Cryo Blast appreciation thread.

#21sheepman23Posted 4/29/2013 6:47:23 AM
Rophlecktuine posted...
You realize using the ADAS on the QFE was an idea sheepman got from out of my platinum solo build vids right? Also, I skip cryo blast on the build and use turret with shockwave and flamethrower.

I did, but I still don't like it that you skipped Cryo Blast in that video instead of Sentry Turret. You could've easily used CB and then the Adas for more shield damage (and more powerful fire explosions).

3 or 4 points in Sentry Turret is enough for a little distraction.
---
XBL GT - Sheepman2342
#22RophlecktuinePosted 4/29/2013 7:14:39 AM
sheepman23 posted...
Rophlecktuine posted...
You realize using the ADAS on the QFE was an idea sheepman got from out of my platinum solo build vids right? Also, I skip cryo blast on the build and use turret with shockwave and flamethrower.

I did, but I still don't like it that you skipped Cryo Blast in that video instead of Sentry Turret. You could've easily used CB and then the Adas for more shield damage (and more powerful fire explosions).

3 or 4 points in Sentry Turret is enough for a little distraction.

Considering ADAS ignores armor defense, is cryo blast really that important? As I recall I didnt even have trouble stripping shields on the Primes, and having a turret that can prime targets is more important to me than relying on the worst debuff in the game to boost (but not really boost, remember?) my incinerate.
---
My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thegameconomist
#23sheepman23Posted 4/29/2013 7:23:43 AM
Rophlecktuine posted...
Considering ADAS ignores armor defense, is cryo blast really that important? As I recall I didnt even have trouble stripping shields on the Primes, and having a turret that can prime targets is more important to me than relying on the worst debuff in the game to boost (but not really boost, remember?) my incinerate.

Except the turret doesn't prime targets reliably at all. There's a very, very small window to actually cause a fire explosion, and it only works if you can use Incinerate at the right time. If I ever spec 6 points into ST, I always go for rockets instead.

A 25% debuff is basically taking every bit of damage to the target x1.25. That affects the Adas, whatever secondary weapon you were using (I believe it was the CSMG or Hurricane), Incinerate (on top of the extra 100%), and even Sentry Turret if you spec some points into it.
---
XBL GT - Sheepman2342
#24RophlecktuinePosted 4/29/2013 7:39:17 AM(edited)
sheepman23 posted...
Rophlecktuine posted...

Except the turret doesn't prime targets reliably at all. There's a very, very small window to actually cause a fire explosion, and it only works if you can use Incinerate at the right time. If I ever spec 6 points into ST, I always go for rockets instead.

A 25% debuff is basically taking every bit of damage to the target x1.25. That affects the Adas, whatever secondary weapon you were using (I believe it was the CSMG or Hurricane), Incinerate (on top of the extra 100%), and even Sentry Turret if you spec some points into it.

Doesnt have to prime reliably, I think you do like 100 per second w flamethrower, which is similar to the extra damage given to the adas when the adas is shooting shields + cryo debuff. Not very much dps at all, and you rely on casting cryo blast on every single target to receive those benefits. Would rather just keep shooting my gun and not have to worry about cryo blasting every target.

that "50%" debuff to armor that everyone gets so excited about is cut in half on a qfe using adas and incinerate, bc those both ignore armor defense. Real good power still right? And I did use the hurricane at the end of that vid, but realized I was being more effective using the adas from range, if you rewatch you see.
---
#25code_kirinPosted 4/29/2013 9:07:30 AM
Rophlecktuine posted...
code_kirin posted...
"A host max-damage GI can also cheese a gold phantom using the following setup:

Max damage GI + javelin X + barrel + SR Rail II + SR Gear VorMax damage GI(with speed hunter mode) + javelin X +barrel + SR Rail III+ SR Gear Vcloak + proxy mine + shoot bubble (no body hit needed) = instant kill

1687.5 health

1545.8 * 1.35 * (1 + 0.8 + 0.225 + 0.175 + 0.25 + 0.2 + 0.15) * 1.2 = 7,011.74887,011.7488 / 4 = 1,815.5421 (>1687.5)"

The 1.2 is proxy mine's debuff and the 1.35 is sniper damage + geth damage bonus. Without the debuff it wouldn't do enough health damage to kill a Phantom.

It doesnt directly mention that the phantoms block is not stopping the proximity mine though.

I started a thread on BSN about the subject, so far no one has said she doesnt block prox mine or cryo blast:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/16612483/1#16613793

The vast majority of BSN doesn't know anything useful, frankly. I'll ask the general testing thread in a bit. I'm sure I've seen other claims that power ignore fields do not block debuffs, but I have no idea where the threads are.

