ITT: I boil down each ending decision to its most basic parts. (uberspoilers)

#21Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 4/16/2013 10:47:11 PM
TC your problem is you think the Reapers are the embodiment of evil. Honestly how are they different from geth...? "They want synthesis so we can't choose synthesis otherwise they get what they want and we can't let Reapers have what they want even if the motives are pure!".
---
"i've had sex with a chick who was a psy major, so yeah i think i know what aspergers is" -LiquidFuze180
#22PoopMasterGoetzPosted 4/16/2013 11:14:15 PM
Shigmiya64 posted...
People need to get this through their heads: Control is not a bad choice because the Illusive Man wanted it. How dense do you have to be to honestly think that just because someone bad holds a belief, that belief is automatically bad by association?

The problem with the Illusive Man's plan is that he is wasting resources and putting himself at odds with those he should be working with, at a time when cooperation is essential, in the pursuit of a goal that there was no evidence would be achievable. When Shepard meets the Catalyst and it tells him in no uncertain terms that, yes, you could achieve that goal, that doesn't make Shepard a hypocrite if he does so.

Imagine if your car got totalled, and your friend wants to take the money you have for a new car to invest in a scientist who claims he can use it to build a real, working flying car like the DeLorean from Back to the Future 2. You'd think he was an idiot, right? But if that scientist turns out to be right and offers you the car anyway, are you gonna say, "No, my friend was foolish for honestly believing you'd pull that off, so I don't want it?" No, you're either going to say "Hell yes I want the flying car!" or "No, because <a reason having to do with the faults of the car, not your friend>."

Well put.
---
Gamertag: Triple Escape
http://www.facebook.com/gotacoolname
#23roo10158Posted 4/17/2013 5:03:47 AM
Shigmiya64 posted...
People need to get this through their heads: Control is not a bad choice because the Illusive Man wanted it. How dense do you have to be to honestly think that just because someone bad holds a belief, that belief is automatically bad by association?

The problem with the Illusive Man's plan is that he is wasting resources and putting himself at odds with those he should be working with, at a time when cooperation is essential, in the pursuit of a goal that there was no evidence would be achievable. When Shepard meets the Catalyst and it tells him in no uncertain terms that, yes, you could achieve that goal, that doesn't make Shepard a hypocrite if he does so.

Imagine if your car got totalled, and your friend wants to take the money you have for a new car to invest in a scientist who claims he can use it to build a real, working flying car like the DeLorean from Back to the Future 2. You'd think he was an idiot, right? But if that scientist turns out to be right and offers you the car anyway, are you gonna say, "No, my friend was foolish for honestly believing you'd pull that off, so I don't want it?" No, you're either going to say "Hell yes I want the flying car!" or "No, because <a reason having to do with the faults of the car, not your friend>."

Also, Adolf Hitler believed that unemployment was a bad thing and should be taken care of. Does that mean believing in addressing unemployment being important is a bad thing to believe in?
---
My opinions on Mass Effect in a nutshell: ME1- great, ME2- masterpiece, ME3- great but underrated. The post-extended cut ending is just fine, but a little weak.
#24CaelestinePosted 4/17/2013 8:13:30 AM
jrr18 posted...
Caelestine posted...
You know, if one were to add Fallout's opening and ending quotes, "War, war never ends." or something similar. These bleaks outcome is kind of more palatable. It is just that the previous two games with Shepard "winning" against all odds that most of the fans expect a straight forward win. It's more of a inconsistency that kind of got some fans rile up.

It's changes not ends in the fallout quote.

Good call. Actual typo too many bloody ending discussion. Temporary brain wash :)
#25byron97Posted 4/17/2013 8:23:50 AM
Rogue Mutt posted...
Mostly agree, except for the BOLD part. Implying that the Synthesis ending does exactly what the Reaper do to organics is just not correct.

Actually, it is correct. The only one who suggests Synthesis as a solution is the Catalyst, the creator of, controller of and voice of the Reapers.

The Catalyst presents Synthesis out of the blue to Shepard, attempts to persuade Shepard it is the best course of action ("it is the perfect solution"), and it's description of Synthesis being the "final evolution of life" basically equates to Sovereign's words from ME1 ("we are the pinnacle of evolution and existence").

Synthesis is the Catalyst's solution, and only the Catalyst's solution. The Reaper harvest was the Catalyst's previous solution. By choosing Synthesis, Shepard is only doing exactly what the Reapers wanted all along.
#26CoconutMayPosted 4/17/2013 8:36:22 AM
StirFriday posted...
Destroy: Turns Shepard into a genocidal war criminal instead of the hero he was meant to be, robbing your best friend Joker of his true love

Control: Means that the biggest jackass in the galaxy, TIM, is right all along and you're basically spitting in Anderson's face. If you're a RenShep, this also means you become a dictator

Synthesis: Stripping everybody of their free will, turns Shepard into a major hypocrite if he chose to destroy the Heretic Geth in Legion's ME2 loyalty mission, means you agree with goddamn Saren, means the Reapers win because you're doing exactly what they wanted (the assimilation of synthetics and organics)

Refusal: No matter what you do, no matter how hard you try, you will fail unless some deus ex machina comes along and saves you

Control isn't siding with TIM, it's the opposite of what he wants. TIM wants to use the Reapers to kill all aliens, Shep controls them so that there is no more war.

And the way I view synthesis, everything just receives an "upgrade"; it doesn't fuse already existing organics with synthetics, it just gives organics synthetic parts and synthetics organic parts, so you get the best of both worlds (The reasoning and emotions of organics and the processing speed of synthetics).
---
Have you seen my sisters? Last I saw them they were standing in a row. They are quite lovely.
#27DestinPosted 4/17/2013 8:38:48 AM
byron97 posted...
By choosing Synthesis, Shepard is only doing exactly what the Reapers wanted all along.

doesn't make it right/wrong.
---
Destin the Valiant
#28ElDuderinoPosted 4/18/2013 1:43:09 AM
Here's the opinion on the ending I agree with most:

http://galacticpillow.com/2012/04/02/editorial-the-reapers-advocate-a-different-take-on-the-mass-effect-3-ending/

thanks for linking that
---
yeah, well, you know, that's just like...uhh...your opinion man
#29AoENIACPosted 4/18/2013 1:49:58 AM
Control: Space Cop Shepard.

Destroy: Highlander!

Synthesis: I never asked for this (what a shame).

Refusal: Live free or die hard, starring Bruce Willis.
---
Is there something about the way I type that makes it sound angry? Maybe it's just something about the way you read.
#30AoENIACPosted 4/18/2013 2:00:13 AM
roo10158 posted...
Here's the opinion on the ending I agree with most:

http://galacticpillow.com/2012/04/02/editorial-the-reapers-advocate-a-different-take-on-the-mass-effect-3-ending/

I disagree with one big thing in that, that the Catalyst surrendered because of the Crucible. If you choose Refusal, it reveals that it had the power the entire time to seal off the devices involved with the ending choice, and also to trap Shepard in the now inert Citadel to die of exposure.
The Catalyst surrendered, it seems to me, because it saw a chance to fulfill its purpose and, in many ways, wants nothing more than to complete its purpose and end its own existence. Yeah, I think the Catalyst is borderline suicidal.
---
Is there something about the way I type that makes it sound angry? Maybe it's just something about the way you read.