I still don't get why the Reapers didn't just head right for the Citadel.

#1UnfairRepresentPosted 3/19/2013 7:14:40 AM(edited)
Mass Effect 1,2 and 3 spoilers ahead. You HAVE been warned.

The entire plan of ME1 was all about how in one swoop they wipe out all the leaders, learn nearly all knowledge of all peoples and places, then bring all the Reapers into the galaxy at once, take control of the Relays and systematically wipe out the defenseless clusters and sectors one by one.

But then in 2 and 3 they seem to give up on this plan and take on everybody, at once, at the same time, fully prepared with the relays fully operational to everyone and with full communication and transportation.

Even Javik seems to flip-flop on whether or not the Relays were open when the Protheans fought the Reapers. At times he says communications and travel were cut but he also says they gave up entire systems just to buy time to regroup.

So I'm confused, was the whole "You can control the relays from the Citadel" retconned or did everyone but Sovereign just forget about it?
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair.
http://i.imgur.com/45yVrRr.jpg
#2MichoticPosted 3/19/2013 6:40:05 AM
Shhh.

Logic = Reaper Kryptonite
---
PSN - Fakade000
Xbox Live - Fakade
#3megATOMOSPosted 3/19/2013 6:41:35 AM
no idea why the reapers didn't destroy the catalyst or the citadel
---
http://i.imgur.com/8GzlC.gif
#4MrPibbRulesPosted 3/19/2013 6:43:02 AM
It was really something that needed to be explained. Hell, a throw away line along "Vigil's Virus completely changed how the Citadel works so they cannot use it in that way now" would have been better than nothing. As it stands, I have to fanon that on top of several other things. As for Javik, communication for the protheans could be done directly through the Beacons, so unlike other species, a war effort could still be coordinated even when systems were isolated, sacrificing systems may have meant having one system do some extreme BS just to slow them down so other systems could regroup, but that is nothing but my speculation.
---
-Javik: You and the Quarian are...joined? -Shepard: You could say that. -Javik: She calls it your emergency induction port? Shepard: I should go.
#5Lord Lu BuPosted 3/19/2013 6:44:09 AM
If you look at where the Reapers enter the galaxy and see where the Citadel is it makes sense why they didn't go straight for the Citadel. They had all of the council races to get through first. It was a location problem I think.
---
Yes, you can say ASS!
#6MichoticPosted 3/19/2013 6:45:42 AM
You can pretty much travel anywhere via Mass Relay. Given the power of the Reaper forces, they could have easily taken the Citadel first. They divided their forces and still ripped through the defenses of the various species.
---
PSN - Fakade000
Xbox Live - Fakade
#7Squid0039Posted 3/19/2013 6:47:38 AM
My only assumption would be since they can't control the keepers anymore due to what the Protheans did, if they popped up in the Citadel system the Citadel would just close it's arms, thus keeping the reapers out.

Granted when Sovereign did this with the heretic Geth fleet in ME1 he made it inside the arms before they closed, so I dunno.

The real reason is probably because, then they couldn't have started the invasion, and the game, with the invasion of earth.
---
Putress was right. Death to the living!
#8UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2013 6:50:09 AM
Lord Lu Bu posted...
If you look at where the Reapers enter the galaxy and see where the Citadel is it makes sense why they didn't go straight for the Citadel. They had all of the council races to get through first. It was a location problem I think.

The Reapers literally blitz through the human fleet. And even the Turians who hold their own are getting pushed back against only a fraction of the Reaper force.

Sovereign and a fraction of the Geth alone nearly took control of the Citadel. At a time where human fleets were literally just standing by. I don't see why the entire Reaper force couldn't easily just crack the Citadel and take it over. Then control the Relays and fight the weakened Council Races one by one.

Why is sending 1% of your forces to Palaven to very very slowly fight them off in their home turf with their planetary defense systems, full communication and transportation (including immense reinforcements from Krogans) and aid from other parts of the sector over months a better strategy than sending the whole thing to the Citadel and dealing with whatever fleet the Turians throw at you?
---
#9UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2013 6:52:38 AM
In fact at the end of the game the Reapers DO take over the Citadel pretty easily, while still having their forces spread out across the galaxy, beating back all the Council Races.

And the combined might of all your forces is supposed to be weak enough to have no chance of winning (against yet another small fraction of Reapers), and serve only to buy Shepard time to use the crucible.

I don't get why the Reapers would be stopped by these same races assembling a similar fleet a moments notice in desperation to fight a much much much larger amount of Reapers.
---
#10Lord Lu BuPosted 3/19/2013 6:58:55 AM
UnfairRepresent posted...
Sovereign and a fraction of the Geth alone nearly took control of the Citadel. At a time where human fleets were literally just standing by. I don't see why the entire Reaper force couldn't easily just crack the Citadel and take it over. Then control the Relays and fight the weakened Council Races one by one.

That is true. I was just speculating. Who knows then.
---
Yes, you can say ASS!