Nerf the Javelin!

#21terrysmay04Posted 5/1/2013 6:07:11 AM
Javelin is the best SR in the game, I really don't think anything else comes close.

You can kill just about any enemy in the game with 4 cloaked shots, and if my gun only gets one shot it damn well better be a powerful one.
---
GT: THE Terry May
Keep clam and Chive on!
#22NefhithPosted 5/1/2013 6:17:41 AM
ArchMageSynok posted...
Hunter Mode is not worth it for a Javelin build. rate of fire is pointless on a one shot gun, so is accuracy on a sniper.

20% faster reload speed for debuffing recon mine. And faster rate of fire is also useful for reloads.
#23ArchMageSynok(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 7:43:04 AM
Nefhith posted...
ArchMageSynok posted...
Hunter Mode is not worth it for a Javelin build. rate of fire is pointless on a one shot gun, so is accuracy on a sniper.

20% faster reload speed for debuffing recon mine. And faster rate of fire is also useful for reloads.

you mean proxy mine? I usually use the cloak's cooldown for that.
---
http://i.imgur.com/UNFgs.jpg
#24terrysmay04Posted 5/1/2013 7:48:06 AM
Nefhith posted...
ArchMageSynok posted...

Does the Rof increase actually matter on single shot weapons? If it does it is a really insignificant amount of reload time reduction.

and you should never use proxy mine without using cloak first so the power recharge isn't going to help much either.
---
GT: THE Terry May
Keep clam and Chive on!
#25code_kirinPosted 5/1/2013 7:59:03 AM
The recharge does help a bit considering you're using a Javelin. You won't always break cloak immediately. I only really take HM for the hallhack. Javelin's built in wallhack scope is not a replacement for constant wallhack within 20m of you.
#26ArchMageSynok(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 8:25:05 AM
code_kirin posted...
The recharge does help a bit considering you're using a Javelin. You won't always break cloak immediately. I only really take HM for the hallhack. Javelin's built in wallhack scope is not a replacement for constant wallhack within 20m of you.

weigh doesn't matter on infiltrators, cloak's cooldown makes everything at most a 3 second cooldown. and if you know the spawns/enemy behavior, the wall hack holds little value over 100% more shields. when you know where the enemies will be coming from anyway, then the scope is enough to see through the wall and double check your assumption, then kill them with no return fire.
---
#27code_kirinPosted 5/1/2013 8:40:33 AM
ArchMageSynok posted...
code_kirin posted...

weigh doesn't matter on infiltrators, cloak's cooldown makes everything at most a 3 second cooldown. and if you know the spawns/enemy behavior, the wall hack holds little value over 100% more shields. when you know where the enemies will be coming from anyway, then the scope is enough to see through the wall and double check your assumption, then kill them with no return fire.

1. Your cooldown will never be 3 seconds. You stay in cloak for one second mandatory before your cooldown will start. Even if that wasn't the case, it would only be 3 seconds if you broke cloak immediately after activating it. With a Javelin, cloak's full cooldown is something like 10 seconds? Maybe more. Cloak only lasts 5 seconds. Spending any little extra time in cloak will rack up cooldown time. Weight does matter on infiltrators, just not as much.

2. Hunter Mode is always useful. You don't have 100% situational awareness. I guarantee it. You also only get 50% base shields out of skipping HM. It'll only ever give you a 325 shield advantage. Easily made up for by cyclonics if necessary. HM also gives other perks, so it's still a good deal.
#28ArchMageSynok(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 9:19:43 AM
code_kirin posted...
ArchMageSynok posted...
code_kirin posted...

1. Your cooldown will never be 3 seconds. You stay in cloak for one second mandatory before your cooldown will start. Even if that wasn't the case, it would only be 3 seconds if you broke cloak immediately after activating it. With a Javelin, cloak's full cooldown is something like 10 seconds? Maybe more. Cloak only lasts 5 seconds. Spending any little extra time in cloak will rack up cooldown time. Weight does matter on infiltrators, just not as much.

2. Hunter Mode is always useful. You don't have 100% situational awareness. I guarantee it. You also only get 50% base shields out of skipping HM. It'll only ever give you a 325 shield advantage. Easily made up for by cyclonics if necessary. HM also gives other perks, so it's still a good deal.

you right(now that I think about it), but unless I am using it to revive or going for objectives, I break cloak with 1-2 seconds anyway, so 3-5 seconds cooldown is usually what I get out of it.

what I meant by 100% more shields is HM drops your shields by 50%, therefore taking it off/not using it gives you 100% more base shields. (as an example, if you have 500 base sheilds, HM cuts it to 250, turning it off gives you 100% more shields than you had with it on, bringing it back up to 500). sometimes proper terminology is bad for getting your point across. sorry.

I also never said anything about 100% situational awareness, I'm saying I have enough awareness to where the difference is negligible.

HM is a great power, I'm not scoffing at it as a power, I just find most of its buffs to be of little value on this peticular build. acurracy and RoF buff are pointless with a single shot sniper, vision mode is redundant with with situational awareness and the Javelin scope, damage increase isn't enough to make less shots needed on bosses, power recharge is also redundant with cloak, movement speed is negated by adren mod (which I usually run on him). HM doesn't just take out 325 shields since in order to have the points to put into it you need to take out points from other skills, mostly likely shields (which lowers them futher, and your class power which lowers damage and headshot bonuses.

In the end it comes down to personal tastes. Out of curiousity how would you build yours?
---
#29code_kirinPosted 5/1/2013 9:38:59 AM
For the sniper build, you can only really sacrifice rank 6 of proxy for 3 ranks of fitness. It's not much, but it's also not reduced by HM. You have slightly more shielding than a basic human with 0 fitness that way.
#30p0iz3n0usPosted 5/1/2013 10:36:48 AM
sheepman23 posted...
p0iz3n0us posted...
Its called reload cancel and phasic rounds. Learn it, live it, love it

Yes, I'm well aware of what a reload cancel is. That doesn't help its incredibly low ammo capacity and charge-up shot.

The GI is not my favorite sniper anyway. I much prefer the QFI or Salarian, who both have better stun powers.

Use spare ammo mod, lead your targets/fire a split second before aiming (make sure cross hairs are centered or near target first). Learn it, live it, love it. #Javy GI FTW
---
XBL GT..........Sgt Tethras
http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/?name=Sgt%20Tethras&platform=xbox