What is this character's specialization? Day 20: Javik

#1SageOfLifePosted 4/1/2013 3:02:49 PM
Is Javik a Bastion or a Nemesis? - Results (74 votes)
Bastion
16.22% (12 votes)
Nemesis
83.78% (62 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Today it all comes to an end by deciding Javik's specialization.

This is NOT about which specialization was better gameplay wise.
The question is which specialization is implied by his backstory and power set.

Javik is similar to Samara in that while he can use assault rifles, his second weapon is a pistol rather than something heavier. Combine this with his biotic saturated power set and I feel Javik is clearly an Adept. So the options are Bastion and Nemesis. If anyone needs a reference;

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Bastion

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Nemesis

Note: Since Javik is the last character, there was something else I wanted to discuss. Zaeed's poll unexpectedly ended in a tie. I'm not particularly happy about having to leave it like that and decide for myself what the answer was, so if fifteen people say they want to see Zaeed's poll redone, I'll spend day 21 on that and move the final results to day 22.

Results so far;
Day 1: Kaidan - Bastion
Day 2: Ashley - Commando
Day 3: Garrus - Commando (by two votes)
Day 4: Wrex - Shock Trooper
Day 5: Tali - Operative (duh)
Day 6: Liara - Bastion
Day 7: Jacob - Shock Trooper
Day 8: Miranda - Bastion
Day 9: Mordin - Medic
Day 10: Jack - Nemesis
Day 11: Grunt - Shock Trooper
Day 12: Thane - Nemesis
Day 13: Samara - Bastion (by seven votes)
Day 14: Morinth - Nemesis
Day 15: Legion - Operative
Day 16: Zaeed - Commando (tie breaker)
Day 17: Kasumi - Operative (duh)
Day 18: James - Shock Trooper
Day 19: EDI - Operative
---
There's no box! There never was!
#2MichoticPosted 4/1/2013 3:05:23 PM
Javik's specialization is Prothean. He'd tell you himself.

Had to get that out of the way. :D

Team Prothean!
---
PSN - Fakade000
Xbox Live - Fakade
#3NafzgerPosted 4/1/2013 3:08:43 PM
Javik is a vanguard.
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
http://www.last.fm/user/Rainbow_Smasher
#4SageOfLife(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 3:09:54 PM
Nafzger posted...
Javik is a vanguard.

If he were a Vanguard he would have either a second heavy weapon or a non-biotic power. Since he has neither, I say he is an Adept.
---
#5ZacTBPosted 4/1/2013 3:15:36 PM
I consider him a Vanguard as well, but since I would have chosen Nemesis whether he is an Adept or Vanguard, it doesn't matter to me anyway.
#6AigonrothPosted 4/1/2013 3:43:37 PM
Technically even Vanguard Shepards start out wielding a heavy weapon (the shotgun) and a Pistol, so technically if we were going by his weapons he would be a Vanguard, he wouldn't need to wield two of Sniper Rifles, Assault Rifles, or Shotguns to be considered a Vanguard.

As going by that qualification Vanguard and Infiltrator Shepards wouldn't be members of their respective class.

Despite that I do actually agree he is an Adept, he is very heavily focused on his powers, and he does lack a combat power.

Anyway Nemesis, Javik is heavily focused on offensive capabilities not defensive ones.
---
"I love nailing Asari, so ageless and superior. Then you get them and they squeal like schoolgirls"- Gianna Parasini, Mass Effect 2.
#7SageOfLife(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 3:45:11 PM
Aigonroth posted...
Technically even Vanguard Shepards start out wielding a heavy weapon (the shotgun) and a Pistol, so technically if we were going by his weapons he would be a Vanguard, he wouldn't need to wield two of Sniper Rifles, Assault Rifles, or Shotguns to be considered a Vanguard.

As going by that qualification Vanguard and Infiltrator Shepards wouldn't be members of their respective class.

Despite that I do actually agree he is an Adept, he is very heavily focused on his powers, and he does lack a combat power.

Anyway Nemesis, Javik is heavily focused on offensive capabilities not defensive ones.

I did explain at the start that I was using both his weapon set and his powers to determine his class. I used the exact same reasoning with Samara and nobody objected.
---
#8NafzgerPosted 4/1/2013 3:47:45 PM
Because Samara is an adept.

Lift grenades = combat/biotic power. He can use a heavy weapon (assault rifle). Javik is a vanguard.
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
http://www.last.fm/user/Rainbow_Smasher
#9SageOfLife(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 3:54:19 PM
Nafzger posted...
Because Samara is an adept.

Lift grenades = combat/biotic power. He can use a heavy weapon (assault rifle). Javik is a vanguard.

No power is classified as being two types at once. Shepard only has access to Lift Grenades if s/he is a Sentinel, which has no innate combat powers. Lift Grenades are biotic and therefor Javik is an Adept.
---
#10ZacTBPosted 4/1/2013 3:58:53 PM
I'd say Javik is the most biotic Vanguard you can get, but I still consider him a Vanguard because of his grenade power, and the heavy weapon just tips him over the edge.