 trainings weight reductiOn. Also, biotic slash on gold+ doesn't do enough damage to outshine your Melee or phasic disruptor. At that point it's just good for staggering enemies.

Don't get me wrong, You can shoot out 3 PDs in the time it takes to do 1 BS. I even admit that I don't use it in gold, but on silver and bronze it is just so much fun. Put the Geth Scanner on him and you are set. Jump through a wall and slash enemies through walls.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#9kamikazeman41Posted 3/14/2013 6:05:47 AM
I don't like a pure melee build. I focus on spamming power damage. PD is even better since they buffed it and biotic slash is great and can detonate explosions. Perfect match for the debug biotics. Just don't spam when a banshees coming at you

Also always host as this guy.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#10Rafficus_IIIPosted 3/14/2013 6:12:58 AM
Listen to Havoc, because of two reasons: 1) Havoc is pretty much a Vanguard guru, and 2) that's how I used to run my Slayer across the board from Bronze to Platinum. He's a great character, just extremely high risk-high reward. Play smart and you'll have a blast.

I put a stronghold on him so his PD could recharge quicker, either a Talon or Piranha will do the job, add Incendiary rounds+PD and you have yourself some pretty fire explosions. Also, like the Cabal and Fury, he can teleport you out of risky situations. You can even lead bosses into a confined area and then teleport out of the cluster **** through the walls and either finish the objective or hose them all down; it works beautifully.
---
GT: BigRaff87 | http://i48.tinypic.com/15mbg2t.jpg | The Amazing Spiderman of GameFaqs