Why do you play Mass Effect?

#1TimeShinigamiPosted 4/10/2013 7:31:54 AM
This incredible article, from Kotaku's ME week, reminded me why I love this series:

kotaku.com/it-was-the-sidekicks-not-the-hero-that-made-me-love-m-471852238

Even more so than the original KotOR, the party members (barring some really jarring changes in personality, especially Liara) feel real. You get a clear sense of their ambitions, how they view the world, and why they've dedicated themselves to Shepard's cause. There's no Shepard without Vakarian, and there's no defeating the Reapers without Wrex and the Krogan badassery.

I play all my single player games on easy, because I play games for their story. Much like interactive novels, I love RPGs. And while the ME series moved away from RPG tropes, mostly, the way I could interact with my party made me need to move this universe forward.
---
Not changing this sig until the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl.
GT- Piferm01
#2edgecrusher02Posted 4/10/2013 7:43:23 AM
thats the same reason i play it. one of the main reasons anyway. to me shepard is like my avatar to interact with the characters. honestly, shepard isnt terribly personal to me in that regard. he/she could be anyone.

i also like it because i think it has some of the best races in sci-fi, takes the time to establish a ton of lore and back story in terms of the galaxys history. it deals with everything from discrimination among the different species to artificial intelligence. the first game revealed something to me that blew me away, finding out that the reapers are basically responsible for our existence. it left me with SO MANY questions that i couldnt wait to find out the answers to regarding the reapers. mainly, who made them? why are they doing this?

i just think bioware created an amazing sci-fi universe that is on the same level as some of the already existing greats.
---
religion is flawed because man is flawed. no gods, no kings... only man.
#3wrexwrecksPosted 4/10/2013 10:02:56 AM
The sidekicks are a big part, but only part of the reason.
---
It's gor-GET - because there are no French people in Westeros.
#4StalinrulesPosted 4/10/2013 10:20:02 AM
The story and characters.
---
Ozzy Rules!
#5MurphysGhostPosted 4/10/2013 10:28:44 AM
Copy-pasted from my response in a similar topic-

I used to go looking for a game where I could fly around the galaxy in a ship and go on adventures. Starcraft kicked ass but you never had that strong of a connection to the characters. Xenosaga and Star Ocean both offered only a handful of planets to visit, ditto Knights of the Old Republic (though KotOR was getting close to the right idea). Tie Fighter never let you land anywhere. Etc.

When I first got my hands on Mass Effect I was really enjoying myself for the first couple hours, but then I got command of the Normandy and hit the Galaxy Map... and I was floored. It really was the game I'd been waiting a decade for.

Not only that, though- Mass Effect gives me basically all the elements I'm looking for- command of a ship cruising the galaxy, decent story / characters, cool universe with a decent amount of ancillary info to pick through, interesting combat, good music, etc.

A lot of games I play excel in one or two areas at the expense of other stuff (Ninja Gaiden has brilliant gameplay and animation, and some great enemy designs- but little else), but Mass Effect does everything at least decently.
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#6bman52480Posted 4/10/2013 3:01:33 PM
I play because it's fun.
---
We don't have TIME for this! The Pasteur's core is going to breach!
#7NafzgerPosted 4/10/2013 3:04:02 PM
I play Mass Effect because there isn't any other game out right now that I want to play.
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
http://www.last.fm/user/Rainbow_Smasher
#8BushidoEffect3Posted 4/10/2013 3:28:45 PM
The characters. investment. Story. setting. artstyle.
---
http://i.minus.com/ipHqzgSb9E2MY.gif
PS4 has already won! http://i.minus.com/iZ4Xc7uzxvJUA.gif
#9MJOLNRVIIPosted 4/10/2013 3:31:24 PM
I started it because I didn't hate Bioware at the time, and stuck with it because of the ending of Mass Effect 1.
---
https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/9/6/aAs3utoGeU-tkzYOYIFfCA2.png
#10Halo_ForeverPosted 4/11/2013 8:02:20 AM
TimeShinigami posted...
This incredible article, from Kotaku's ME week, reminded me why I love this series:

For my part it was actually the other way around, I saw Shepard as a RPG main who finally wasn't an utter moron by force, didn't have to go under cover or get captured (tropes that I absolutely hate in any RPG if compulsory) and made a pretty badass female main character too. Additionally the universe while not scientifically very sound (conservation of momentum is a *****) was quite interesting and the story wasn't mentally deficient either.

Of course then ME2 and ME3 ****ed that up royally, but ME1 was a sight to behold.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....