Is Citadel really a must-play?

#1Izick_the_SpyPosted 3/23/2013 4:52:51 PM
Okay, so I'm strapped for cash right now and am comtemplating whether or not I should get suckered in again and pre-order a game, namely Bioshock: Infinite so that I can save some dough. (two of the deals towards trade-ins for this game run out tomorrow)

The problem is that Mass Effect 3 is one of those games I'm going to trade in, but I keep hearing amazing things about this DLC called Citadel. Is it really that fantastic that I need to drop 15 dollars on it, since I'm a long time fan? Can I see most of what there is to see by watching Youtube videos, or is this a piece of DLC that has to be played to fully enjoy?
#2MurphysGhostPosted 3/23/2013 4:54:38 PM
If you're a fan since ME1, and you have a file that has everyone (or nearly everyone) from ME1 and 2 alive... it really is pretty great.

It's a little bit of a rip-off at $15, not gonna lie. But I don't regret getting it.
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#3Star_SagePosted 3/23/2013 4:55:51 PM
In truth? I'm like you, I doubted, and honestly, while the Citadel DLC is fun, it's not game changing. There are...two plot revelations, but they're pretty minor, and serve only to answer one question, who deployed the Genophage, that actually mattered, the other was simply a guess some of us made about Cerb's dealings with Shep, and even then, it wasn't important.

The plot is good, and includes one unique fight, as well as a fun arena, but if you don't plan on keeping your copy? Skip it, it's funny, but it doesn't change the endings, it adds very little to your character's journey, and only really adds romance scenes for Liara, as again, she was the one you're supposed to pick.
#4Izick_the_Spy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 4:57:38 PM
Sad thing is that on Mass Effect 2's release day, I learned that my end-game save from the prior didn't work with the game, and I was too excited to wait and pick up a copy of the first game again, so I said forget it and just stared a new character.

It was kind of a shame, because the character build I got from the beginning of 2 was very similar to the character I had from the first game, except for like three major choices which kind of soured some dialogue and stuff for me in 2 and 3. Nothing horrible, but just a little sad that I could have had the best experience if the save transfer system was implemented a bit better.
#5MaetchPosted 3/23/2013 4:58:05 PM
It's not so crucial that you can't just YouTube the action, but it is fun for being one last ride with Shepard's crew.
#6Izick_the_Spy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 5:12:46 PM
Okay, I think I'll bite the bullet and just trade in my games then. I'm kind of sad I couldn't get to play through Mass Effect 3 or XCOM a second time like I planned, but I'd rather at least play some new stuff before those games completely lose all trade-in value.
#7fennell92Posted 3/23/2013 5:15:32 PM
I bought it and thought it was pretty good, but just about everything that made it great is on youtube, without the price tag and need for multiple run throughs.
#8LazHarshawPosted 3/23/2013 5:22:23 PM
Save for Bioshock, Citadel is fun but it's fan service nothing more nothing less.
#9Izick_the_Spy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 5:25:50 PM
My hope is that the rug isn't pulled out from under me with Bioshock: Infinite.

Even though the small info I know about it, the few videos I've seen (I've tried to stay in the dark about the info on the game once I saw it for the first time), and even with Ken Levine and team seemingly giving it their best, I always am wary towards games with exclusive reviews, or embargos. I know it's really not even a big deal, since the embargo ends a full day ahead of the release date, but I still just don't like the idea of only seeing one source's opinion of a game before dropping cash on it.
#10LazHarshawPosted 3/23/2013 5:30:43 PM
Izick_the_Spy posted...
My hope is that the rug isn't pulled out from under me with Bioshock: Infinite.

Even though the small info I know about it, the few videos I've seen (I've tried to stay in the dark about the info on the game once I saw it for the first time), and even with Ken Levine and team seemingly giving it their best, I always am wary towards games with exclusive reviews, or embargos. I know it's really not even a big deal, since the embargo ends a full day ahead of the release date, but I still just don't like the idea of only seeing one source's opinion of a game before dropping cash on it.

Judging from the leak reactions it looks good and won't disappoint.