Cryo Blast appreciation thread.

#1NefhithPosted 4/28/2013 7:41:53 PM
So I unlocked the character I wanted since I started playing the game, the Quarian (female) Engineer.

At the beginning I was all like "OH GOD WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH IT HAS A TURRET GOD DAMN IT I CAN HAVE MY OWN DAMN TURRETS!". After getting about 90% of the characters of the game and unlocking her, I was really happy of getting her, but after trying the N7 Paladin and the Alliance Infiltration Unit and their almighty snap freeze, as well as the vorcha/geth soldier and their also almighty flamethrower I was all like "now she looks a bit... meh".

I've never been so wrong. I ran her with this build: http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#Engineer/Quarian/KOPFF/Scorpion1AJ5AI5///// and played against cerberus. It was the funnier game I've ever played thanks to the spammability of Cryo Blast, the cryo explosions I did that saved my a** and cryo blasting phantoms so they get their shield bubble up and start shooting at them with the Scorpion probably was the best feeling in the world.

Also, the turret helped a lot to kill guardians by throwing it behind them and freezing them as soon as they gave me their back.

I don't know how people can say it isn't useful, really.
#2JetblackmoonPosted 4/28/2013 7:46:35 PM
Bleh, the Turret disgusts me with how bad it is. No reason to waste time throwing it behind Guardians when I can just shoot them in the face with an AP mod on whatever gun I'm using.

Still, I definitely think she's an underrated class. Never ran her on Platinum, but I do just fine with her on Gold.
---
Hey, everyone! This store discriminates against the poor!
#3Nefhith(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 7:55:00 PM
Jetblackmoon posted...
Bleh, the Turret disgusts me with how bad it is. No reason to waste time throwing it behind Guardians when I can just shoot them in the face with an AP mod on whatever gun I'm using.

I was using the Scorpion, which I unlocked a pack before the quarian popped out, so probably there's a way to hit them with it but I still don't know how (so I just basically threw the turret behind them).

It has a poor AI, but it got me a few good kills (and even saved my life a few times). Also, you can use it as a shooting decoy, so I find it worth it (at least for the lack of shields the quarians have).
#4ClunyPosted 4/28/2013 8:04:47 PM
The shock evolution on the turret is pretty useful for the more aggressive enemies.
#5twinstarnumber1Posted 4/28/2013 8:06:27 PM
Nefhith posted...
Jetblackmoon posted...

I was using the Scorpion, which I unlocked a pack before the quarian popped out, so probably there's a way to hit them with it but I still don't know how (so I just basically threw the turret behind them)

With the scorpion, fire it at their feet as they walk towards you, or just behind them the explosion will get them. Not the most efficient way of killing them but works. Also if you stagger them, if you're fast enough you can shoot them in the face as they expose themselves.
---
XBL Gamertag: mydarkstar --- PSN: mydarkstar
#6sheepman23Posted 4/28/2013 8:13:34 PM
Try her with the Adas equipped w/ Incendiary Rounds. You can Cryo Blast, shoot, prime for fire explosion, and then cast Incinerate for double damage + fire explosion. Plus the Adas staggers and strips shields, which covers up two of her biggest flaws.

I've been saying it for a long time, but the QFE is one of the most underrated kits in the game.
---
XBL GT - Sheepman2342
#7RophlecktuinePosted 4/28/2013 9:28:33 PM(edited)
cryo blast sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1sakZ8688U

just one of those situations where people fall in love with something bc they think its under appreciated. Its a bad move, even if the turret is also bad.
---
My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thegameconomist
#8FullMetalManiaPosted 4/28/2013 10:10:35 PM
Don't listen to Dorick.

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#Infiltrator/Human/FRMLF/ReegarCarbine10BH5AL5//ShotgunRailAmp3/PowerAmplifierModule4/ShockTrooperUpgrade5/

Use with Incendiary Ammo. Cryo Blast is the best single-target debuff in the game, period. Tactical Scan is close, but it doesn't weaken armor by 50%. The only boss that doesn't completely crumple under a few Reegar clips and Sticky Grenades is Banshees. Everything else cowers before that which is Cryo Blast.
---
"Welcome to the internet, where everyone gets off to EVERYTHING."
~kingkaze187
#9RophlecktuinePosted 4/28/2013 10:50:13 PM
FullMetalMania posted...
Don't listen to Dorick.

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#Infiltrator/Human/FRMLF/ReegarCarbine10BH5AL5//ShotgunRailAmp3/PowerAmplifierModule4/ShockTrooperUpgrade5/

Use with Incendiary Ammo. Cryo Blast is the best single-target debuff in the game, period. Tactical Scan is close, but it doesn't weaken armor by 50%. The only boss that doesn't completely crumple under a few Reegar clips and Sticky Grenades is Banshees. Everything else cowers before that which is Cryo Blast.

