Best engineer?

#1Mobile_PlatformPosted 3/23/2013 12:56:54 PM
I have all of them (I think) and want to give it a shot, as it's the only class I haven't ever leveled to 20. Thoughts?
---
"Well, you know the old saying: When life gives you lemons... go murder a clown." --Festus Krex
#2DuneManPosted 3/23/2013 12:59:08 PM
Eh, without picking any specifics, the following are usually considered the top dogs(not in order): Geth, Quarian Male, Demolisher, Volus.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#3DEV1ANTGAMERPosted 3/23/2013 1:00:06 PM
Geth, by far, Hunter Mode + Overload is amazing. (Yes, the boosts from Hunter Mode apply to POWERS.)
#4JedisenseiPosted 3/23/2013 1:06:06 PM
FQE is vastly underrated -- I easily top the charts with her most matches. Vanilla humans are nothing to sniff at, either. Demolisher is really fun, though.
#5sheepman23Posted 3/23/2013 1:06:07 PM
Quarian Male is my personal favorite.

The Geth, Demolisher, Volus, and Human are also very good. Most of the others are very capable as well, but the Turian Saboteur is trash.
---
XBL GT - Sheepman2342
#6code_kirinPosted 3/23/2013 1:12:31 PM
QME is top dog

HE is great even with minimal weapon use (please don't ignore your gun though).

GE is great with weapons. Don't use him as a typical caster. Use his abilities to augment weapon use.

Demolisher is good, but she needs a good balance of weapon use and powers. Don't just spam grenades all match. Arc Greenade + gun is your typical strategy. Her combo potential is much weaker than QME's, but she has access to another ammo box.

Volus is good for debuffing and team support. He can also put out good damage due to his debuffs.
#7RophlecktuinePosted 3/23/2013 1:16:53 PM
cain mines FTW
---
My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thegameconomist
#8nathraxhPosted 3/23/2013 1:17:10 PM
Well, I used to think the Salarian engineer was great until I read all the hate for him on here.

Bit of blogfaqs coming up but it's related to the discussion of engineers.

I haven't played this game in about six months and I'm wondering if anyone can explain why exactly he sucks so badly, in their opinion? The decoy ability served me pretty well IIRC, and one of the first games I ever played was a platinum match I stumbled into where the other three guys new each other. They saw my N7 level which was like 17 at the time (I was being kicked from almost every game I joined on bronze, so I said f*** it and went platinum) and actually decided not to kick me as I was playing as a Salarian engineer and they told me to spam decoy. Long story short, we made it to extraction round before we all died. These guys were all N7 characters and an Asari commando with N7 levels in the thousands. If it was good enough for them, what's so wrong with it?
---
Dwarf shortage.
#9sheepman23Posted 3/23/2013 1:23:34 PM(edited)
Against Geth and Cerberus, the Salarian Engineer is actually pretty great. However, he loses his effectiveness with Reapers and Collectors since the enemies don't respond to Decoy as well, and there's less things for him to use Energy Drain on. He also can't make fire explosions quite as easily since the target has to either being a synthetic or have shields/barriers in order to pull it off with Incinerate + Energy Drain.

I don't consider him to be one of the worst characters in the game, but he does have difficulty producing consistent damage from his powers. Decoy is also pretty situational; while it can drive Phantoms nuts, Dragoons don't take any notice of it.
---
XBL GT - Sheepman2342
#10code_kirinPosted 3/23/2013 1:34:57 PM
SE - situational/nonexistent combo potential, low weapon damage output, ED is weak, ED has barely any AoE, situational shield regeneration, low shields, situationally useful/completely useless pet ability

Saboteur can arguably do everything SE does better, aside from regaining shields.