Best engineer?

#21KazumiAmanoPosted 3/23/2013 2:25:27 PM(edited)
On cluttered, smaller maps, like Glacier, Jade, and Goddess, the Talon is indisputably the best Engineer. It's like having infinite cobra missiles aimed at the spawn. Other than that, I give my vote to the MQE or Demolisher. Both have the same game plan, more or less, the Demolisher does more damage but it's slower and he relies on grenades far more, the MQE puts out plenty of damage too and his Tactical Scan is a hell of a debuff for bosses.

GE is a fine character, especially ever since they buffed Fire Explosions. Not really up there with the above three IMO, though.

HE and SE don't put out enough damage. They're quite good on Gold, but they don't compare to the top three Engineers. Sad to say, but in ME3, DPS is king, it's not hard to survive without decoys and in fact killing the enemy before they can kill you is about the most survivable thing you can do. The FQE also puts out bad damage and her turret has got to be worse than the Combat Drone, which at least blows up and sets off explosions.

I do like the Volus, though. He works well in a team setting, debuffing the enemies with simultaneous Recon and Proximity Mine, skyrocketing all the team's DPS.
---
"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly
#22MattheauPosted 3/24/2013 4:00:41 AM
KazumiAmano posted...
The FQE also puts out bad damage and her turret has got to be worse than the Combat Drone, which at least blows up and sets off explosions.

Sentry Turret is much better than Combat Drone. You need to take every shield and damage upgrade for the Drone to be slightly better than the Rank 1 Turret.

The Sentry Turret can set up tech explosions when properly evolved rather than randomly, maybe, setting off one if it happens to get destroyed in relatively short range of an enemy who happens to already be afflicted with a primer ability.

In addition, FQE doesn't have bad damage. Used properly, they can pound out far more damage than most of the other Engineers.

Bad FQE Engineers do far worse damage than good ones. Most of the other Engineers don't really need you to do more than mash one button over and over again, so actually understanding how to play isn't a big factor.
#23KazumiAmanoPosted 3/25/2013 7:40:02 AM
Mattheau posted...
KazumiAmano posted...
The FQE also puts out bad damage and her turret has got to be worse than the Combat Drone, which at least blows up and sets off explosions.

Sentry Turret is much better than Combat Drone. You need to take every shield and damage upgrade for the Drone to be slightly better than the Rank 1 Turret.

The Sentry Turret can set up tech explosions when properly evolved rather than randomly, maybe, setting off one if it happens to get destroyed in relatively short range of an enemy who happens to already be afflicted with a primer ability.

In addition, FQE doesn't have bad damage. Used properly, they can pound out far more damage than most of the other Engineers.

Bad FQE Engineers do far worse damage than good ones. Most of the other Engineers don't really need you to do more than mash one button over and over again, so actually understanding how to play isn't a big factor.

Combat Drone's use is setting off Tech Bursts or Fire Explosions by blowing up, providing a slight distraction while the enemy turns around to shoot it down, and for stunning mooks. It's not the best power but it synergizes very well with the HE. It's also instant, unlike the slow start-up of the Sentry Turret.

How do you figure the FQE puts out far more damage than most of the other Engineers? Or even more damage at all? Probably against the Reapers, because there's a lot of armor there, but that's about it. In terms of mooks, having a shield stripping ability like Overload or Arc Grenades is about the most effective thing possible, and they're widely AoE, making the follow-up Tech Burst slay. There's a big difference between a slight debuff into Incinerate + Cryo Explosion (the weakest explosion outside of Snap Freeze's bugged 2X damage ones), the least of which is that Cryo Blast can be dodged.

How do you figure other Engineers only have to press one button to do well? It's quite inefficient. HE has Overload -> Incinerate or Overload -> Combat Drone explosion (very frequent on Gold/Platinum) and Incinerate -> whatever. GE can basically only do GT's Flamethrower -> Overload, but his Hunter Mode lets him pack a respectable punch with anything he does. Demolisher has Arc Grenade -> Homing Grenade and vice versa, guaranteed death to nigh any mob. MQE has Arc Grenade -> Incinerate and vice versa, one of the quickest mook slays in the game. TM has the Cain Trip Mines, nuking enemies with possibly the strongest AoE attack in the game. Even the tiny Volus puts out great AoE damage with Recon Mine and Proximity Mine's debuff/detonation/stagger.

The FQE's big problem is that Cryo Blast isn't that good. It's an okay debuff, sure, but it does no real damage (important when comparing the Engineers, as everyone else's powers hurt shields or armor pretty hard), can be dodged frequently (on Gold/Platinum, don't know about Silver or Bronze), sets up the worst explosion in the game, and bad AoE even with Radius. Her Turret does pathetic damage, far less than the Geth Turret regardless of no Hunter Mode, and it's fragile to boot. Her only niche is helping to boss kill with Cryo Blast and 2X damage Incinerates, and I'll tell you what, I'd STILL rather have the MQE, Demolisher, GE, Talon, or Volus.
---
"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly
#24CoconutMayPosted 3/25/2013 7:48:43 AM
Mattheau posted...
KazumiAmano posted...

Combat Drone is mainly used for suicide distractions. Phantoms love to attack it, and 400 damage is nothing to sneeze at. Plus, with the Shock upgrade, it staggers Atlas'.
---
Have you seen my sisters? Last I saw them they were standing in a row. They are quite lovely.
#25deathscythe257Posted 3/25/2013 8:20:29 AM
Human Engineer... Favorite kit since day 1. Not necessarily the best though.

Best IMO is Demolisher/Geth Engineer.
---
Yes, this is a signature.