You weaken armor by 25% w cryo blast, not 50%. Also note that this means weapons that ignore armor defense dont really receive as much of a buff from cryo blast. That includes your teammates, and your teammates ammo, if they brought piercing.

Calling it the best "single target debuff" does not make it a good move. Powers that debuff multiple targets are just as viable against a single target.

Here are the other debuffs:

1:Tactical scan lasts 25 seconds as opposed to 8, and you have a better chance of calling your teammates attention to the target, since it gets highlighted through walls and with a very visible flag. Would always prefer tac scan over cryo blast.

2: Prox mine. While the debuff is only 20%, you hit all targets in the affected radius, even through cover, and do decent up front damage. Since you dont need a lock to fire it, you can hit phantoms by aiming to the side until the lock is off of them or on a nearby target. I believe its also a trigger.

3: Warp. BOTH a primer and a trigger. Incendiary ammo glitch. Does DoT, stopping shield regen and doing damage Warp is a significantly better power.

4: Recon mine. How do you even compare the two? Recon mine is many, many more times beneficial to the team than cryo blast, and does significant damage to large groups.

5: Sabotage. Increase tech damage for your team by 50%, stun mooks, take control of synthetics. AoE, turns synthetics into mini bombs too. Only reason the power gets a bad rap is bc its always put with unsynergistic powers. You know how nice it wouldve been to have this over cryo blast on the QFE?

6: Snap freeze: better in every way.

Im sure im missing something, dont care, its also better than cryo blast.
---
My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thegameconomist
#10FullMetalManiaPosted 4/28/2013 11:08:14 PM
Rophlecktuine posted...
You weaken armor by 25% w cryo blast, not 50%. Also note that this means weapons that ignore armor defense dont really receive as much of a buff from cryo blast. That includes your teammates, and your teammates ammo, if they brought piercing.

Calling it the best "single target debuff" does not make it a good move. Powers that debuff multiple targets are just as viable against a single target.

Here are the other debuffs:

1:Tactical scan lasts 25 seconds as opposed to 8, and you have a better chance of calling your teammates attention to the target, since it gets highlighted through walls and with a very visible flag. Would always prefer tac scan over cryo blast.

2: Prox mine. While the debuff is only 20%, you hit all targets in the affected radius, even through cover, and do decent up front damage. Since you dont need a lock to fire it, you can hit phantoms by aiming to the side until the lock is off of them or on a nearby target. I believe its also a trigger.

3: Warp. BOTH a primer and a trigger. Incendiary ammo glitch. Does DoT, stopping shield regen and doing damage Warp is a significantly better power.

4: Recon mine. How do you even compare the two? Recon mine is many, many more times beneficial to the team than cryo blast, and does significant damage to large groups.

5: Sabotage. Increase tech damage for your team by 50%, stun mooks, take control of synthetics. AoE, turns synthetics into mini bombs too. Only reason the power gets a bad rap is bc its always put with unsynergistic powers. You know how nice it wouldve been to have this over cryo blast on the QFE?

6: Snap freeze: better in every way.

Im sure im missing something, dont care, its also better than cryo blast.

The final evolution of Cryo Blast states it weakens armor by an ADDITIONAL 25%. You're also twisting my words. I did not say that it was the best power that also debuffs. Unlike you, I'm not so biased as to ignore any bad qualities in the same way you ignore good qualities. It is the best DEBUFF.

1. Okay, it lasts less time, which is fine because Cryo Blast has a hilariously short cooldown anyway (as well as an extremely fast animation) so I'm not losing HUGE AMOUNTS OF DPS by having to reuse it.

2. Any argument saying that Proximity Mine is good for its damage is wrong. It does detonate, which is nice, and it does area debuffs, but I'm not arguing that Cryo Blast roflstomps groups, just single targets. Also: Radius on Cryo Blast means you debuff Phantoms ALWAYS, unless they put up their shield, in which case I'm not sure.

3. Warp is one of the best powers in the game, I'm not saying that Cryo Blast makes everything obsolete. Still not as good a debuff. It gives 15% bonus damage but is completely blocked by Phantoms, as well as Banshees and Praetorians when applicable. You're not paying attention to what I'm saying.

4. Recon Mine is excellent for groups, but is horribly unwieldy besides.

5. You're joking, right? What Tech powers are commonly used for damage? Flamer? Maybe Incinerate, but at that point you're using a very dedicated build yourself and Sabotage would be either relatively unnoticed or unnecessary. The Quarian Female Infiltrator has Sabotage that she can use out of Cloak but people STILL think Sabotage is bad.

6. NOT better in every way, because you're not getting the 25% damage bonus from all sources. Snap Freeze is as highly lauded as it is because of bugged Cryo Explosions and them alone, don't insult me by insinuating otherwise. It's not a bad power besides that, but the Paladin wouldn't be half as good without that free damage.
---
"Welcome to the internet, where everyone gets off to EVERYTHING."
~kingkaze187