Just finished AC3, and considering Mass Effect's plot....(MASSIVE PLOT SPOILERS)

#1FearOfTheLightPosted 4/11/2013 4:47:26 PM
Is it just me or does it seem the developers are trying extremely hard to impress us with a 'larger than life' plot line for most of their franchises subsequent games?

I mean everything with the Assassins Creed plot line had been fine and dandy till the revelation of a cyclic Solar Flare of monumental proportions and the mystery of the 'Ones who came before' plus their motives.

In some ways it kinda resembles the urgency of Mass Effect 3's plot line in that there is a much bigger threat than normal beings of this universe that we need to contend with:

For AC
-Assassins vs. Templar struggle and legacies.
-The end and rebirth of the World
-A convulting conclusion to a beloved/likeable character and his crew.

For ME
-The Final Frontier for Humanity and their successive integration into the Galactic Community and it's species.
- The threat of the Reapers and their thralls, the mystery of the protheans.
-A convulting conclusion to a beloved/likeable character and his crew.
(Depending on your outlook of the ME franchises end).

Anyone get the same vibe?
---
---
"When I'm walking a dark road, I am a man who walks alone" - Iron Maiden
#2spfurm01Posted 4/11/2013 4:51:44 PM
Convulting?

The only real similarity for me was that they both had disappointing endings
---
We know Gavorn's tricks! We leave!
#3bman52480Posted 4/11/2013 4:53:56 PM
Some similaraties I suppose, but in Mass Effect the Reapers were introduced in the first game, and it was pretty much laid out that there were galactic cycles of extinction by Liara very early in ME1. So I feel like it was less contrived than in ME.

in AC, "the ones who came before" were introduced pretty early, and there were hints as well that they had some evil motives, but the whole "world ending solar flare, and we can turn it off with a button" was introduced pretty late, so similar to the catalyst solution.

So I guess I'm saying the similarities might be more in the "magic button" solutions to the problems instead of how the source was introduced.

I was pretty surprised that Desmond died in AC3, but not at all surprised that Shepherd did since it was announced beforehand that it was the end of the trilogy.
---
We don't have TIME for this! The Pasteur's core is going to breach!
#48bitPunkPosted 4/11/2013 5:00:34 PM
FearOfTheLight posted...
Is it just me or does it seem the developers are trying extremely hard to impress us with a 'larger than life' plot line for most of their franchises subsequent games?
Anyone get the same vibe?
---

This is a common strategy for story telling in most entertainment media. It can be as simple as saving your best story for last on a News show, or as complicated as slowly introducing concepts and conflicts which culminate in a final resolution (the Harry Potter Books).

The idea is to increase the sense of danger/urgency with the intention of causing the viewer/player to become more vested in the program.

In ME1: the climax is the possible destruction of THE CITADEL
ME2 turns it up with the possible death of ALL HUMANS
ME3 turns it up with the possible death of ALL SENTIENT LIFE

Imagine if they introduced these topics in reverse order. "I just saved the galaxy, saving all the humans will be no biggie."

It can be difficult to increase the sense of urgency when you have amazing stories. Many writers fall short when they try to top themselves. The ME series is a clear example of why stories need to be mapped out well ahead of time instead of developed as they go.

A great example of constantly ramping up the tension and transitioning between resolved and new conflicts while still keeping interest, is the TV series Breaking Bad (which has amazing story telling).
---
Xbox 360 GT: o 8bitPunk o
Need a new Emoticon? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
#5iamdanthamanPosted 4/11/2013 5:50:54 PM
spfurm01 posted...
Convulting?

Convoluted/Revolting

I don't know what the TC is talking about though, the Solar Flare thing was introduced at the end of the first game, it wasn't something that was just thrown in at the end. Just like the reapers, It wasn't the huge problems, it was the way they handled it, in both series, there was a perfect opportunity to transition into a sequel trilogy where humanity struggled to defeat an impossibly powerful enemy and eventually triumph after a long, arduous struggle, but in both cases, they decided that they had to end it now, and have the Main Character go out like a punk with a meaningless sacrifice that was never foreshadowed at all.
---
All your base are belong to us