Platinum tips....please?

#1SSJ4BradohanPosted 3/16/2013 9:03:49 AM
Its crazy, I do well with randoms in Gold, extract 70ish% of the time on Gold. So for the last week, I've decided to try Platinum....its outrageous, and seems so impossible, I havent past wave 6, let alone extracted one time all week! Granted I'm playing with randoms, but thats never stopped me before from being successful on Gold. Maybe I'm playing Platinum wrong...any pointers?
---
Not changing until MY colts win another superbowl...started 7/11/08
#2Safer_777Posted 3/16/2013 9:11:17 AM
You all should stick together.I suggest to have one Geth Juggernaut to draw the bosses and one Volus character to use Shield Boost.Eiter try Rio Box(Stay in the box all the time and kill stuff)or Giant extraction(Stay at the place where you start and kill stuff).Only move from these locations to do objectives.Missiles are your friends,use the gear to carry 9 of them.
---
GameFaqs is NOT the place to go for relationship advice.Nobody here gets any action unless it is their right or left hand.Including me.~Dawn and Dusk~
#3terrysmay04Posted 3/16/2013 9:15:10 AM
You gotta find some people to play with. Randoms are untrustworthy AT BEST. Anything above gold with them requires the type of communication and skill that doesn't show up very often in PUGs
---
GT: THE Terry May
Keep clam and Chive on!
#4Mr_PipboyPosted 3/16/2013 9:16:10 AM
terrysmay04 posted...
You gotta find some people to play with. Randoms are untrustworthy AT BEST. Anything above gold with them requires the type of communication and skill that doesn't show up very often in PUGs

This. 100% this.
---
In case you can't tell, I was being sarcastic.
www.Omega-level.net | Salarian Sniper King
#5ChiroteraPosted 3/16/2013 9:26:01 AM
You only extract on gold 70% of the time? Boy, you ain't ready for Platinum

haha, nah, I'm just givivng ya crap.

Platinum is very hit or miss depending on the team. The only suggestions I have are stick close to your team and prioritize targets (Ravagers should always die first, followed by things that shoot you). Phantoms are a top target too, though if you have a Juggernaut hopefully they pick them up. Banshees and Brutes are way down on my priority list as they don't post much threat unless they're in your face - so you can easily move them around while you take out actual threats.

If it's a close combat situation, and you're close to your team, Brutes shouldn't pose much of a problem anyways. Try to keep an eye on what your team is firing at too. Sometimes it's better to break the priority rule and just help focus fire on their targets.

I'm not sure what kind of set-up you like to run but I'm a big fan of duration spec'd infiltrators too (Especially the QMI). It turns me into a bit of a medic and can totally take the pressure off the team for the 4-node hack objectives. But that's just my two cents.
---
Detroit Red Wings: #9, #12, #7, #10, #1, #19, (#6), (#16), #5
#6MetaIGearRexPosted 3/16/2013 9:30:16 AM
I super picky about challenge points on pug platinum games. I won't play unless a couple people have at least around 10000 challenge points. Following this rule my results have been pretty damn good.
---
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life." - Mickey Mantle
#7KADFCPosted 3/16/2013 9:34:31 AM
MetaIGearRex posted...
I super picky about challenge points on pug platinum games. I won't play unless a couple people have at least around 10000 challenge points. Following this rule my results have been pretty damn good.

Good luck
#8ChiroteraPosted 3/16/2013 9:36:26 AM
MetaIGearRex posted...

That rule seems kind of asinine to me. I don't even have 10k challenge points (I'm at 8k something, if I remember rightly) - but then I don't tend to go out of my way to obtain them either. Other than Lone Wolf most of them are more an indication of your ability to grind than they are of their skill.

But to each their own.
---
Detroit Red Wings: #9, #12, #7, #10, #1, #19, (#6), (#16), #5
#9kungfuj0Posted 3/16/2013 9:38:37 AM
1. I forget what its called, but use the extra missile gear. It gives 3 extra missiles at level V. Those extra 3 missiles can be life savers.

2. Don't hesitate to use said missiles, especially on objective waves.

3. As much as I hate it, holding an area seems to work best, but don't be afraid to bail out if the situation calls for it. I am no platinum expert, but I've been playing it alot since the challenge last weekend, and I find that I like playing it on bigger maps so that if I need to break camp, I can do so and run to the other side of the map and try to pick off enemies as they are chasing me. You can thin out the heard fairly easily by doing that. Giant is my favorite map for that, ghost and some others work well for it also.

4. Use an infiltrator. I beat platinum with my melee-focused shadow yesterday, and I didn't think she'd be able to do it. I did it by using her infiltrator skills more than anything, but I got my share of SS's in too. Of the times that I've beaten platinum, I've done it most often as an infiltrator of some sort. The Edi-bot is great here, especially, as she can recharge her shields and she has snap freeze which weakens enemies for herself and others to finish off.

5. Use or have a geth juggernaut in the match. Like someone already said, those guys hold bosses. They make it easier for the rest of the team to finish off those bosses. If you have a juggernaut and another guy with a flamer, bosses melt like ice cream in summer.

6. When picking your character or weapons/loadout, make sure you understand that there will be more boss characters than anything, so bring stuff that kills bosses quickly. I literally played a match with a guy who had a predator last night. Suffice it to say we didn't make it very far.

7. Remember that platinum is a team effort. When I play gold, especially with randoms, I go in with the mindset that I'll have to carry the match. Even if/when I don't, I go in thinking that I will. On platinum, that mindset will get you killed in a hurry. You need the team to work together. Even the mighty juggernaut will fall if he's holding a boss and nobody is working with him to kill that boss, because he'll get overwhelmed. Work together and you can make it.
---
Alabama Crimson Tide: Now serving title #15..
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
#10MetaIGearRexPosted 3/16/2013 9:40:31 AM
^^^I said around 10k. Many different variables can change that number. For instance if I see good class set-ups with complimentary equipment and i'll lower my rule to around 5k challenge points. I do end up searching for a while sometimes though.
---
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life." - Mickey Mantle