As for TS vs CB, you will not be using TS even half as much as CB. CB has low enough cooldown to use on every single enemy you encounter, which, contrary to what you keep suggesting, is not a flaw. That TS animation makes it unusable against a vast majority of the wave budget on any difficulty.
#26RophlecktuinePosted 4/29/2013 9:44:17 AM
code_kirin posted...
Rophlecktuine posted...
code_kirin posted...
"A host max-damage GI can also cheese a gold phantom using the following setup:

Max damage GI + javelin X + barrel + SR Rail II + SR Gear VorMax damage GI(with speed hunter mode) + javelin X +barrel + SR Rail III+ SR Gear Vcloak + proxy mine + shoot bubble (no body hit needed) = instant kill

1687.5 health

1545.8 * 1.35 * (1 + 0.8 + 0.225 + 0.175 + 0.25 + 0.2 + 0.15) * 1.2 = 7,011.74887,011.7488 / 4 = 1,815.5421 (>1687.5)"

The 1.2 is proxy mine's debuff and the 1.35 is sniper damage + geth damage bonus. Without the debuff it wouldn't do enough health damage to kill a Phantom.

It doesnt directly mention that the phantoms block is not stopping the proximity mine though.

I started a thread on BSN about the subject, so far no one has said she doesnt block prox mine or cryo blast:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/16612483/1#16613793

The vast majority of BSN doesn't know anything useful, frankly. I'll ask the general testing thread in a bit. I'm sure I've seen other claims that power ignore fields do not block debuffs, but I have no idea where the threads are.

As for TS vs CB, you will not be using TS even half as much as CB. CB has low enough cooldown to use on every single enemy you encounter, which, contrary to what you keep suggesting, is not a flaw. That TS animation makes it unusable against a vast majority of the wave budget on any difficulty.

So youre claim is that cryo blast is a better debuff bc i can use it on a centurion?
No. why dont I just kill the centurion? Debuffs become valuable on enemies with high health, claiming that cryo blast is better than tac scan cause you wouldnt tac scan a husk is silly.
---
#27Nefhith(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 10:08:46 AM
Rophlecktuine posted...
So youre claim is that cryo blast is a better debuff bc i can use it on a centurion?
No. why dont I just kill the centurion? Debuffs become valuable on enemies with high health, claiming that cryo blast is better than tac scan cause you wouldnt tac scan a husk is silly.

Well, I wouldn't directly kill a posessed abomination that is humping my leg like a dog, I can use cryo blast to just spam it all around the battlefield, over the enemies' covers and since it has a really low cooldown in comparison with incinerate is a good way to make an enemy roll and then follow it with incinerate which will always hit that way.
#28sheepman23Posted 4/29/2013 10:21:18 AM(edited)
Dorick, why is it that you defend Pull but hate Cryo Blast? They do nearly the same thing to unprotected enemies, except Cryo Blast provides a debuff for everything.
---
XBL GT - Sheepman2342
#29RophlecktuinePosted 4/29/2013 10:26:50 AM(edited)
Nefhith posted...
Rophlecktuine posted...

Well, I wouldn't directly kill a posessed abomination that is humping my leg like a dog, I can use cryo blast to just spam it all around the battlefield, over the enemies' covers and since it has a really low cooldown in comparison with incinerate is a good way to make an enemy roll and then follow it with incinerate which will always hit that way.

Maybe if you had used incinerate to make the abomination stop running, and then shot it with your gun, they would die at a faster rate and you wouldnt get overwhelmed by them.

Its about one second faster than incinerate to come out at 2.5 seconds, thats hardly an issue in an actual fight.

So you would put six ranks into a power to make a select number of enemies dodge?
---
#30RophlecktuinePosted 4/29/2013 10:28:15 AM(edited)
sheepman23 posted...
Dorick, why is it that you defend Pull but hate Cryo Blast? They do nearly the same thing to unprotected enemies, except Cryo Blast provides a debuff for everything.

Because pull kills lifted targets on its own, can prime BE, which is viable on kits that have reave, warp, and biotic charge, still gives you all of the juggling benefits that you say cryo blast has, and you can do all this by rank 3, letting you take a different power to rank 5. I also use pull to stop barrier/shield regen, and to clear swarmers.

And no, i dont think pull is a very good power either. Would i rather have pull and incinerate on the QFE? yes. I could staggerlock a phantom with the adas into a lift from pull, and then finish her off or take a new position.
---