multiplayer item pack tips?

#1protomahnPosted 4/30/2013 2:24:22 PM
I've been reading a lot that in the beginning, you should spend all your credits on veteran packs until all the common and uncommon drops are maxed out before even considering the spectre packs. If the PSP guarantees 2 rares, isn't that already better than the veteran pack though? I'm obviously not familiar with multiplayer, and it also sounds like to level up a weapon to level X, it's pretty much random and not time-experience based.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Igqiz.gif
#2Nacht004Posted 4/30/2013 2:41:37 PM
In theory you're correct but in practice not so much. The idea comes behind it is quicker to be able to build up your inventory on packs that only cost 20k each as opposed to Spectres at 60k or PSPs at 99k. Not to mention if you're just starting you should be only playing Bronze/Silver initially until you have better equipment such that you'll be more useful in Gold, unless you plan on leaching, in which case, be prepared to get booted in many games.

Veteran will award you your common and uncommons fairly quickly especially given that there are fewer in number of those than rares+. There's also enough uncommon or less equipment that can be very worthwhile (The Mattock X is still a respected AR of choice by many).
---
There's really nothing to say.
GT - Pb Farmer
#3NefhithPosted 4/30/2013 2:41:53 PM
4 Recruit packs - 4 upgrades
1 Veteran pack - 1 upgrade, better, but more expensive and it's still one upgrade
1 Veteran pack - 4 Recruit packs

Start with the recruits, not veteran.
#4Nacht004Posted 4/30/2013 2:44:39 PM
Nefhith posted...
4 Recruit packs - 4 upgrades
1 Veteran pack - 1 upgrade, better, but more expensive and it's still one upgrade
1 Veteran pack - 4 Recruit packs

Start with the recruits, not veteran.

This is also true. When I started I bought nothing but Recruits until common weapons and gear were complete, then Veterans for uncommon characters, and weapons, and then straight to PSPs from there (at the time, Spectres since PSPs weren't a thing way back when).
---
GT - Pb Farmer
#5RunningFelapos1Posted 4/30/2013 2:45:42 PM
I started out mainly getting veteran packs after every two bronze matches, Until felt I had good enough characters/weapons to go into silver. And Then I could get spectre packs in a reasonable amount of time.

You're not missing out on too much by not maxing all the uncommons and commons. There's a couple decent uncommon guns like the mattock, or for beginners, the phaeston. But you could do fine without them.
#6Nacht004Posted 4/30/2013 2:49:14 PM
RunningFelapos1 posted...
I started out mainly getting veteran packs after every two bronze matches, Until felt I had good enough characters/weapons to go into silver. And Then I could get spectre packs in a reasonable amount of time.

You're not missing out on too much by not maxing all the uncommons and commons. There's a couple decent uncommon guns like the mattock, or for beginners, the phaeston. But you could do fine without them.

It's not just weapons though, it's gear too like the Smart Choke V, Extended Clips on multiple weapon types, and Armor Piercing, etc. That stuff makes a huge difference on many weapons. Plus once you max out uncommons you can continuously get level 3 equipment which also makes a big difference in higher level (gold+) play, and your team usefulness.
---
GT - Pb Farmer
#7protomahn(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 2:49:40 PM
Thanks for the tips. So the recommended optimized route would be to keep buying recruit packs until I reach level 10 for all the common gear, then veteran for uncommons until level 10 and then PSPs?

That sounds like quite a RNG grind..!
---
#8NefhithPosted 4/30/2013 2:51:47 PM(edited)
protomahn posted...
Thanks for the tips. So the recommended optimized route would be to keep buying recruit packs until I reach level 10 for all the common gear, then veteran for uncommons until level 10 and then PSPs?

It is. You don't know what are you getting into.

Edit: My gamertag is Nefhith, if you want something
#9overkill_78Posted 4/30/2013 2:57:28 PM
It's less about weapons are more about mods, gear, consumables, etc. While yes, the Rare and UR guns are better, you get mods for your gun (which make a huge difference), gear to equip (also a big difference), and consumbles to use during a fight (which als...you know what, you get the idea).
---
Change your name, change your eyes, become the one who I despise.
Gamertag: Nevik overkill
#10protomahn(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 3:04:41 PM(edited)
Nefhith posted...
protomahn posted...

It is. You don't know what are you getting into.

Edit: My gamertag is Nefhith, if you want something

You can give/trade items? I didn't think that was possible? I still need to finish single player (lol, I'm not even halfway done) but I can already feel multiplayer sinking in its teeth.

And I thought BF3 unlocks were a grind, this sounds even more hardcore.

also, I tend to feel that those one-time use consumables feel like such a waste since it only lasts for one mission, but I guess I have to get out of that mentality for this specifically.
---