Human Vanguard is best tank, not Kroguard or Juggernaut

#1MasterVashPosted 3/29/2013 1:38:34 AM
The Kroguard gets 50% DR for a few seconds after coming out of Biotic Charge, and can fully replenish his barriers every 4.5 seconds.

Juggernaut has massive shields and can (very slowly) replenish them by standing still and doing a weak melee to drain shields.

Human Vanguard can stay invulnerable to every attack that ever comes his way for 100% of the game by Nova-canceling, and even if you do something miraculously stupid and lose barriers, he can get them back every 3 seconds. He doesn't have to not attack either; Nova with Half Blast will keep you invincible long enough for your Biotic Charge to come back. BC, Nova, Nova, rinse and repeat, taking zero damage the entire time unless lag gets you hit the instant you come out of Charge.
---
"Someone at BioWare ate lunch?! Must mean new Ham Sandwich faction!"
-Bahslel, from Reddit
#2AllDay524Posted 3/29/2013 1:43:20 AM
He doesn't draw aggro, nor can he control enemy positioning. Not a tank.
---
'I was looking up Pokemon Hentai today and it was full of Gardevoirs and Pikachus. I'm like what the hell is this? Wheres all the May and Dawn pics?' LittleUnit
#3KazumiAmanoPosted 3/29/2013 2:10:53 AM
The problem with your argument is staggering and bosses. I play Novaguard a lot, more than any other class, and I've seen the pit-falls the character has on Gold. While certainly a strong character, able to slay mooks quickly over a nice AoE, and able to Nova-cancel for things like Turrets and when doing objectives, all it takes to force a down on a Novaguard is a boss priming for a sync kill so as to disallow Biotic Charge (semi-frequently death if another target isn't acquired ASAP), or any of many ways to stagger the Novaguard like the Geth in general, an Atlas rocket, the Collectors in more ways than one, etc.

The Kroguard and Juggernaut don't really mind potential staggers, and the Kroguard gets his damage from range so sync kills (outside of unlucky sneak ups) don't affect him. Thus, they're more consistent tanks, by far. I've soloed Geth Gold with the Kroguard without going down once - on the other hand, I've been soloed by a Geth Prime and his Geth Turret as a Novaguard.
---
"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly
#4YamatoBeatsPosted 3/29/2013 2:45:57 AM
Cabal Vanguard is best tank.
---
"Limits, like fears, are often just an illusion."
#5Ray101492Posted 3/29/2013 2:51:35 AM
YamatoBeats posted...
Cabal Vanguard is best tank.

Nope, volus mercenary.
---
GT/PSN: Ray101492
#6AllDay524Posted 3/29/2013 3:02:22 AM
Your mom is best tank.
---
'I was looking up Pokemon Hentai today and it was full of Gardevoirs and Pikachus. I'm like what the hell is this? Wheres all the May and Dawn pics?' LittleUnit
#7Ray101492Posted 3/29/2013 3:16:55 AM
AllDay524 posted...
Your mom is best tank.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=assZ9bcucmQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DassZ9bcucmQ
---
GT/PSN: Ray101492
#8MattheauPosted 3/29/2013 4:48:26 AM
MasterVash posted...
Human Vanguard can stay invulnerable to every attack that ever comes his way for 100% of the game by Nova-canceling

Nope. You can be staggered out of a cancel.

Besides if not taking damage was the only criteria for tanking, then Infiltrators are amazing tanks.
#9Havoc49JPosted 3/29/2013 5:12:47 AM
Your right in your acessment that the Human Vanguard is 100% invulnerable to damage if given ideal circumstances. But, if my platinum solo runs taught me anything it's that this game is saturated with glitches, bugs, and crap programing. 90% of my human vanguard deaths are due to:

A: Charge not giving shields
B: Being dead at the end of my Charge
C: Enemies ignoring stagger, even if exceeding the force threshold

These all happen multiple times per match and lead to "Oh ****!" moments or deaths. Unreliabilty does not make a good tank.

Don't get me wrong, I can fight two Atlas's or primes, and 15 mooks simultaneously in my sleep, but I'm stagger locking, not tanking.

Also, I'm a firm believer that the recharge build has far more survivability than a half-blast build. After 10 seconds of Charge > Nova your cool down is already under 2 seconds. That means your still going straight from one power to the next, with full I-frame coverage while getting full shields 50% more often and doing far more damage. Food for thought.
#10RophlecktuinePosted 3/29/2013 5:19:06 AM
Not only is default H vanguard not a "tank", both the jugg and kroguard are more survivable.
---
My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thegameconomist