project phoenix vanguard

#31i5tioneyes(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 6:05:54 PM
Havoc49J posted...
Not to be rude, but an Incediary ammo triggered fire explosion only does 590.63 / 591 / 591 / 1181.25 damage. Your also giving these weak fire explosions priority over your biotic explosions while completely crippling your weapon damage and missing on a 25% multiplicative Melee bonus.

If your going to be meleeing a fair amount a light shotgun (Wraith) with the Onni-Blade will give you better results than a pistol.

Smash only gains 165 / 247.5 / 433.12 / 433.12 damage with the addition of the Power Maginifer. Or equivialent to a unboosted and unmodded scorpion shot again armor. Your losing more than that on every Melee by skipping the omni-blade and your also stuck using a charge weapon on a class that requires alot of rolls, power animations, and Melee which can prevent you from charging your weapon, or at least severly limiting your fire rate.

A Wraith shot will do 1675.8 damage to Shields and Barriers compared to an Acolytes 2590.88. And I'm sure you can get two Wraith shots off before your first Acolyte shot hits.

If your looking for a pistol the Talon would be a far superior choice.

well if i smash, then i charge without the acolyte charged so im not sacrificing any biotic explosions for weak fire explosions. probably should have mentioned that but yeah

also keep in mind that when holding down the right trigger then charging, the acolyte shot hits before you connect with charge, likely removing the protections on any nonboss enemy. this is why my cerbguard is so effective against phantoms, turrets, and geth in general

also my wraith is only level 3 and my talon level 4. i used to run talon on him but it just didnt work out for me (and i love that gun). it didnt have enough dps against armor and the acolyte is straight better against protections as well as lighter. i just love having 200% cooldown on him and now that the weight increasing mods work sometimes i dont want to risk having bad cooldowns for a small melee damage bonus.

it basically comes down to with an acolyte you get damage bonus to your powers and melee, fire explosions whenever you charge as well as max cooldown speed and protection removing abilities.

a shotgun on the other hand gives you a versatile weapon and more melee damage but no power damage bonus and increases your cooldowns (potentially severely depending if the weight bug works or not)

just a matter of preference i guess
#32i5tioneyes(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 6:10:42 PM
Nafzger posted...
Yeah but he has a whole Acolyte gimmick thing going on, so there is no reasoning with him.

the acolyte gimmick is actually really good for vanguards, particularly the cerbguard. i use talon instead on the pd spamming slayer, but after using both weapons on my cerbguard, i just liked the acolyte alot more. needless to say and without going into braggingmode specifics, i do extremely well with the incendiary acolyte cerbguard.

send me an invite later tonight (gt: NoSagaji), and i will demonstrate that this setup while maybe not ideal in your eyes is still very effective.
#33NafzgerPosted 4/30/2013 6:17:56 PM
Effective, maybe. Optimal? Not by a longshot.
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
http://www.last.fm/user/Rainbow_Smasher
#34i5tioneyes(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 6:18:53 PM
Nafzger posted...
Effective, maybe. Optimal? Not by a longshot.

thats exactly what i said at the end of the post immediately preceding yours...
#35NafzgerPosted 4/30/2013 6:20:56 PM
You added an "in your eyes". I'm not saying it's not optimal in my eyes. It isn't optimal period. You're doing less damage with your build and weapon loadout than I'm doing with mine. Numbers don't lie.
---
#36i5tioneyes(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 6:44:30 PM
Nafzger posted...
You added an "in your eyes". I'm not saying it's not optimal in my eyes. It isn't optimal period. You're doing less damage with your build and weapon loadout than I'm doing with mine. Numbers don't lie.

ok so i cursorily and peacefully posted a defense of my build and you nitpicked something out of it that elicited such a rude response.

since i had never defined the parameters of "optimal" or "ideal" and just used the term generally, your assumption that i was referring that optimal = numbers and damage is unfounded. that's why i said "in your eyes" because damage output is what you believe to be optimal. i happen to agree with that definition in many circumstances in this game but i had never incorporated that into my argument, so you are essentially getting riled up over something you're imagining or assuming that i am insinuating.

i never said my build is better than your build or whatnot. in fact my build is based off your build and i posted it because i happened to find it really fun and quite good. still the tone with which you accused me of being "not able to be reasoned with due to acolyte gimmick" as well as the automatic retort in the quote above is somewhat disheartening.
#37NafzgerPosted 5/1/2013 7:06:58 AM
Your Acolyte gimmick is a gimmick because I've seen you mention using it on other characters.
---
#38i5tioneyes(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 11:15:34 AM
Nafzger posted...
Your Acolyte gimmick is a gimmick because I've seen you mention using it on other characters.

ah, quick to come down on others while still failing to acknowledge your "saltus in demonstrando"

i never said the acolyte gimmick isn't a gimmick. i was pointing out how you rudely posted that "i was incapable to be reasoned with due to obsession with said gimmick" or something which is uncalled for. might i make a leap of logic myself and assume that you just can't stand anyone being different a la 2 chainz?

also, you make another embellished statement in above quote because

i mentioned the acolyte gimmick on only one other class, the n7 slayer in my "what is the best weapon for this class?" poll. i just mentioned it as an option while clearly stating that i preferred the talon on him. you really like to come down quickly on others with fabricated details. a shame, since you contribute useful information at the same time.